Do I need to go to a special lender for a mobile home loan? I have read there are specific requirements, and that the home cannot be located in a park

Asked by Lyoung1210, Rehoboth Beach, DE Fri Dec 6, 2013

Help the community by answering this question:

+ web reference
Web reference:


Virginia Egan’s answer
Virginia Egan, Agent, Rehoboth Beach, DE
Fri Jan 10, 2014
It depends on whether you are going for a conventional loan or not. With a conventional loan, the mobile must be "fee simple", where you own the land it sits on, and it must be at least a double-wide "Class C". The Class C designation indicates that the home has been permanently affixed to a foundation of some sort. If the mobile does not meet these requirements, don't lose hope. There are a few companies that make loans for mobiles homes on rented ground, or mobiles that are not Class C. Their rates will be different than those for conventional loans, however. If you need a few names of lenders, either conventional or mobile home specific, just let me know.
0 votes
Michael24hour, Home Buyer, Burke, VA
Mon Apr 24, 2017
I don't know , but I was denied a loan for a 2008 Class C affixed to permanent foundation on fee simple property by a conventional lender, because "we don't do mobile homes." So I went to a mobile homes lender and he said," We don't do Class C Homes only homes paying ground rent in a park." So in the end we did not go into contract. Go figure!
0 votes
, ,
Fri Dec 6, 2013
I have been lending on manufactured homes since 1987.

Let's discuss your loan scenario in more detail.Contact me at 800 315 8803. My name is Bart and I have been in the mortgage business since 1987. I am happy to answer your mortgage questions, 7 days a week and review your loan scenario.

Until then, I look forward to hearing from you.

Bart Gabe - 800 315 8803
0 votes
Rehoboth Bea…, Agent, Rehoboth Beach, DE
Fri Dec 6, 2013
If it is a mobile home and not on a permanent foundation, on leased land / in a park then yes you will have to contact a lender that does mobile home loans. Many times if you already own a home elsewhere and plan to keep it then getting cash from your primary home (HELOC= home equity line of credit) makes more sense then you bring the cash here for the purchase. Any lender can elaborate on the details and qualify you for what makes the most sense in your situation.

Bests of Luck to You.
Web Reference:
0 votes
Judy & Fred…, Agent, Lewes, DE
Fri Dec 6, 2013
Some lenders will do financing for Class "C", double-wides on permanent foundation that have had their title retired and been reassessed. If you have any additional questions, our contact information is below.

Fred & Judy

The Dean Team
Successfully Bringing
Buyers & Sellers Together
RE/MAX Associates
16392 Coastal Highway
Lewes, DE 19958
Office: 302-645-0800
Fred Cell: 302-236-6836
Judy Cell: 302-236-3120
Email Fred:
Email Judy:
0 votes
Amy Schrader, Agent, Dewey Beach, DE
Fri Dec 6, 2013
Yes, L Young. There are loans with higher interest rates for homes on leased ground; these are similar to car loans. If you buy on your own ground, there are other options. If you want names of lenders, let me know. Thanks.
Amy Schrader, Jack Lingo, Inc. REALTOR
cell) 302-604-9833
0 votes
Jeff Hoover, Agent, Kannapolis, NC
Fri Dec 6, 2013

To get an FHA loan type the mobile home must be on a permanant foundation. There are other types of loans you may qualify for. Please contact me at 302-981-6485 or email me at or visit my website at

Sincere Regards,

0 votes
Search Advice
Ask our community a question
Home Buying in Rehoboth Beach Zip Codes

Email me when…

Learn more