Do i have to use my lenders contractors?

Asked by Lynette1434, Chicago, IL Fri Oct 2, 2009

Help the community by answering this question:

+ web reference
Web reference:


Michael Ofsanik’s answer
Michael Ofsa…, Other Pro, Grayslake, IL
Thu Oct 15, 2009
Absolutely not. Do your homework and get referrals and references. Find someone who will get building permits too. Doing work without a permit can come back to bite you.

203k loans require an approved contractor and all sub contractors have to be licensed if required (plumber, electrician, HVAC). You can act as a contractor but must maintain certain insurance policies and all of the work has to be done by others who are licensed or approved. Visit the FHA/HUD website for more info on 203k loans.
0 votes
Patrick Thies, Agent, Anytown, IL
Fri Oct 2, 2009
If it's a 203K loan there are some restrictions on what contractors cans used. They don't have to be lender contractors, but they do have to be approved.
0 votes
Wayne Beals, Agent, Chicago, IL
Fri Oct 2, 2009
Are you referring to a construction loan?

If so, probably not, but this question is best asked directly to your lender.

My company works with 203K and other construction loans and would be happy to get you a proposal.

Feel free to touch base with questions.
0 votes
Search Advice
Ask our community a question
Home Buying in Elmwood Park Zip Codes

Email me when…

Learn more