Home Buying in Allen>Question Details

Scott_siegler, Home Buyer in Carmel, IN

Cost of a real estate attorney

Asked by Scott_siegler, Carmel, IN Fri Sep 6, 2013

We are looking to hire a real estate attorney to look over our closing and HUD settlement statement documentation to make sure everything is proper. Would anyone be able to give a ballpark estimate as to what I should expect to pay for such service?

any help would be greatly appreciated.

RECOMMNED save yourself money

1. Closing costs are all state regulated
2. HUD based on executed sales agreement, lender specifications you agreed to, and state regulated closing costs
3. Title company should be explaining to you line entries
4. You can do a Google search for all details on HUD

Lynn911 Dallas Realtor & Consultant
Multimillion Dollar Sales Producer
http://www.lynn911.com 100's of Dallas homes listed for sale or lease

Follow me on Facebook and Twitter

(If my answer is helpful indicate by THUMBS UP or BEST ANSWER. Thank you )
1 vote Thank Flag Link Fri Sep 6, 2013
In my experience the price will range anywhere from $300 -$500 to hire an attorney to assist you with your closing.

But as agents have stated earlier most people rely on their agent and the title company.

Unless it is a particularly unusual transaction, a commercial deal, or if the contract isn't a TREC contract the people usually save themselves the expense.

Chris Hutchinson
The Michael Group

Ask your realtor for advice. Also the title company will go thorough HUD-1 with you during closing and you can ask them any questions about your HUD-1.

Susie Kay
United Real Estate
PS your Realtor should also be assisting you therefore saves you money
In Texas this is rare.....unless you are buying a FSBO.
In my experience it is tough to find one who wants to do this work for a fee.
They normally want bigger work and will drop you if something bigger comes along.

If you have a great realtor they should have been trained in how to use the promulgated contract forms agreed on by the broker-lawyer committee in Texas. While they are fill in the blank forms, the blanks do have meaning.

The title companies are generally run by attorneys and some actually handle the closing. So while they typically make you sign a document saying they did not represent you in the closing, they prepare or oversee the HUD and deed and escrow service. Not always, but in many cases.

If you are buying a FSBO or still think you need legal representation I would think just to look over documents might be $200-$300. To me you really want them looking at the contract before you sign it if you going to go this route.....at closing ...most issues are too late.

Feel free to call me for referrals and we can try to point you in the right direction for your circumstances.
Bruce Lynn, Real Estate Pro in Coppell, TX
It should not cost but a few hundred dollars to get a review. Depends on how much time and work that you would want them to do.