Home Buying in Orlando>Question Details

kwmayse, Home Buyer in Orlando, FL

Do I need a lawyer to handle the buying of a condo in Orlando, Fl?

Asked by kwmayse, Orlando, FL Mon Jul 16, 2012

Help the community by answering this question:


No, but you may hire one if you so choose. Many of the title companies the handle the closings will have an attorney but it is not required. Tile companies are in the insurance business and they will handle the title search, exam of title, handling of escrow, and facilitate the closing. Having a real estate agent on your side is great advise as mentioned below, especially since their fees (commissions) are usually paid by the listing agent. However, be aware that some agents tag on a transaction fee. Since you specifically mentioned a condo I wanted to add that it is very important to get a copy of the community rules and regulations to include fees and dues that the condo association charge. The title company will check and ensure that there are no pending assessments.

I hope this helps and I welcome you as a neighbor here in central Florida.

Jeremy Ide
Magic Key Realty
0 votes Thank Flag Link Wed Jul 18, 2012
No, we rarely use lawyers for residential real estate transactions in Florida. We use title insurance agents. Let's not forget that all the robo signing problems from a few years ago were the result of law firms skirting the law.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Mon Jul 16, 2012
In short, No but it is always best to have a buyers agent on your side of the transaction so YOU are protected during and after the transaction, plus it's free. I can discuss how to best protect you in a transaction and what is the best language to put in the offer to protect you and get your deposit back, if needed. I mostly work with out of area/foreign investors looking to start or expand their real estate portfolio here in Florida.
A few other things to consider are: Current rental amount, is it leased & for how long, does it need work, how much is property management, how long to get rented if vacant, is it short term or long term rental... to name just a few of the things we can discuss to aid you in making the best decision.

If you are out of state I offer full video inspections, repair estimates, time lines for that work needed and property management.

Call me anytime! 9a-8p X 7

Brian Mahoney
C 848-448-0333
0 votes Thank Flag Link Mon Jul 16, 2012
No you do not. Title work is usually handled by a Title Company but you absolutely can use lawyer if that is your preference. If you are looking to buy, you just need a good Buyer's agent who will step you through the process and help ensure that your best interests are protected.
That is exactly what I do so feel free to call or email me if you require further assistance. (407) 864-3139; sylvia@sylviapaulrocks.com. Best wishes to you.

Sylvia Paul
Realty Center
Orlando, Florida
0 votes Thank Flag Link Mon Jul 16, 2012
No, you don't need a lawyer but, you can if you want. Most transactions don't use lawyers. If you have a business or other capitol ventures/investments you may consider having a real estate attorney help you to place it to your best advantage in your portfolio. What is your ultimate goal?
0 votes Thank Flag Link Mon Jul 16, 2012
You are welcome to use a lawyer but you do not have to.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Mon Jul 16, 2012
Search Advice
Ask our community a question
Email me when…

Learn more

Copyright © 2016 Trulia, Inc. All rights reserved.   |  
Have a question? Visit our Help Center to find the answer