Bob, Home Buyer in Pittsburgh, PA

Do I need an agent for a purchasing a newly constructed home? I am looking to by a Ryan Home in the North Hills

Asked by Bob, Pittsburgh, PA Mon Jan 3, 2011

Are the upgrades and options negotiable?

Answers

10
John Sacktig, Agent, New Jersey, NJ
Mon Feb 14, 2011
I would use an agent that knows the area and has had conversation with these builders before as they tend to have a more open dialogue with the builder and properties sold. Find someone that knows these developments very well and have been in the area for quite some time.

Be certain to continue with your due diligence and contact an agent from the area.

Let us know how you make out!

John Sacktig
Broker / Manager
Orange Key Realty
Direct: 732-213-1409
Email: JSacktig@orangekeyrealty.com
Keith Landis, Mortgage Broker Or Lender, Venetia, PA
Thu Jan 13, 2011
It is recommended that you have an agent to represent your interests. The builder will pay the Buyer Agent commission. Having the builder reps handle everything puts the builder at an advantage. The reps for Ryan only represent Ryan. Their job is just to obtain the highest possible price for everything. This includes the financing of the home as well. The builder will typically push you to use their in-house lender but often the rates/fees with their in-house lender are higher than what you could obtain on your own.

In new construction, everything is negotiable.
EmpoweredBuy…, , Bethany, OH
Mon Jan 10, 2011
You should always have your own agent/broker especially since the builder and other sellers typically pay for them. Check out your options as some agents out there will share some of their commision with you, which is an awesome bonus!
Benny Smith, Agent, Pittsburgh, PA
Tue Jan 4, 2011
Bob
The answer is short. Yes. The Builder has agents to represent them, and you should also. I have represented builders and buyers but not at the same time. When a buyer has an agent it usually goes smoother and better for the buyer, and the builder also if the agent understands construction. Like most agents I try to be fair to customers as well as my clients. Unfortuantly if you represent the builder you cannot tell the buyer everything they need to know to protect thier interest. Like a builder in a subdivision would rather give away an appliance than reduce the price for the same amount. If you share information that hurts your client you are not doing your job. So get yourself an agent and protect your hard earned money. Good house hunting in 2011
Benny Smith
Doug Caye, Agent, Allison Park, PA
Tue Jan 4, 2011
Bob,

Ryan is a great company to deal with. I have sold many of their homes to buyers that I have worked with. Considering it wont cost you anything to have your own agent to look out for your best interests I would strongly suggest you use one. Although Ryan tries to be firm on the pricing I have always been able to negotiate better pricing and \ or upgrades for my clients that they would have never been able to get on their own.
Catherine Be…, Agent, Lawndale, CA
Mon Jan 3, 2011
While you don't "need" an agent, it is always good to have a professional representing you in your real estate transaction. There are may contingencies and points that need to be negotiated, that if you are not 100% sure of, then hire a professional to help you navigate the process. A real estate agents job is to help you close your transaction with the least amount of stress and the best possible outcome.

Best of luck with your purchase.
Dolly Nicely, Agent, Wexford, PA
Mon Jan 3, 2011
Hi Bob,

As a consumer in PA, you have the right to be represented by your own exclusive buyer agent should you choose to. The Ryan Homes Developments are cooperative with this, and work routinely with your agent to ensure that you are fully informed throughout the process of building. Your upgrades and options are part of this process. Based on the model you choose, there will be a base package price. Options/upgrades are typically additional, or tied into a promotion they may be running at the time of your purchase. If you choose an already completed unit, obviously, the options may already be part of the price since the unit is complete. If you are early in the process, you have the best opportunity for picking both your spot/site, as well as the options that meet your personal needs and specifications.

If you decide on using an agent, consider using an Accredited Buyer Representative. This is an agent who has additional training and experience working with exclusively with buyers. You will see a designation, ABR, after their name............Dolly Nicely, ABR, CRS, RECS, Realtor, Achieve Realty, Inc.

If I can be of further assistance, contact me at dollynicely@verizon.net or by cell at 412-496-9725. My direct office number is 724-933-1980 x210.
Jenny Barnick, Agent, Pittsburgh, PA
Mon Jan 3, 2011
And, yes upgrades can often be negotiated on new construction...bust most often builders are firm on the asking price.
Jenny Barnick, Agent, Pittsburgh, PA
Mon Jan 3, 2011
Hi Bob,

It is always a good idea to have a buyer's agent looking out for your best interests, whether it is an existing home or new construction. They can help you negotiate the best possible terms and conditions.

If you need assistance, feel free to contact me. You can check out the one80 website at http://www.one80res.com (located in the North Hills by Ross Park Mall).

Best of Luck!
Patrick Thies, Agent, Anytown, IL
Mon Jan 3, 2011
This builder probably has a sales office on site or very near by. You don't need an agent, but if you have one that you have been working with, then you would need to bring them along on your first visit and register with the sales office.

You would have to discuss whether or not the builder will be negotiable on upgrades and options with the sales office. Usually they are not negotiable, but the builder may have some kind of upgrade package at a discounted price. If one of the houses is already completed, the builder may make changes at little to no cost to get it sold, but generally the upgrades are what they are. It also can't hurt to try.