Does anyone know about Boulevard Gardens in Woodside, NY? I am interested in a 1 bedroom apartment with a

Asked by Cris, New York, NY Thu Jan 10, 2008

walk in closet and 2 other large closets. New kitchen and marble bath too. Skyline view of Manhattan. 4th floor? Asking price $211,000 cash. Is that too much for the area?

Answers

26
Dee, , Forest Hills, Queens, NY
Mon Feb 11, 2008
I grew up in the Woodside Houses projects, about one block from the southern end of the Gardens. FYI, if you're thinking of buying there. I believe its more of an enclave situation, although they're a lovely complex. Do a thorough wlk-thru of the immediate neighborhood.
Doug Hulin, , Woodside, Queens, NY
Thu Apr 3, 2008
To answer Southernbell's question about the safety of the neighborhood, I have lived there for 8 months now and can't recall one time where I've felt unsafe. Granted I'm a guy (with a name like southernbell I'm assuming you're a woman) and I know women attract more harassment on the street, unfortunately. I agree that the walk is dark from the train to the apartment, but keep in mind that there are houses and apartments all the way down the street, so it's not as if you're walking through an industrial neighborhood where no one lives. My impression of the whole neighborhood is that it is very family oriented, blvd gardens included, and that's a good sign. I don't come home past midnight a whole lot, but when I do I do not encounter groups of people loitering around waiting to mug me... Check with the police to see what the crime rate is there, I bet it's pretty low. In terms of the proximity to low income housing, they're actually some of the 'nicer' projects I've seen (better taken care of, and quieter). Also, I don't really find a need to walk near them for the most part.

The E takes over for the R after midnight, yes. I don't know about a plan to run the R after midnight but that would be nice. When I moved there I thought I would find the commute to be a real pain when coming home late but I've been pleasantly surprised.

If price is a consideration, there's never going to be a PERFECT neighborhood. No, there a not a lot of great restaurants right outside your door at blvd gardens, but the same could be said of Williamsburg 10 years ago (there's also peace and quiet at blvd gardens, which can't be said of Williamsburg now). But you're very close to 30th ave and Astoria if you want variety.

I don't know of any neighborhood left this close to Manhattan where you can get a nice one bedroom for 200k. This neighborhood has been slowly improving and will only continue to get better. It's a buyer's market. Take a chance.
GB, , Woodside, Queens, NY
Thu Jul 24, 2008
Hello, I am a single 36 year-old female who has been a resident of the Boulevard Gardens for 5 years now. After 14 months of apartment hunting, I found the Boulevard Gardens and fell in love with it the first time I walked thru the courtyard. I do not have a car so convenience and safety was important in finding a place to live. Prior to purchasing, I had spent several days checking out the neighborhood and surrounding areas and found the neighborhood to be quiet and safe. Since then, I have never felt frightened walking alone at night or walking from the train after a late night out. The trains, which are 3 blocks away and about an 8 minutes walk, are convenient for travel into the city. My commute to the office in mid-town is 45 mins door-to-door. You can also take the Q18 bus, which stops in front of CVS, which will take you to the Woodside/LIRR station and to Astoria and Long Island City as well. Our complex is about a 15 minute walk to Steinway where you will find all kinds of stores, and cafes, lounges, bars, and restaurants near by. The movie theater is 3 train stops away and there's a 24 hour supermarket, Trade Fair, right across from the complex. There is also a small shopping center about 6-7 blocks away on Northern Blvd. If you are looking for a nice and peaceful neighborhood where neighbors watch out for each other then this is the place for you. I really like the strong sense of family/community and the diversity of my neighbors. I can honestly say that my 5 years here have been wonderful. I loved it so much here that three years after moving in, I sold my 1 bedroom apartment and purchased a 2 bedroom across the courtyard. If you find the price steep, try to negotiate it down as that is what I did. If you’ve looked at the surrounding area sales prices, I am sure you will note that many are more expensive. They also tend to have higher maintenance fees and more increases than we do here (I know this from my friends who live near by). Don’t always go by the price as that is only one aspect of the buying process. Walk around the neighborhood and see the apartments then you can get a better feel. Best of luck in your search!
Ccfoodpantry, Home Buyer, Woodside, NY
Fri May 13, 2016
Before BG went Co-op there were lots of street fights cuz we had 3 bars. Once those were gone peace was restored to BG. We no longer have gangs of hooligans running around nor do we have any trouble from the Woodside Housing across the street. So don't believe it cuz its not true. Sure there's a lot of elderly here cuz they were born and raised here. Now we get lovely young couples moving in. They want a decent, affordable place to live, and that's what you get at B.G.
Southernbell…, , Astoria, Queens, NY
Tue Apr 1, 2008
I looked at a place in Boulevard Gardens which I really liked but am concerned about the walk between the R/V line and the complex. It seemed pretty dark and knowing it is next to the low income housing and has bad street lighting is a bit of a concern knowing I will walk it at midnight coming home from work on a regular basis, but also when thinking about when it comes time to sell.

