Home Buying in Allen>Question Details

Jacqueline S…, Real Estate Pro in Allen, TX

Do buyers prefer to find their own home online before choosing an agent - or, do they prefer to find an agent first who can guide them?

Asked by Jacqueline Schrock, Allen, TX Mon Oct 31, 2011

There is so much information online regarding homes for sale, loan information, etc. Buyers can do so much on their own and many of them probably wonder if they really need an agent to help them find and purchase a home. Most agents not only send customized listing reports to buyers....but stay up-to-date on the latest community information, zoning changes, neighborhood comps, etc. This is all vital inforamtion that a home buyer may not be aware of. A buyer's agent can do a lot of research and leg-work for the buyers....saving the buyers a lot of time and effort. An agent's job is to make home-buying a smooth and pleasant experience and to take care of many details for the buyers - thus eliminating much of the home-buyer stress. It's good when buyers know the area and type of house they want...but it's also wise to pull in an agent early on to handle much of the research and details associated with finding the right home and assisting with the entire home-purchase process!

Buyers can and do find their own homes that they are interested in. The problem is that while finding the right home may be difficult, it is only the beginning of the process. The benefits of an having a licensed real estate agent are: (I have most of these listed on my website http://brianrayl.com/buyers/why-use-a-realtor-to-buy-or-leas…

1) Getting them access to see the INSIDE of the home.
2) Knowledge of the contracts necessary.
3) Knowledge of the LEGAL issues surrounding a home purchase.
4) Knowledge of the market and access to comparable sales.
5) Ability to NEGOTIATE.
6) Access to a team who can close the transaction - home inspectors, lenders, appraisers, contractors, preferred title companies, etc, etc.
7) Knowing what pitfalls to look for both in the home and in the financing.
8) Knowing about special mortgage programs that are available to different groups of people.

Besides, a listing agent already has a contract with the seller for a specified amount of commission. Unless a buyer can negotiate a rebate or negotiate the buyers agent commission out of the price of the home, then they really don't save anything.

Besides: USING A BUYER'S AGENT IS FREE FOR THE BUYER!! Why wouldn't they want a licensed professional on their side for that price?

It's more than real estate. It's RAYL-Estate!

Brian Rayl
Keller Williams Elite
1 vote Thank Flag Link Mon Oct 31, 2011
...respectfully suggest that this should be a blog item.
Web Reference: http://www.321property.com
Jacqueline, I find that many buyers do not realize that an agent who 's listing they are interested in is only loyal to the seller (at least that's how it is in New York City unless disclosed otherwise) that could change if they are showing them another listing but probably not if it is their own firms' listings . Having the agent being only loyal to the seller puts the buyer into a similar scenario as little red riding hood who thinks the wolf is her grandmother! LOL! Also in Manhattan most homes are coops and condos and there is much that a buyer's agent or broker has to do besides previewing homes, giving their opinion of the value, presenting offers and assisting in negotiations and especially for a coop: advising the buyer on getting the necessary letters and documents ready and then preparing a board package, making copies, delivering the board package, preparing buyers for a board interview, staying on top of that process, attending the closing and more!
Good question, Jacqueline! I'm sure most agents will agree with you what the benefits are of working with an agent early on in the buying process. But my experience is that most buyers think of a realtor like a car salesman, talking to them is a sort of commitment to move forward, when basically they are not ready to make that commitment. Also, I've seen many buyers that don't understand the process enough to realize that the sooner you start working with a realtor and a lender, the more educated they will get about the process and more confident about their decisions. I always tell potential homeowners to remember that it is the seller that will be paying for my service, so you might as well get the maximum use of my professional efforts as you can! I've made a lot of good friends while on the journey to help a buyer find the perfect home! Best, Terry Bell, Realtor, Santa Rosa, CA