Lori V., Both Buyer and Seller in Albuquerque, NM

Considering relocation to Cypress TX from New Mexico. Per the following, what would be the most appropriate areas for us to consider? Thanks, Lori V.

Asked by Lori V., Albuquerque, NM Fri May 7, 2010

If we accept the relocation, my husband's office would be on Jones Rd, 77070. My husband and I are 37 & 41 respectively. We are both professionals with one daughter in college, and one son approaching the 4th grade. We love sports; big football fans. Our son is into sports; football & baseball. We also love to golf as a family & belong to a private country club now. Unfortunately, we've never been to Cypress or the Houston area, so we have zero knowledge of the applicable real estate market and/or the neighborhoods in this area. Our budget is at or around $600k. We would love waterfront if available, but a private pool is a must. Any and all recommendations will be very much appreciated! Thank you so much, in advance, for any assistance you're able to provide!

Answers

21
Lori,

You certianly have got a lot to think about, where in New Mexico are you coming from? If you like lots of trees you will love Cypress, we moved from there in the 80's and I still miss the trees.
As many have mentioned 290 traffic can be a bear if you have to be in it for very long, with your husband working off Jones he won't have to worry too much about that. I would like to mention Towne Lake again, this is a development like none other, the largest man-made lake in Texas when completed and you can put your boat on it!! Imagine getting in the boat and going out to dinner or shopping right off the water, how fun is that??
I wish you a wonderful time finding your new home and if I can be of any help please give me a call.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Wed May 12, 2010
I have the right Home for you please call me at 832-229-8967 or send me a email luisaguilar_century21@yahoo.com
1 vote Thank Flag Link Wed May 12, 2010
I would avoid the Copperfield area personally, because of fewer trees, traffic, and bad experiences. The best thing to do is find a Realtor that live in the area, knows the schools, and will inform you about the area. I recently worked with Tony and Doug Scott and was very pleased. The Cy-fair school district is strong overall, but be sure to research the individual campus, because they are not all created equally. Hamilton Elementary has a good reputation and many others. There are new neighborhoods that all have water access to small man made lakes and the homeowners have kayaks and paddle boats, it is not lake front property but it is an interesting concept.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Tue May 11, 2010
Hello Again, Lori !
Hope your evening is wonder-Full. I am going to send you this info to assist you in your search for a new home in the Northwest Houston/Cypress/Tomball area. These are only a few of the available homes. Then you can think about your needs and whether these meet your needs. We can discus the homes and get a perspective of what matches your needs and wants. I hope you will call to discuss your plans for your relocation. If you will go to Har.com/KathleenHamid you can contact me from that site as well. Copy this link to see a few homes:

http://harlistings.marketlinx.com/SearchDetail/Scripts/PrtBu…

Now these are only a few of the homes on the market and there are new home builders in subdivisions with or without golf courses. I you are planning a pre-move visit I would be happy to make appointments to show you homes to help make your relocation much easier.

You don't have to say unfortunately you've never been to Houston or Texas. Here they like to say, "We weren't born here but we got here as fast as we could!"

When you are ready let me know and if you have any other questions ....I do care about the quality of my work and I care about my clients. Call me, Kathleen (281) 799-4002
1 vote Thank Flag Link Tue May 11, 2010
There are many wonderful communities in Cypress as well as other neighborhoring towns.

You might also consider living in Spring 77379 or Northwest Houston 77070, 77068, 77069, 77095 and even Parts of Tomball 77375. All are close to Jones 77070

There are many wonderful Master Planned communites in each of ther zip codes.

When I first moved to the area 20 years ago, I lived in Cypress and then moved to Spring. Know the NW area very well and would be more than happy to assist you when you are ready.

You can check all MLS listing in the areas I discussed by going to my website.

Rosa Jimenez
832 567 7833
rosa@mylocalrealty.com
1 vote Thank Flag Link Tue May 11, 2010
You are absolutely going to LOVE Cypress. I was born, raised and have lived all over Houston and the surrounding areas. When I got married and started thinking of a family, I moved to Coles Crossing here in Cypress.

It is full of families and geared around children. As long as you are not commuting with inbound traffic in the morning or outbound in the evening work weeks, the great activities our Big City of Houston has to offer are a short drive away. If you go out of town, you are a short drive away from the small historical towns and beauty of the TX Hill Country and it's many award wining wineries.

