Home Buying in Lyndhurst>Question Details

usa.sikh,  in Lyndhurst, NJ

Convert Single family to mulitple.

Asked by usa.sikh, Lyndhurst, NJ Fri Aug 24, 2012

I am planning to buy a home that has ground floor (above ground) and first floor. It has also separate 3 separate entrance as well. Multiple zone area

Need some professional advice who can advice if this existing structure can be converted to multiple units or not? and If its possible then what would be the procedure.

Immediate response will be appreciated.

Help the community by answering this question:


Best to go directly to a local pro at "Find a Pro" in the header of this website for local advice.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Thu Nov 22, 2012

Once gain I sincerely appreciate it for providing right information and putting me right direction. With your advice I have searched online and found lyndhurst community website http://www.lyndhurstnj.org/, which explained about requirement and my lot size is over 55/100 for the requirement. I have gone thru the requirement plan and I feel that I would be conforming to all rules.

I would be making little structural changes too within ground floor unit to add kitchen etc. So I think I should get Site plan created as well.

Can you also suggest someone who can prepare site plan for me?

and thanks for Attorney's contact detail.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat Aug 25, 2012
When you say site pan do you mean the survey?
My attorney and I use
joe@lakelandsurveying.com Joe Sceurman
Owner, Lakeland Surveying

If you mean construction plan you would need an architect. I would recommend someone your contractor knows
Flag Sat Aug 25, 2012
ok that's good that other 2 family are in the neighborhood. the next question is the lot size conforming to the 2family requirements. Are your Setbacks good. If you go to the town they can help you with all this before going to an attorney. now even if you are not conforming to all these rules you still could get a variance to make it a 2 family If you are conforming to all the rules you may not even need an attorney. some towns might be very helpful.

Attorney I use is
Eric Hausman or Varano and associates
he should have someone in his office that can help you. (I think Joe or Moira)

In Clifton Salas and John Pogarelic are very experienced with it.

no idea what they charge
0 votes Thank Flag Link Fri Aug 24, 2012
Thanks Andrew for quick response. Yes most of the homes in that block has converted to multiple family.

I have one more question, the home has ground floor(above ground), and one first floor. I am think both to have separate units. I hope there should not be concern?

Any Attorney do you know in that area who is specialized in and how much they charge for paper work? Any guess??

Best Regards
0 votes Thank Flag Link Fri Aug 24, 2012
It all depends on the zone that you are in. You can ask the building department in your town for a zone map. you may be able to find it on the town website. Are there mostly 2 family homes on your block?

if the zoning is good then you have file for a permit and or variance. you can get an attorney to help you with this part.

Sounds like the access part is good.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Fri Aug 24, 2012
Search Advice
Ask our community a question
Email me when…

Learn more

Copyright © 2016 Trulia, Inc. All rights reserved.   |  
Have a question? Visit our Help Center to find the answer