Do you need to work in the state you purchase your first home in, even if you fly out to work each week nd come home each weekend?

Asked by alia, Sacramento, CA Tue Apr 30, 2013

Help the community by answering this question:

+ web reference
Web reference:


Johnny James, Agent, Carson, CA
Wed Nov 13, 2013
There is no law that requires you to work in the state you purchase a home.
0 votes
Gregorio Den…, , San Diego, CA
Tue Apr 30, 2013
It's truly a shame that the only 2 actual lenders that responded, did so with their typical copy and paste answers that they give everyone. Frankly, it's insulting that thye don't even bother to address your question but rather use it as an opportunity to do an infomercial for their services.

You don't need to work in the state, you can buy a home regardless; financing the home may be more of an issue. For it to be considered owner occupied, you will have to prove that it is your primary residence and that can be difficult when you work out of state. This is not to say it cannot be done. It's easier if it's your only property. You will have to occupy it within a short period of time after closing and provide letters of explanation as to why you work out of state. A good loan officer should have no problem getting this done for you. There is always investor financing available if you cannot prove owner occupancy.
Web Reference:  http://WeFixRates.Com
0 votes
Thank you for addressing my question. It would be my only property. Would you be able to explain how I would prove owner occupancy? Thank you for your help.
Flag Wed May 1, 2013
Ron Thomas, Agent, Fresno, CA
Tue Apr 30, 2013
Hard way to make a living; Actors and Singers do it a lot!
No, you are Okay.
0 votes
Randall Ortiz, Agent, Sacramento, CA
Tue Apr 30, 2013
Not in California, but if you are getting a loan and are not going to live in the house, then you will have to get a Non owner occupied loan. Contact me if you need more help.
0 votes
David Oberha…, Agent, Newbury Park, CA
Tue Apr 30, 2013
I not sure about other states but CA does not require that you live in the state to be able to purchase here. I hope this anwsers your question.
0 votes
Search Advice
Ask our community a question

Email me when…

Learn more