Home Buying in Clifton>Question Details

Njkobe24, Home Buyer in Clifton, NJ

Does anyone have any information regarding those unsightly electrical towers and living in a house near them?

Asked by Njkobe24, Clifton, NJ Thu Jan 24, 2013

Answers

8
The bottom line is....it really does come down to preception.

I have had buyers tell me they, personally, are not bothered by a home's proximity to the tower or wires - but - they are concerned that when they go to sell others will shy away from buying the home.

They are correct, which is why you need to be mindful of the price you pay.

Best wishes........
1 vote Thank Flag Link Fri Jan 25, 2013
In 10 years as a Realtor I have Googled this issue many times and could never find and conclusive information about it.

As stated below you should get a better deal and expect resale value to be below expectations.

I have met many seniors who lived under these wire for years so that must tell you something.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Fri Jan 25, 2013
I live and work in Clifton and have sold and listed homes near the towers. Public service will give a complementary report on the emf situation to any resident that asks for one. The lines run through Clifton Montclair cedar grove and the caldwells. Some people do not want to live earthen but many people have no problem with them. I would be happy to find you a home in Clifton in a location that meets your needs
1 vote Thank Flag Link Thu Jan 24, 2013
There is, and will continue to be controversy regarding high tension wires, and whether they are potentially harmful or not.

Many years ago when this became a hot button topic, in my town, which has wires running through some neighborhoods, they did a a lot of investigation and had a number of scientific studies done....even held town meetings as there are wires running near an elementary school.

Nothing conlcusive, indicating danger, was found.

Many scientitsts say we are exposed to more "rays" (simple word to use, although not scientific) from our hair dryers and microwaves than from proximity to those wires.
Just as an FYI - you can call and have PSE&G or Jersey Central come in and take a reading .

So.......The jury is out with any kind of definitive answer.

Putting scientific studies aside - for a buyer - the real issue is perception.

Homes near or under those wires do sell for less.
However, they DO sell, and usually, in my experience, the buyer gets a lot more house for the money than if the home were located on a different street.

So.......do your due dillgence.......understand that you should be getting a really good, discounted price for that home,
When you go to sell in the future, you may have more challenges, and will really need to price the home accordingly.

There are buyers who won't get out of the car to see the home once they are told the wires are there -but....... there are also buyers who are not concerned about it, and appreciate they will be getting a good buy.

It's a personal decision.

1 vote Thank Flag Link Thu Jan 24, 2013
Electromagnetic fields (EMFs) are created by electric power charges. There are 2 types of fields: electric fields or voltage fields.Studies have suggested, BUT NOT CONCLUSIVELY PROVEN, a correlation between exposure to EMFs and a higher-than-normal incidence of leukemia & certain cancers. Several studies point to health hazards among children who live close to power lines & among people who are exposed to high levels of EMFs at their jobs. For every scientist who believes that EMFs cause health problems, another disagrees.
I can tell you from first hand experience - there is a golf course out here in West Texas that has part of the back 9 holes running under those electrical towers. When I paly under them, I can feel the electric charge in my clubs, on the golf cart & a vibration through my body. Needless to say, I only play the front 9 on that course!
1 vote Thank Flag Link Thu Jan 24, 2013
I grew up in a neighborhood with towers as well. There are ZERO of my friends who have cancer, ZERO with special needs children. All of us are in our 50's and 60's now. I find it ridiculous when people use scare tactics to avoid having them in or near their neighborhood. Like I said, you actually forget they are there. I refuse to lower the price of my home any lower is already 30% less than all the homes that recently sold in my area. I will wait for the right buyer, someone who wants a great house in one of the best school districts.
My swimming pool is right in front of the tower.. never once have I or anyone else who had visited my home felt anything coming from the tower.
Flag Thu Aug 8, 2013
It depends, they have done studies and they have said that they do not effect anything living near them, at the least they are hard to look at but who really knows what the long term effects are.
I had clients who fell in love with a house near high tension wires. There were already some health issues in the family and we decided together that if the health situation deteriorated, despite the fact that there seemed to be no definitive link to the wires and any specific health issues both the family and I would wonder if the wires were linked. So for me and my clients, it was not worth the risk.
So each family considering buying a house in such a location must look into the research and decide for themselves. Today we have so much access to research through the internet. There are allegations, but nothing proven as far as I understand what I read.
I have a tower in my back yard (1/2 way point of my 2 acres in a great school district in Pittsburgh, Pa. Its been on the market since December with the price lowered twice already. I have lived here 16 years with no issues. In fact my swimming pool is right next to it. I think some are afraid of it, some don't like the look.. but after 16 years I forgot it was even there. I sure hope mine sells soon!!