Do new home incentives typically increase or decrease in February vs. January? We are trying to figure out the best timing for builder incentives.

Asked by Sam, Apex, NC Wed Jan 20, 2010

Answers

5
Linda Jandura, , Cary, NC
Tue Mar 16, 2010
Trying to figure out the best time to buy in this market will only make you crazy. As other responders have mentioned, it all depends on the builder and what inventory they have available that they want to sell quickly.
In previous years I have seen a lot more incentives in November and December when buiders are trying to finish the year off in the black.

While everyone is looking for a bargain and to get the best price, remember, this is your HOME ! Find a home in a neighborhood that you would want to live in, and then use a buyer''s agent to help you negoitate the best deal. Of course, I would love to be that buyer's agent for you! Please feel free to call or email me anytime.

Linda
Web Reference:  http://www.nchomesfinder.com
Dan Chase, Home Buyer, Texas City, TX
Wed Mar 3, 2010
Another thought to consider. This year the government is giving away $8,000 just for buying a house. Many sellers (and developers) know this and will expect people to rush to buy for the free money and may wait until that rush ends to offer any discounts.

2010 is a strange year to buy because of the government interference.
Jennifer Joh…, Agent, Apex, NC
Wed Mar 3, 2010
This is a very complicated answer, because there are areas, price points and neighborhoods to consider. The current economy has created a place where each neighborhood must be analyzed independently. I am a broker who lives, lists and sells in Apex, and I know the Apex, Cary and Morrisville area very well. I am happy to provide you with deteailed neighborhood information if you would like to contact me at Jennifer@JenniferSELLS.com Good luck!

Jennifer
Deborah Mill…, Agent, Durham, NC
Fri Feb 12, 2010
Sam I am a Triangle Broker with Coldwell Banker HPW in Southpoint. Lately a number of new builders have been stopping by and leaving flyers with a number of incentives. I have seen an increase this month February over January this year 2010 anyway. I agree with the first responder it does depend on inventory. In the triangle currently a number of the current builders have a certain amount of homes they are offering these incentitives for. One builder was offering the following this month to pay the allowable closing costs, and up to 10,000 that can be used for add ons and they do say in fine print it is for a limited time. I think this builder say that it was until the end of February. So likely they do have an inventory that this is aimed at. They are offering buyer and broker incentitives and one builder did share with me yesterday that their market is slow right now. I talked with several other community builder reps who were also running other limited time only offers. I hope this is helpful and if you have specific questions about these builders or additional questions about the Triangle Builders I will be glad to elaborate more or provide additional assistance.

Deborah Rigsbee Miller
Coldwell Banker, Howard Perry & Walston - Southpoint
Durham, NC 27713 919-491-2826
Ron Mangas,…, Agent, McLean, VA
Wed Jan 20, 2010
In my experience builders will offer more or less incentives depending on the market conditions, and more specifically their specific sales. If a developer is struggling to sell off an entire development, then they are more likely to offer more incentives.

The incentives may not change month to month, just because. As a buyer I would determine how long the development has been available for sale, what is the percentage sold, have the prices in that area remained stable, or have they suffered severe decline, etc?