Does any one who lives there know if there are problems on the street?

Also - does the E train take over for the R at midnight?? I heard rumor that the R might start to run through to Manhattan late night, so maybe it will continue to Queens as well??

Thanks in advance for any advice you may have....
Doug Hulin, , Woodside, Queens, NY
Fri Jan 18, 2008
I moved in to blvd gardens last august. It is a great place to live, convenient to Astoria but still peaceful and quiet if you're into that. Also extremely convenient to the east side of manhattan, took a lot of the headache out of my commute to work. In terms of the price, I might see if I could get them to come down closer to 200k, but if it's been recently renovated and new appliances, etc, I would say it's well worth it. If you consider what you can buy in bklyn for 300k (i.e. a hole in the wall in an unsafe neighborhood that's an hour away from midtown), then there's really not much to think about. I think the Woodside neighborhood is going to take off in the next 5 years or so as more people realize that brooklyn is overpriced. Sure Queens isn't as hip as Brooklyn, but being broke and/or paying rent isn't that hip to me either. There's plenty of restaurants near blvd gardens, a movie theater not too far away, the aforementioned easy subway ride, etc. etc. Have you seen the apartment? By all means go and check it out. The complex itself is beautiful with huge courtyards and trees and greenery. It's very unique for NYC. Good luck!
Maewest29, Home Buyer, Queens, NY
Sat Jun 24, 2017
Very good price. Near stores, near all transportation. 15 minutes from Manhattan. Don't know about view. Been here 45 years. It's a good, decent, friendly place to live.
Soymoayan, Home Buyer, Queens, NY
Wed Oct 12, 2016
I bought a 1bdrm unit at Boulevard Gardens almost 10 years ago. Early on I harbored the same concerns as those mentioned here: the dark walk from train, being close to not only the projects but a high school as well, and the parking challenge. But those cons were easily eclipsed by many pros: proximity to train and city, quiet serenity of garden grounds, 24-hr trade fair, a hop from bars and restaurants that may not be the hippest but just as enjoyable, maintenance office has always been prompt and efficient in my experience despite rumors of otherwise. One really doesn't have to walk far to have all needs met. Though I wish there could be a gym that is closer-by.
Up til now, I've never encountered any crimes or felt so much as a threat of one. Boulevard Gardens newsletter warned against assaults at one point, which is a good reminder that we are still living in a big city. It could actually slip the mind, that's how quaint it feels here.
This gem is best appreciated by those who've graduated from the fear of missing out by not living smack dab where the action is. Those who prefer a friendly, quiet neighborhood where you can hear birds sing while knowing that smack-dab isn't far from reach.
As for pricing, I've kept tabs over the years and it really varies depending on the condition and details. Overall though with the pros of the complex itself and the location, I think it's quite a steal when butt up against comparable properties. Oh forgot to mention that maintenance fee is lower than most as well. Beat that!
Ccfoodpantry, Home Buyer, Woodside, NY
Mon Sep 12, 2016
Don't buy a co-op! I just found out you cannot have a living trust if you own a co-op. I cannot leave my apartment to my daughter. It would be easier because it would avoid probate, an expensive and lengthy court procedure. Buy a condo.
Do you have $$$$ to give me to buy a condo? If not, don't give opinions here when you know many buyers can't afford a condo.
Flag Thu Sep 15, 2016
Ccfoodpantry, Home Buyer, Woodside, NY
Fri May 13, 2016
No. Rare to get a view of Manhattan. It must be F Bldg. Check it out first. Make sure your bldg has a laundry, there's only 4 in a complex of 10 bldg. Maintenance low. Close to bus, train, l.I.railroad. lots of stores, restaurants, etc. Make sure your neighbor on 5 floor is not noisy. Good price.
hyderali.urg…, Home Buyer, Elmhurst, NY
Sun Sep 22, 2013
If you are interested to find the information about this topic you must have a look at this website you will find all the answers of your question here. http://www.horsematting-direct.co.uk
Whoknew, Renter, Astoria, NY
Tue Dec 6, 2011
Grew up there between '97-'10 (3 generations of my family actually) and I can tell you it is safe to an extent. They have 2-3 security guards who do nothing but walk around aimlessly, and look as though they couldn't chase down anyone if something serious were to happen. Want to know what they do? Yell at kids playing ball, then go to watch sports in their HUB. It is right across the street from the projects, and there have been recent shootings there, I witnessed one myself actually, given I was walking around 2am. Well I can tell you that most of your neighbors will be elderly who have been there for 30+ years, but since a lot are dropping dead now new and culturally different people are moving in. In 2007 there were 2 incidences of random sexual assault and I do not know more of the details, they had a flyer going around to let people be aware of it. It's no more dangerous than the rest of the middle class areas of Queens. Also there was a suicide of one of the tenants, jumped out the window I kid you not. That doesn't really have much to do with the complex itself though. Just be aware that there is public housing down the block and it's located next to a sub-par zoned high school. How I hated the people in that school, 35% graduation rate, yeah. You don't even want to know. Other than all the negatives above, the grass and trees are nice, people are generally friendly, and it's quieter than most areas. The renovations are looking wonderful.

