Do most people get used to the noise? Is this a good a good bargaining chip?

Asked by Kelly, New Smyrna Beach, FL Sat Dec 5, 2009

Is it possible to get a train schedule to learn just how often a train passes by before buying into the home? Most of the homes we can afford are located within a half mile of the railroad tracks

Answers

6
Ruth and Per…, Agent, Los Gatos, CA
Tue Jul 30, 2013
Hi Kelly

Half mile is a good distance of separation. You should be fine of course unless
you or your family cannot tolerate any noise.

Ruth
Web Reference:  http://ruthandperry.com
Ronald Touch…, Home Buyer, Jacksonville, FL
Tue Jul 30, 2013
I called CSX and they told me they cannot give out the train schedule for security reasons.
Ellie McInti…, Agent, Columbia, MD
Mon Jun 20, 2011
It's all personal taste. Some people don't mind and others will not even consider it.
For the record I have a house beachside in Ormond Beach and I can still hear the trains that are on the mainland.
Grace Hanamo…, Agent, Cupertino, CA
Sat Dec 5, 2009
Hello Kelly and thanks for your question.

If the home is located 100 feet from the train, then the sound of noise becomes a very distinct problem for many buyers, thus reducing the number of people interested in buying the home. You can obtain a train schedule for any track to determine when the train passes. However a 1/2 mile distance from the train (or about 2600 linear feet) is rather distant, and many individuals don't find the positioning of the train tracks 1/2 mile from the home as disagreeable as right next to the home. So as to the train tracks presenting to you, as a buyer, a "bargaining chip" in negotiating the price, the answer is that it would depend entirely upon the closeness home to the train tracks and the frequency of the train movement along the tracks.

I once rented a home that was located 200 feet from a commuter train line that ran from 6 a.m. to 9 p.m. (all day) with trains leaving the station about every 20 minutes at the peak traffic hours. I thought I'd never get used to the sound, but 30 days later, I barely heard it. After 6 months, I never heard the train again, and yet the train never stopped running. I just became rather "immune" to the sounds. So, much like motion sickness, I do believe that most people can get used to noise.

Hope this helps answer your questions!

Grace Morioka, SRES, e-Pro
Area Pro Realty
San Jose, CA
Ines De La C…, Agent, Marlton, NJ
Sat Dec 5, 2009
Hi Kelly,
Yes best thing would be to get the schedule. Then you could go and stand in front of the property you are considering at the time the train goes by. Listen. Inside of the home will be less noise but it will give you an idea.
I used to live close to the speedline and I got used to that I would not hear it.
Web Reference:  http://www.inesdelacruz.com
I called CSX and asked for the schedule and they told me they could not tell me for security reasons but I was told the trains go by at 3:00 a.m. and blow their whistle. I just can't imagine being awakened each morning so early.
Flag Tue Jul 30, 2013
Sean Dawes, , Philadelphia, PA
Sat Dec 5, 2009
Half a mile away isnt that close to trains. I have been at properties where their backyards are train tracks. Now that could be a problem. But for a home to be multiple blocks away, I would not see it is a huge disadvantage.

All rail systems should have an online schedule available.

Sean Dawes
Web Reference:  http://www.SeanDawes.com