Could someone please address the issue of flood insurance in Baton Rouge? Does the cost vary by neighborhood? Thanks for the info.

Asked by Caddy81, Jacksonville, FL Sun Apr 22, 2012

Help the community by answering this question:

+ web reference
Web reference:


Jeff Melancon, Agent, Destrehan, LA
Mon Jan 13, 2014
Location and elevation of bottom floor play a role in determining the flood insurance costs. Go to the FEMA website and you can give the address of the property and it will show you a map to determine the zone. Actual costs depend on the finished bottom floor elevation.
0 votes
Sandra Jones, Agent, Baton Rouge, LA
Tue Nov 26, 2013
FEMA maps are the basis for determining which areas will require flood insurance by a lender. Properties on the same street can vary, so it's important to check by the address.

The cost of flood insurance, unlike other insurance (auto, homeowners, etc.) is not based on your credit score. Uniform rates apply and are based on the age of the property and the base flood elevation (BFE) of the ground floor as compared to the BFE for that area in general.

If your property is at or above the BFE, obviously your cost is less. On the other hand, if your property is below the BFE, the premium will be higher. In fact, it can be more than your monthly note if it's a few feet below!

A flood elevation certificate is required to determine the BFE for exisiting construction. Local surveyors can provide this - cost is approximately $300-400, last I checked. Ask the seller if he has a certificate, if you are the buyer.

Hope this is helpful!
Sandra Jones, Burns & Co.
(225) 937-9453

Hope this is helpful.
0 votes
Natasha A. E…, Agent, Baton Rouge, LA
Tue Oct 16, 2012
Flood insurance is based on the flood zone you are in. Get a flood elevation survey completed to know your exact level above the flood plain. Here's a local company that can do it for you
0 votes
Tiffany Lear…, Agent, Baton Rouge, LA
Wed Oct 10, 2012
Each home is different. It is based on the flood elevation of your home. I would order a flood elevation certificate to better assist with getting an insurance quote.
0 votes
Lisa Bourgoy…, Agent, Denham Springs, LA
Tue Aug 14, 2012
Each home is different. It all depends on the level the home was built on. In some areas you may need flood insurance and your neighbor does not. You would need a flood elevation certificate to figue this out.
Most of the newer subdivisions have been LOMA'd out, meaning the whole subdivision, even though it is in a flood plane, was built up by the developer. Each parish has a list of subdivisions that have been LOMA'D . Hope this helps
0 votes
Daniel, , Baton Rouge, LA
Sun Aug 12, 2012
LOL, Huh??? Flood insurance premiums are simply based on the elevation and value of the home
0 votes
DanielEngle.…, , Baton Rouge, LA
Thu Jul 5, 2012
Flood insurance premiums are calculated based on factors such as:

Year of building construction
Building occupancy
Number of floors
The location of its contents
Its flood risk (i.e. its flood zone)
The location of the lowest floor in relation to the elevation requirement on the flood map (in newer buildings only)
The deductible you choose and the amount of building and contents coverage

Hope this helps!
0 votes
Candace Mann…, Agent, Lafayette, LA
Mon Apr 23, 2012
The most expedient way to check flood insurance is to contact your insurance provider. You may also go to the National Flood website and try to decipher the levels on your own. Good luck!
0 votes
Kay Gilbert, Agent,
Sun Apr 22, 2012
Flood insurance is based on a flood elevation certificate that designates the flood zone you fall in. Flood zone X does not require flood insurance. You can be in the same neighborhood and be a lot apart and one needs flood insurance and the other one does not. It is based on FEMA Flood maps which are on line.

Kay Gilbert
Camellia Real EState Group
Cell 225-933-5407
0 votes
David Gassie, Agent, Baton Rouge, LA
Sun Apr 22, 2012
The cost of flood insurance is not determined by the neighborhood, but by the actual elevation of the home. This is determined by a flood elevation certificate. Flood insurance premiuns are determined by the elevation of the house also, which in turn are set by FEMA. Hope this helps!

David Gassie
RE/MAX First
Baton Rouge, LA
Each Office Individually Owned and Operated
Licensed by the LA Real Estate Commission
0 votes
Search Advice
Ask our community a question

Email me when…

Learn more