Do buyers prefer carpet or hardwood floors? The seller is deciding if they should repair damaged wood and refinish, or put new carpet on top.

Asked by Tracy McBride, Berkeley, CA Thu Sep 15, 2011

Answers

12
Chris O'Conn…, Agent, Clearwater, FL
Fri Jun 13, 2014
Every buyer is different but it seems most buyers consider quality wood flooring to be a significant upgrade to carpeting. If your clients floors can be repaired and refinished that may be the wiser choice. As Tristam Bielecki said carpet (and padding) is something that comes in all different colors and qualities so it is difficult to know what potential buyers will desire.
Tristam Biel…, Agent, South Pasadena, CA
Fri Jun 13, 2014
Hardwood floors tend to be the most popular and appealing. Some may prefer carpet but in those cases they'd probably prefer their own choice of carpeting so having it installed to stage a sale may not be helpful.
Web Reference:  http://www.neladigs.com
Rick Trono, Agent, Mill Valley, CA
Sat Mar 31, 2012
Tracy,

I am involved in a remodel in Marin County. The house is going on the market at the end of the month and "Yes" to refinishing the hardwood floors Results: upscale look and of course accent with area rugs

Rick
Maya Karpins…, Agent, Berkeley, CA
Mon Dec 19, 2011
Hard wood floors are what buyers love! I agree with most answers given.
, ,
Tue Nov 29, 2011
Yes, the hardwood floors are in style right now and they sell much better than carpet.
Tomi Thomas, Agent, Oakland, CA
Sun Nov 27, 2011
Hi, Tracy! I'm solidly in the hardwood floor camp. Buyers have a visiceral response to the warmth of wood when they walk in the door. And you won't loose buyers that don't like carpet, because more buyers who want carpet will see is as an easy add, whereas buyers don't like to pay a premium and then rip out new improvements.
Robert Schult, Agent, Sarasota, FL
Thu Sep 15, 2011
I agree with the answers so far. Refinish and repair the existing wood floors.
Suz A, Agent, Longmont, CO
Thu Sep 15, 2011
Hardwood floors are an enduring legacy. Carpet eventually becomes so unsightly that even if it is not worn to the nub, it is no longer attractive. There is only one clear advantage of owning carpet over hardwood floors. Pet owners and parents may balk at hardwood floors because even small amounts of moisture can be destructive. One rain-soaked animal won't necessarily ruin a floor. In this regard, owners should give careful consideration. Hardwood floors in dining rooms are particularly stunning. It's no wonder so many homeowners choose wood.

SuZ
PML
of Longmont, CO
720 810 0683
bouldersuz@gmail.com
Laura Feghali, Agent, Stamford, CT
Thu Sep 15, 2011
Hi Tracy,
Yes, I have to agree that almost all of my buyers prefer hardwood floors in the main living areas of the home.

Not only does hardwood not have to be replaced (just refinished) as carpets wear out but it also allows the buyer to add their own color scheme with area rugs to the rooms.

Laura Feghali
Prudential Connecticut Realty
Matthew Kaman, Agent, hamden, CT
Thu Sep 15, 2011
Most I have found, prefer wood. Its easy to cover wood with a nice area rug, but hard to expose wood floors, that have carpet, padding, and tack strips everywhere. Refinishing wood is always a good investment, it makes the home look new and fresh. I would reccommend, if budget is an issue, a few area area rugs to make the rooms have good homely feel, with out the expense of carpet or wood refinishing. More then likely, the blemished areas of the floors are towards the center of the rooms, or in the hallways and walkways, precisely the areas the rugs should cover. Good Luck
Lisa Cannata, Agent, Osterville, MA
Thu Sep 15, 2011
Mosy buyers these days are looking for hardwood floors over carpeting.
Ron Thomas, Agent, Fresno, CA
Thu Sep 15, 2011
From what I've seen, Hardwood or Laminate Floors are really in.
Particularly with kids and pats, they are easier to clean and wear better.
Probably cheaper to refinish as opposed to good carpet.

I still prefer carpet in my bedroom.