Management wise - I'm not going to speak for myself as it was one of the worst ordeals in my life and I'm glad I left. From other posts her it is true, you have to pull teeth to get anything done for your unit from them.

Oh and yes I actually know of those gangs of hooligans, they drink, smoke, yell and scream, and this has been going on since the 60's probably even before. I know because my family grew up there as well. Good luck if you are on a lower floor. Nothing is ever done about it and the kids literally claim it is as their hangout. Highly disturbing.
Natalie, Home Owner, Queens, NY
Tue Mar 1, 2011
Hi, I have bought my studio in August 2008, around the same time most of those posts were made but I haven’t seen them then so it was interesting to read what others had to say about Boulevard Gardens at the same time I was buying there. I am a female in late 20s working in Midtown East and I LOVE living in BG (as I call it). When looking for an apartment, I wanted something affordable, nice, within a walkable distance to restaurants/gym/yoga, with good grocery store nearby, and safe, and an easy commute to midtown Manhattan. Basically I wanted quality living, easy commute, and affordability – all my friends were saying I am crazy and I will not be able to find such thing. But little they knew…. I found Boulevard Gardens.

A few additional things I discovered later that keep me excited:
1) All gardens are private property and there is a security guard on duty. This also comes handy when there is someone outside your window at night who is loud. In other buildings, you just need to suck it up and wait for that person to leave. Here, you can simply dial the security guard and they will take care of it.
2) There is a monthly newsletter going to all residents talking about all events related to BG, including any current or future developments. And there were surprisingly many developments in those 2 years: new parking garage, new storage in the basement (which I love to put my seasonal goods/clothes to), new video intercom system, …
3) Seriously good neighborhood feeling where people live together and help out each other.

