Does a home in Newburyport, MA have to have another form of egress if all it has is an internal spiral staircase?

Asked by Gail, 03290 Fri Jul 22, 2011

Help the community by answering this question:

+ web reference
Web reference:


Raymond Garcia’s answer
Raymond Garc…, , 02050
Fri Nov 25, 2011
Building codes require 2 (two) forms of egress.

If you have a very old house and are planning some kind of renovation, you may be required to provide an additional means of egress to comply with the new code. It' may be impossible due to the original design of the building, in which case you may have to seek a variance.

Hope this helps!

Ray Garcia
0 votes
Search Advice
Ask our community a question

Email me when…

Learn more