Does a seller have to repair mold problems before selling a home in New York state?

Asked by Rogermaple222, Leonia, NJ Fri Jul 6, 2012

Answers

6
Anna M Brocco, Agent, Williston Park, NY
Sat Jul 7, 2012
It may be in your best interest to handle any mold issues beforehand...
Gail Gladsto…, Agent, 11743, NY
Fri Jul 6, 2012
Most buyers are fearful about mold. If you are a seller, It would be in your best interest, no matter what state you reside in, to take care of the problem before putting the house on the market.

If you are a buyer and concerned about who is responsible, the truth of the matter is that 99% of mold is absolutely harmless.

What you want to find out is what is causing the humidity that is causing the mold and repair that. Is there a leak that is not evident?

gail@GladstoneGroupRealty.com
631-425-6150
Martina Ryan, Agent, Bayside, NY
Fri Jul 6, 2012
No, but financially it may be worth your while to do so.
Margaret PEG…, , 10965
Fri Jul 6, 2012
The seller does not have to remediate the mold problem by law, however some banks MAY require it depending on the type of loan buyer is seeking. If seller refuses then yet bringing in a mold removal company and get an estimate.
allan erps,A…, Agent, Pearl River, NY
Fri Jul 6, 2012
Technically no but unless the Seller is foolish they should remediate the problem or give you a price reduction/credit. Personally I would not feel too comfortable in that situation expecially if I had children or anyone in my household with allergies. Hope you had a thorough home inspection as well. Need any help, let me know as this is my area of expertise and have probably seen the home in my travels! Best of Luck, Allan

Allan Erps, ABR,SFR,C.O.R.E.
Licensed Real Estate Salesperson
BHG Rand Realty
95 S Middletown Rd
Nanuet, NY 10954
VM(24 Hours) 845-624-8100 X141
Cell Phone/Text 845-304-3040
Fax# 845-624-7137
My Email: allan.erps@randrealty.com
For the latest in Buyers and Sellers Resources,
visit my website at; http://www.allanerps.randrealty.com
or find me on Trulia at;
http://www.trulia.com/profile/allanerps
Tim Moore, Agent, Kitty Hawk, NC
Fri Jul 6, 2012
I doubt you would "have to" but it might prevent the home from selling if the buyer walked away.