Scott, Other/Just Looking in Malibu, CA

Does anyone know if you can put a mobile home as a temporary house on Topanga or Malibu land? I am buying

Asked by Scott, Malibu, CA Sat Jan 19, 2008

land, however I cannot yet afford to build a house. I was hoping I could do this as a solution for a year or so. Anyone familiar with the rules of the area? Thank you.

Answers

6
Mike "The Ma…, Agent, Malibu, CA
Fri Mar 7, 2008
Scott- The only way around this is to buy a tear down and do a remodel while living in the mobile home. There are a few properties in Topanga that could qualify as tear downs where you'll be paying a little bit over it's land value.
Susan Monus, Agent, Malibu, CA
Wed Feb 13, 2008
In Malibu, you can only put a mobile home as a temporary living quarters while you are in the actual building phase and you have installed your septic system. You must have a permit to do so.
Landman, , Topanga, CA
Sun Mar 7, 2010
Susan is the closest to being right, what you need to do and many people fail to do this is design where your "singlewide" temporary mobile home will be located on the property during your construction phase. You need to have this on the plans from the onset when you apply to Regional Planning for Approval in Concept. Of course there are certain setbacks ect that must be met, though you do not have to have the septic in yet. Andy Gump does a great job of pumping temp tanks. You do need to activate your approvals though and I believe once you get CofO you are given a time period by which to remove the temp housing. I have done this a couple of times and it works great while building. Best of luck well done in choosing your path Scott.
Russell, , Malibu, CA
Thu Feb 21, 2008
Like previous answers, it depends on local ordinances and you must be in the latter stages of construction. If you have any questions feel free to send me a message.
Jocky, Home Buyer, Arkansas
Sun Feb 10, 2008
Depends, probably you will have to apply to the Coastal commission, submit number of reports like seismic, soil, structural integrity etc. It takes a long time, since this is akin to new construction, and CC governing Malibu (don't know if they also control Topanga) is very strict
Elizabeth Mc…, , 90265
Thu Jan 31, 2008
Hi Scott: Have you purchased the land yet? The answer to this question can depend upon where the land is.