Do you use reverse prospecting?

Asked by The_Bayou, Newton, MA Fri Feb 8, 2008

neighborhoods, but because of the state of the market there is very little inventory in those neighborhoods. Do you go the extra distance for your buyer clients - approaching owners of homes that are not on the market to determine their interest in selling?

Answers

7
Morriah Mcph…, , Atlanta, GA
Fri Feb 8, 2008
Yes, when my clients have specific neighborhoods that they are interested in, I have sent postcards to the neighborhood(s) to find prospective sellers. In my experience, a follow-up call to the homeowners is sometimes necessary to get responses. Remember that by doing this, you may lose some leverage as the owner may not be as motivated to sell and they know that you really want to buy.
Carrie Crowe…, Agent, Southaven, MS
Fri Feb 8, 2008
Yes I do. I have often sent out letters or postcards to a subdivision my client wanted to live in letting them know I had a client interested, were they thinking about selling soon. You would be surprised to know that you actually get responses. Sometimes you even get a purchase for your client. If my client said I want that house, I would go and knock on the door!
Web Reference:  http://carriecrowell.com
Tim, , Boston, MA
Thu May 1, 2008
Bayou,

Search the web and you will find some great reverse prospecting success stories, with Laurie Manny's being among the best. If you know what the buyer wants, and the buyer is serious, it is worth a shot at awakeing the sleeping giant and finding that seller that may be on the fence about selling in this market.

Check out UTerms as a reverse prospecting reference.
Web Reference:  http://www.UTerms.com
Laurie Manny, , Long Beach, CA
Wed Mar 19, 2008
I have successfully reverse prospected for a specific property a buyer wanted but was not available. Attached find a link to an article I wrote about one of the purchases I was able to accommodate through reverse prospecting.
J R, , New York, NY
Fri Feb 8, 2008
Yes, and some agents in my office have even take ads out in the local paper.
Carol Andres…, , Pittsburgh, PA
Fri Feb 8, 2008
Yes. I have mailed letters to homeowners on particular streets when I have a client who wants to live on that street. I have received calls from those letters, but to date, I have not had the opportunity to bring a buyer and a seller together. In each case, something didn't match up, whether it was timing or price or amenities.
Scott A. Nel…, , 02155
Fri Feb 8, 2008
Yes I do as well. Just recently I had a client looking for a specific type of home. Just before Thanksgiving I mailed out to every homeowner in the area that had a home with similar features. I recieved 2 phone calles from homeowners on Thanksgiving while I was carving my Turkey. After the holiday I recieved some phone calls from owners who were impressed I knew their neighborhood so well and would try something like this. Seems it doesn't happen all that often around here.
Web Reference:  http://www.Medfordhouse.com