Construction of house on wetland

Asked by Asteroid, 07307 Tue Jun 30, 2009

Construction of house on wetland

I want to know that is it posssible to construct a house on a wetlend lot? I come to know a wetland lot for sale but I am not sure for construction is possible.Lot size big 3 acer.
Is it possible to find any way to construct house ?

any law/bylaws/exception in rules and regulation that allows construction possible.
Thank you

Answers

3
Laura Gianno…, Agent, Manahawkin, NJ
Thu Jul 2, 2009
It is a time consuming and sometimes costly process.

Before a property can be developed, the owner is required by federal and state law to determine
if there are wetlands present, and to delineate the wetland borders.

The state Department of Environmental Protection identifies wetlands by wet conditions, soil type, and vegetation that is adapted to wet soils.

The wetland delineation maps, soil data, and plant & wildlife reports are submitted to the NJDEP in a Letter
of Interpretation (LOI) Application. LOI applications can be reviewed at your town hall.

Depending on the extent of the wetlands, a three acre property might allow you the necessay set backs required by the DEP to build on a portion of the property.

If you are planning to purchase property that might contain wetlands, your contract should be contingent on the DEP approval. That might require an expenditure on your part prior to closing.

Laura Giannotta
Keller Williams Atlantic Shore
Laura Berry, Agent, Blacksburg, VA
Tue Jun 30, 2009
The most important thing for you to do would be to check with your local authorities regarding the restrictions It often depends on how much is wetland , if it is possible to locate sanitation outside the delineated wetland, etc.
I would recommend that you get written verification that building will be permitted BEFORE you buy this lot! You don't want to be left holding piece of land that you can not build upon. You should also find yourself a good Buyers agent to look after your interests.
Hallefelicit…, Home Buyer, Perth Amboy, NJ
Fri Jan 20, 2017
Don't build on wetlands. We lost a 4 year old house and 38 years of property and memories and our health and family. To buying a house built on wetlands. My husband and I got a divorce and because we live in the northern part of the USA ( Sioux Falls,SD) we can't get health care for our systemic ( meaning the toxins the mold release into people like us poor immune systems) mold illness. The doctors think we are crazy, I was even diagnosed with it by my doctor. He is from California but he very obviously was told to hush up about it, because he won't address it at all. My daughter and I keep getting sicker. I am 58 and she is 34 and we have had one illness after another for 4 years. Don't do it our home was built on swampland illegally and the contractor got a minimal fine and that was all. Our lives and health have been torn to pieces and know one even knows. You would be amazed at what happened to us. Another long sad story we still have no family left they all disowned us my own children except for the one that experienced it (but she went into denial) and my oldest daughter because she met someone who had our story too. My aunt's uncle's sister nieces nephews cousins my daughter and son WON'T have ANYTHING to do with us because they think we are crazy . DON'T DO IT SUSAN VOLK SIOUX FALLS,SD (605) 951-4802