Does anyone have an estimate for the cost of demolishing a house and building the foundation from scratch?

Asked by Sarah, Oakland, CA Wed May 21, 2008

We're looking at a home in a slide area that will need the strongest reinforcements available. We saw an estimate of $200sqFt, but that was on retrofitting an existing home. Is there a significant price difference?

Answers

3
Nicole Bailey, Agent, Seattle, WA
Tue May 27, 2008
Hi Sarah!

I'ts much closer to $300 to $350 per square foot in Berkeley. A new hillside foundation can cost $400K easily. That's my information anyway.

Nicole
Juliet Wright, Agent, Brighton, CO
Thu May 22, 2008
Hi Sarah,
I'm sorry I do not have the cost estimate you are looking for, I do have some information that may help you out considerably - financially at least.
If you are planning to demo a home, contact your local fire department and ask them about donating the home to them for firefighter training purposes. In my area, they will use the home over a period of several months (doing lots of damage to the home in the process) and they are just estatic when someone makes a house available to them. Before you begin, get an appraisal done on the property; then, when they are finished with it, they will send in a contractor to bid on repairs (as if you were actually going to do the repairs). The amount of the bid is considered a "non cash donation to a charitable organization" and is a tax write off! The appraisal will support the cost of the repairs. Your fire department should have all this information for you.
I had a client who wrote off $350,000 on his taxes, more than enough for him to justify the actual out-of-pocket cost of the demo. Check with an accountant to see if you can carry this write off over several years if you need to.
This particular client found a demo contractor who basically stripped the house of useable materials, and sold them to a salvage firm. The contractor made about $20K in salvage, and then only charged the client $15K for the actual demo. The client got the write-off - and was very happy - and the contractor was happy too! Good luck!
Dan, Home Buyer, Fremont, CA
Thu May 22, 2008
about 100 to 150 dollars per square foot of the home that you are trying to build.