Could I qualify as a first time home buyer?

Asked by Kristina Garrett Hockman, Columbia, MO Mon Apr 15, 2013

My husband purchased the house we currently live in before we were married and my name is not on it or the loan. If I want to buy a home now just in my name could I get first time home buyer benefits?

Answers

6
Alexandra We…, , Columbia, MO
Wed Aug 21, 2013
No, you will not be able to qualify for that but you do have several options!

My name is Alexandra Weishaar, I am a Purchase Coordinator Representative here at Guardian National Bank. I would like to find a time when we could speak over the phone to discuss your situation or we can always discuss it through email so feel free to reply back to me at: alexw@gnblending.com
Nancy Hollid…, Agent, Columbia, MO
Wed Apr 17, 2013
If you claimed the mortgage insurance deduction while filing a joint income tax, that would prevent you from being a frist-time home buyer. I'd love to talk to you about your options. I specialize in first-time homebuyers.
Garystraub, , Columbia, MO
Tue Apr 16, 2013
Real property obtained before a marriage is not communal. Marital rights begin after the marriage and even then there are exceptions, such as inheritance.
Dale Weir, Agent, Chesterfield, MO
Mon Apr 15, 2013
No
Missouri law says that you own 1/2 the home due to marital rights even if you aren't on the mortgage - while your name may not be on the title, if the home were to be sold, the title company working on the file would recognize the marriage and you would be required to either sign releasing your interest in the property at the point of sale, or you would be required to sign a marital waiver form at that time.

If you get divorced, in some cases there are allowances that allow you to be considered a first time homebuyer
John Schupp, , Columbia, MO
Mon Apr 15, 2013
It depends if you have been put on title or not or if you have been on title to a property in the past 3 years. We have several 100% financing options for purchasing a new home, plus if you pucrchase a new construction we have an option that would alow 100% financing or as little down as 2%,

Please feel free to contact me about your loan options.

John
Kim Coleman, Agent, Columbia, SC
Mon Apr 15, 2013
You should be able to if you have some kind of credit history and employment history. I would suggest talking to a local lender to see if you qualify and how much of a mortgage do you qualify for. I would suggest talking to someone like Flat Branch Home Mortgage, Allied Mortgage, or Mid-America Home Mortgage that deal with several different lending institutions and lending products to see which one would work best for you.

Good luck and please feel free to contact me if you have any further questions!

Kim