Hope my comments will help anyone looking at Boulevard Gardens.
-Natalie
Natalie, Home Owner, Queens, NY
Tue Mar 1, 2011

-Natalie
Demar, Home Buyer, Woodside, Queens, NY
Thu Feb 17, 2011
It's an okay place to live, but there are gangs of hooligans that hang out, drink and smoke at all hours in the courtyard. If you live on the lower floors good luck sleeping during the summer months and the management really doesn't give two s@#ts about it either. You have to brow beat them to get anything done in your apartment too.

As for every one else's ascertion that the folks in the projects don't bother anyone, don't believe it. One of them just mugged my 96 year old neighbor a couple of weeks ago.
Italianhunk, , Queens, NY
Sat Nov 21, 2009
I worked there as a porter about eight years ago and it wasnt bad at the time. That neighborhood seems fine. Plus I use to go over there as a kid with my mom because her girlfriend Cathy and their son doug lived in the complex. Never had a problem with anyone.
Anna M Brocco, Agent, Williston Park, NY
Fri Nov 20, 2009
Why not take the time and visit the area yourself--opinions are just that; check out transportation, shops, dine at a local eatery, look at everything that is important to you and take it from there.
Sarah, , Woodside, Queens, NY
Thu Jan 8, 2009
I don't live in the Gardens, but my boyfriend and a few other friends do. I agree with most of what's been written here-- beautiful grounds, useful and interesting stores/restaurants/bars down 30th Avenue, non-hip atmosphere (thank goodness), and accessibility to the R/V/E/G trains and to major roadways (Northern, BQE and Grand Central).

As for the somewhat dark walk from the R/V/E train... yeah, it's not the best feeling at 2 in the morning. You come up out of the subway onto Northern, and all the stores are closed. The street lighting on the residential street you walk down is practically non-existent. However, if you remind yourself that you're walking past your neighbors houses--the folks you see at the Trade Fair and CVS every day--and walking next to your fellow Woodside/Astorians, you realize there's little to be afraid of. If you want better lighting, you can get off the train at the 46th Street stop. The walk is about 8 minutes longer.

As for the inevitable "but it's next to the projects!" comments here... the only difference I can find between the NYCHA Woodside Complex and the Boulevard Gardens Complex is the price. (And actually, some folks at the Gardens are paying less because they've been there for so long!) People are people. The same adorable kids are playing in each complex's playgrounds, the same older folks are feeding the squirrels, and the same parents and singles and couples are coming home to relax after a long day of work. It's a good place to live.
Antolin Du B…, Other Pro, New York, NY
Fri Sep 12, 2008
You'll like the playground, but how about the schls? (Srry, thr's no spc fr vwls, mch lss chldrn)
Mary, Home Buyer, Astoria/Woodside
Fri Sep 12, 2008
Hello everyone, I’m happy to hear that my home is getting so much attention. I have been a resident of Boulevard Gardens for over 6 years. I’m a 30 year old female, former manhattanite and love it here. There is a kid's playground which I look forward to taking advantage of when I have my family. I also love that there is so much to do within a 1 mile radius. If you look along 30th avenue which is the part of the development where I live, there is NY sports club nearby for gym buffs like me, there are great bars like Blackbirds that just opened up, a great wine store that offers wine and cheese tasting on 45th and 30th ave and of course your other conveniences such the 24hr supermarket and CVS. I lived in Astoria prior to moving here and I have to say that it doesn’t feel like I ever left. This is because my particular building is located right on the border of Astoria and Woodside so many of the great stores associated with Astoria are just walking distance (including the famous 30th avenue cafes). Like other people who have posted, I too have tripled my investment since moving here and even in this buyer's market, 2 bedroom apartments like mine are flying off the market. Oh and by the way, not all the floors smell like curry- some smell like pizza, others like rice and beans, some like potatoes and some like sushi. If you get my point, this is a very diverse and friendly community of which I am very proud.
Antolin Du B…, Other Pro, New York, NY
Tue Jul 29, 2008
Glad someone mentioned the projects, although they are not terribly bad. Boulevard Gardens is cheap because there is nothing hip around. It is a good area to live in, if you don't expect sidewalk cafes. The area has tons of shopping, like Home Depot, the big blue appliance store whose name skips me, modells, but nothing unique or catchy. No, the area will not suddenly become hip, simply because many of those businesses are not leaving- the same taxi garage I worked at 11 years ago is still there. Also, this area has no abandoned buildings that attract the artist type a la Williamsburg 10 years ago. The area won't go down much either, since the area tends to attract hard working immigrants who keep their kids in check. Parking, is a little difficult, as many of the two family homes have illegal garage appartments. Schools, naturally, are overcrowded, but not bad. The commute to Manhatten is easy, and will get easier when the Eastside Access at Woodside comes in, although that is a long walk away.

