Do I need Certificate of Occupancy?

Asked by William, Rockaway, NJ Sun Mar 15, 2009

I am going to buy a house and it is Estate of Mrs. Anne. Her nephew is on the will and sell the house to me. Her nephew is living in a different state. So. Do I need have Certificate of Residency issue by the Town? Or the seller's Certificate of Residency Waiver is good enough?


Help the community by answering this question:

+ web reference
Web reference:


Wayne Odenbr…, Agent, Mountain Lakes, NJ
Sun Mar 25, 2012
The Seller needs to have it performed prior to closing.
Towns vary. The info is generally available on the town website
Make sure you get it all done prior to the visit.
Some towns charge for a second visit
0 votes
Lyle Wolf, Agent, Morristown, NJ
Mon Aug 9, 2010
At a minimum in New Jersey you will need a Certification regarding properly located and functioning Smoke Detectors, Carbon Monoxide Detectors and a Fire Extinguisher. Various municipalities may have additional requirements for the CO. Check with the municipality for their CO requirements. Beware! There may be lead times for scheduling inspections and also a reinspection in the event the house fails the first time and needs to be inspected again. Give yourself plenty of time to get these done so you do not run into a problem and must delay the closing.
0 votes
John Harris, Agent, Manalapan, NJ
Sat Aug 7, 2010
Each town is different. Check with building official and fire marshall to see what is required.
0 votes
Sharon Kozinn, Agent, Hillsdale, NJ
Mon Mar 16, 2009
You should contact the building department in the town, then your attorney. They can guide you as to the proper documentation and inspections you will need.

Good luck,
Sharon Kozinn
Web Reference:
0 votes
Sharon and K…, Agent, Livingston, NJ
Sun Mar 15, 2009

YES, you do need a CO before you close on a house. It's actaully a requirement for closing. Usually the Seller is responsible for obtaining CO in certain cases (such as Bank owned properties or Short Sales) Seller assumes the reponsibility. This can only happen if the contract states it. Your best bet is to check who is responsible from your attorney.

good luck on the closing and enjoy your new place.
Karen Abramson
0 votes
Yelena Tsula…, Agent, Morris Plains, NJ
Sun Mar 15, 2009
Hello, William!
How are you doing?
You or your attorney or realtor should check what are town requirements for CO.
Certificate of Occupancy is a document saying that a home was inspected by fire marshal in some towns by town engineer and nothing wrong was found.
I don’t know that town rules, but I would say: Yes, you need CO.
0 votes
Search Advice
Ask our community a question

Email me when…

Learn more