Deeded parking outside of real estate sale?

Asked by Diana Kim, Brooklyn, NY Mon Mar 10, 2014

I recently bought a condo in Williamsburg but there wasn't an option to buy a deeded parking space, which was something I was really looking for. Is it possible to buy deeded parking spaces outside of real estate deals, or are they always associated with a general real estate purchase? I can't find any info on this, outside of leased parking garages.

Answers

1
Joseph Runfo…, Agent, Staten Island, NY
Tue Mar 11, 2014
You, your attorney, would need to check on the particular condo/co-op. Parking in new developments is selling for twice what it was five years ago.The deed may also include other rights or restrictions, such as requiring ownership of a unit in an particular building. Some deeded parking spots may also restrict the type of vehicle (no trucks, boats or RVs), coordination of maintenance with adjacent owners, and may require right of first refusal to go to an association or other entity if the deeded owner decides to sell (thus keeping ownership of the spaces within the local community).
Thanks for your reply. You mention "The deed may also include other rights or restrictions, such as requiring ownership of a unit in an particular building."

In my situation, I'm specifically wondering if it's ever possible to buy deeded parking without any ownership in a building. My own condo building doesn't offer parking, and I'm trying to gauge whether external deeded parking is ever possible or if they are always tied to related ownership. Thanks!
Flag Tue Mar 11, 2014