Bottom line? For maybe 25k-50k more, I would look for an equivalent 1 Bedroom in Forest Hills, which has no projects, is more architectually appealing, has an equivalent commute and parking problem, and better schools. Yeah, you will pay more, but you won't eventually view your apartment as simply a place to park your head at night.

Oh, and that skyline view of Manhatten: it might get a little obscured with all the upcoming development in LIC.
Cris, Home Buyer, New York, NY
Wed Apr 2, 2008
I totally agree with the walk from the train to the complex. It is very dark and vacant! There were some creepy people hanging around the train too. I had to pass on the complex. Those realtors down the block are super sketchy too! Stay away from them! Although the complex itself was beautiful and it is a quick ride into Manhattan, there is nothing around but CVS, chinese, pizza, and an old man's Irish bar. No thanks! Also every floor in the building reeked of curry! I love to eat Indian food, but I don't want to smell it every day. Yuck!
Lisa D'Amico, Agent, New York, NY
Wed Apr 2, 2008
Some of the best advice about what neighborhoods are like, I got from a police officer - Go to the local police precinct and check the precinct reports. That'show you find out if an area is low incident or high incident.
Shoshanah, Home Buyer, Boulevard Gardens
Thu Feb 21, 2008
Boulevard Gardens has proven to be a fantastic investment. I have almost tripled my investment since moving in 5 years ago. I rented in Astoria (and loved it), and looked into purchasing in Manhattan, Williamsburg and Long Island City but could only afford to rent. I am now close in Manhattan and in walking distance to Astoria's restaurants and cafes. I have felt welcomed here at BG from day one, and really like the diversity of our residents from the old timers, to our immigrant families from all over the globe, to our Manhattan/Brooklyn hip transplants. I truly love BG's parklike setting. Suggestion... If you decide to move to this great find, join the gardening club. It's a great way to meet your neighbors! T(PS--(Don't wait on BG... I had an opportunity 13 years ago of buying a home in East Williamsburg and walked away from the deal. I am still kicking myself over it!)
Lisa D'Amico, Agent, New York, NY
Sun Feb 3, 2008
I have done sales at Boulevard Gardens for the last 13 years. The apartments have continued to appreciate and are a great value - especially when you compare them to area prices, Long Island City prices and Brooklyn prices. This sounds like a fully renovated unit. If that is the case then $211,000 is not out of bounds. If you want something for less money, you should consider looking at units renovated in the last 1-5 years. They will sell for less, many are in mint condition and are an excellent value. You can contact me at my office 718-545-0716 if you have any additonal questions. Best of luck
Henry Cunala…, , Bayside, Queens, NY
Thu Jan 10, 2008
There is 1 2 bedroom available with "updated Kitchen With Marble Floors. 10 Minutes From Manhattan. Playground For Kids. Huge Seating Area" They are asking $289,000. Please send me your email and I will set you up to receive "alerts" when a unit becomes available.
Web Reference:  http://www.henrycunalata.com