Sheila, Home Buyer in Blaine, WA

Curious about the quality of workmanship in the homes around Sandcastle/Clamdigger Dr Blaine. Has there been roof leakage or plumbing problems?

Asked by Sheila, Blaine, WA Sat Jul 16, 2011

Considering buying but saw damp in one of the homes.

Answers

6
Dan Tabit, Agent, Issaquah, WA
Sun Jul 17, 2011
Sheila,
Another solution to your question is to do a neighborhood review. I advise all my buyers to meet the neighbors before they are fully committed to a purchase agreement. Often you'll meet someone who knows a lot about the community and can fill you in on the kind of information you want to know. It's also important to do this so that if the Hatfield’s live on one side of the home you are considering and the McCoy’s live on the other, you don't get caught in their crossfire.
One specific note about a leak, there are a number of potential causes, from bad workmanship as you mention to a tree limb piercing the roof due to a storm. Bad workmanship may require a complete tear off and replacement (and may be covered by a builders warranty) where the tree limb may be a relatively inexpensive roof spot repair.
Sheila, Home Buyer, Blaine, WA
Tue Jul 26, 2011
Thanks so much for everyone's help you have all given valuable answers and I am most grateful. My daughter has now ordered a home inspection which should show up what the root cause of the wet/dampness is; we are believing it will be money well spent.
Aaron Schrei…, Other Pro, Leavenworth, WA
Tue Jul 26, 2011
Shelia- before your daughter goes through with the purchase she needs to order an inspection and then based on that information she'll probably want a professional roofing company to assess the damages and provide a repair quote. It may cost some money for those professional opinions but it's way cheaper than a new roof.
Web Reference:  http://www.amsinspection.com
Sheila, Home Buyer, Blaine, WA
Sun Jul 17, 2011
Thank you so much for both replies. My daughter is looking to buy a home there on a short list,bank owned, as is. She is working with with an agent.

There is water damage on the ceiling but she is torn between putting out the money to get an inspection and loosing it. If she thought it was perhaps just a leaky pipe then she would proceed with an inspection but if it could possibly be a leak in the roof then she would rather not even touch it as she can't afford major repairs. The home is only about 6 years old so a roof problem seems unlikely but I appreciate that you can't know until you go in for a look. Thanks again , just wondering if anyone else out there had similar problems.
Jirius Isaac, Agent, Kenmore, WA
Sun Jul 17, 2011
I agree with Ron. You need to hook up with a good local buyers agent. No reason not to. If you need a referral, let me know. I can also pre approve you for a loan if you like, just let me know as well.
Web Reference:  http://www.metromgi.com
Ron Thomas, Agent, Fresno, CA
Sun Jul 17, 2011
I lived for a while in Ferndale and worked across from Blaine, so I know the area:
But it's been too long so....

BUT,
Your question can only be answered by doing it step by step and doing it right:
Get yourself a Buyer's Agent and when you have an accepted offer, get your Inspections!

good luck and may God bless