Wayne O`call…, Home Buyer in UK

Does anyone know anything about the Webster avenue / Melville st. area of Rochester? I am thinking of buying

Asked by Wayne O`callaghan, UK Sun Mar 23, 2008

I am thinking of buying in a street callaed Lamont Place in Rochester, it is just off Webster Ave. does anyone know much about the area? and Why are the houses so inexpensive? Some are for sale for around $40,000

Answers

7
It depends on what part of Melville Street that you are talking about. The area between Culver road and past Merchants Road are nice and quiet also just down the street from the North Winton area. The area that you speak of isn't too nice and that's probably why the price on the home is so low.
Melville Street is a great street. Prices vary according to condition. It's possible the $40,000 property is distressed. As you explore the neighborhood, you'll get a sense for values. Oh, and Melville is relatively close to fb.com/thepublicmarket : )

Pls let me know if I can help...
Wayne,

It looks like this question was posted a few years ago, but if you are still looking to invest in Rochester, we would be happy to assist you. We are not Realtors and therefore, not bound to the same regulations they have in which they cannot disclose any statistical data about a neighborhood that would be deemed "discriminatory". However, we can be honest with you about the demographics of certain areas and advise you which areas to invest in based on your comfort level.

There are many "bad" areas in the city and there are some that are not so bad. It depends on what your investment strategy is (buy/hold/rent or buy/rehab/flip) that will determine what market you invest in.

If you are still interested in this area, feel free to contact us via email at 1855JOEBUYS@gmail.com or call our number and leave a voice message with your contact information including your Skype username. That is how we contact many of our foreign investors.

Joe & Pam
Wayne, I see you are from te UK - are you buying it fr an investment? If so then the first hing you need is a property manager. I have owned rental real estate in these areas for years...I am NOT a property manager but perhaps can offer some insite...
Feel free to email me at ginnynapier@gmail.com
I agree. This is not a good area to settle in. When it comes to the east side of Rochester, if you are looking for an inexpensive home in nice neighborhoods, try east of Culver Road and west of Winton Road between Blossom extension and Merchants Road. West of Culver Road is only OK, if you are in the Park Avenue area. I live in the East Main/Culver area, so I know.
Hi There,

This is not a safe neighborhood. I grew up in the area. Homes were selling in the 30's, 20 years ago.
Extend your search to the East side of Culver Road. Also check out East & West Irondequoit, Brighton, Penfield, & East Rochester. Homes there have better resale value. Good luck!

Mary Anne
Wayne, Those are fairly typical City of Rochester home prices. Incredible, right? Prices are low because the region has experienced a two decade longterm economic slide and corresponding population loss--a recession from which it is only now recovering. Rochester has tremendous assets--colleges, high tech sector, health services, the arts--which have always been world-class and are serving as an engine for the area's rebirth. The area's past troubles, however, offer today's investors terriffic opportunities, including low purchase prices WITH appreciating values! The City government--I know the commissioner of community development--has an aggressive plan for encouraging urban living, including targeted public investments in select areas. Email me at if I can be of further help. GerryV