Do most HOA fees for condos cover condo insurance or is that a rarity?

Asked by Kelly, Charlottesville, VA Tue Aug 19, 2008

Help the community by answering this question:

+ web reference
Web reference:


Diane Wheatl…, Agent, Upland, CA
Tue Aug 19, 2008
In my experience most attached condo or townhome projects will cover homeowners insurance or fire insurance but not contents insurance. Typically the homeowner is responsible for the interior of the unit and association is responsible for the exterior. However, each HOA is different in many ways. Good luck!
1 vote
Scott Godzyk, Agent, Manchester, NH
Wed Aug 20, 2008
To be sure you should read your condo docs, however most HOA fees cover the exterior not the interior or your personal items. What you need to check is if the HOA covers the windows and doors or if it is your responsibility. Normally you would cover trhe sheetrock in. meaning everything from the sheetrock to the interior where the HOA covers teh studs, fondation roof and siding. Again i stress exterior windows and doors are the variable. It all depends how the builder set up their HOA. Make sure you get a policy to cover the inside, your belongings and a general liability policy. It is not that expensive compared to regular house insurance.
Web Reference:
0 votes
Bill Eckler, Agent, Venice, FL
Wed Aug 20, 2008

Yes, typically the HOA covers the required insurance on the dwelling while the owner insures the inside and its contents.

Good luck,
The "Eckler Team"
0 votes
Search Advice
Ask our community a question

Email me when…

Learn more