Do homeowners need to re-file for the homestead exemption every year once they are approved the first time?

Asked by Jb02906, 02906 Sat Jan 1, 2011

I purchased a home 2 years ago and filled out the declaration of homestead for the next year. Do I need to complete the declaration of homestead every year? The paperwork for the declaration is ambiguous and the City of Providence's website has no information beyond the form.

Answers

9
Tina Rose, Agent, North Smithfield, RI
Sat Jan 1, 2011
You normally do not need to re-file every year however, if your voting registration changes, it may affect the exemption. You may want to check with the city to ensure that they have applied the discount initially and verify their current policy. Also as a side note, if you sell the property, the homestead exemption would typically pass on to the new Buyer for the remainder of the tax year. Calling city hall would confirm what you need to know. Hope this helps. I'm a realtor who handles the Greater Providence area so please let me know if you have any other questions.

Tina Rose
Realtor, New England Properties of Barrington
Marge Bennett, Agent, Fort Myers, FL
Sat Jan 1, 2011
in Florida you don't have to refile. why don't you just call the city and ask.
You are being very rude! I am not the person who asked but we have the same questions. I have been on hold for so long and now they are offering to call me back. If you have knowledge it is nice to share!
Flag Mon Feb 22, 2016
Scarletthist…, Home Buyer, Providence, RI
Sat Oct 29, 2016
Does homeowners in Oklahoma have to file homestead exemption every year?
Robert Cruda…, Agent, Coventry, RI
Wed Mar 23, 2011
No. Once you file you do not need to file again. If, for some reason, there was a question or error in terms of how ownership of the property reads at the town/city hall then there may be a need to refile. This is a rare occurance and you would be made aware of it when your new tax bill came out.
I hope this helps!
bob
crudalerealtygroup@yahoo.com
C.C. Wall, Agent, Providence, RI
Mon Jan 3, 2011
I called the tax assessor's office in Providence and here is what they said: "as long as you have filed once, there is no need to do it again. The homestead remains on the property".

You should be all set!
Paul A. DiSe…, , Rhode Island
Sun Jan 2, 2011
I agree
You should not have to.
To be safe I would go to Tax Assessor's office and verify.
Be well
Web Reference:  http://www.rimoves.com
Phil Rotondo, Agent, Melbourne, FL
Sun Jan 2, 2011
The likelihood is that the answer is no.
But a quick call to the City to check wouldn't hurt.
Web Reference:  http://www.321property.com
Myra Gouger, Agent, Las Vegas, NV
Sat Jan 1, 2011
Every city and state is different in this regard. Go down in person to the bureau that handles this matter for your area and speak with someone who will give yu some definitive answers.
Angela Dolber, Agent, Whitinsville, MA
Sat Jan 1, 2011
I believe you do it once and it covers you until you sell the home. You would contact your attorney to verify that information.

Angela Dolber
Prudential Prime Properties
Licensed realtor in MA and RI
Web Reference:  http://www.theDolberteam.com