There are also many award winning master-planned communities out here. The best neighborhoods out here have kept their value and resales continue to go fast. I'm not sure if you are looking for custom or inventory homes, but I specialize in New Home Sales. My field time is spent finding the best deals in homes that the local builders are trying to liquidate and passing the savings on to my clients. I have worked with custom builders before and am personally blown away by one particular builder out here. You would never believe the homes were built without a personal architectural design team. One particular design features a drive under porte corche that leads to the hidden 3-car garage. It sits on the water with the back of the home in direct view of the fountain. Golf club, 2M clubhouse/recreation center, pool with splash pad. You will be impressed with what we have to offer out here. Some neighborhoods are geared towards nature, some lake living with boat pads, some for the golf enthusiasts and some for complete serenity. Make sure you get to tour all the big ones before you get serious, so you don't have regrets:0)

We welcome you! The hard part will be choosing the right agent to show you around!!
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sat May 8, 2010
Good Saturday Morning, Lori.
You are wisely beginning your search with an open and welcoming invitation. You'll fit in nicely in the area with the Cypress / Texas hospitality. Cy-Fair has excellent schools both public and private and lots of sports. You'll be in Texas sports are a wonderful part of communities here from LaCrosse and soccer to Baseball and swimming and marathons. Lovely golf courses in the Greater Houston area (from Lake Jackson to Conroe there are 140+) so you won't get bored. If you would call me or e-mail me we can visit about more specifics and I will start to work with you to make your move as seamless as possible. Kathleen (281) 799-4002 or Kathleen.Hamid@realmpro.com. Good Luck! and Welcome.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sat May 8, 2010
Hi Lori, I'm a Realtor in Cypress, TX. I know all of the great neighborhoods that you are looking for. Cy-Fair is a great school district. I live in a gated, lake community in Cy-Fair right now. There are so many lake communities, but they are all different. There is a great golf community called Norhgate Forest that is really nice as well. Give me a call and I will find your dream home for you. I strive to please my clients. Happy Mother's Day!
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sat May 8, 2010
Many of the relo's we work with here in Dallas area, will search for a temporary housing from 3 - 12 months allows them investigate more of the area.

Local published media great resource, reviewing school stat's, when you interview agents determine how much they detail info. about cities with interest for you. Prior our office accepting a client our interviews are approx. 30 minutes very detail therefore we provide a search based many of their paticulars.

Lynn911 Dallas Realtor & Consultant, Loan Officer, Credit Repair Advisor
The Michael Group - Dallas Business Journal Top Ranked Realtors
972-699-9111
Web Reference: http://www.lynn911.com
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sat May 8, 2010
That is great news that you might be relocating to Cypress or Houston, Texas!! You would be in the CY-FAIR district, which has a excellent schools for your son to be enrolled in!!! There is also Lone Star College, a community college, in the area. There are some great neighborhoods choose from. Coles Crossing, Longwood, Bridgeland, Stone Gate, Canyon Lakes, and Blackhorse Ranch. Check out these websites: http://www.cfisd.net and http://www.lonestar.edu/cyfair for more school information. I have lived in Cy-Fair for over 20 years and would happy to answer any other questions you have!! Thanks.

Reshekia Fraley-832-677-2784
email: reshekia.fraley@garygreene.com
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sat May 8, 2010
Cypress, Texas offers everything your family would enjoy plus the Cypress Fairbanks Independant School District is excellent. With regards to golf, Blackhorse Ranch and the Houston National Golf Club are located within 5 miles from each other in addition to several other country clubs and golf courses within a 20 miles radius from Cypress for your consideration. Your budget would definitely afford both gated and waterfront communities as well as properties offering private swimming pools. There are numerous auxiliary football and baseball leagues that your son would enjoy, so I'm certain your family would love living in Cypress.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sat May 8, 2010
Hi Lori,
That's great! I'm sure you will like what you will find here in the Greater Houston area. Most of the out of towners that come in looking for similar ammenities, fall in love with The Woodlands. The Woodlands has great schools (Conroe School District) and is a very active community. It's more of a master planned "city" than community. It's built around hike and bike trails, many parks, lakes and of course, golf courses. Did I mention the high end shopping? To die for! Anyway, if you want to shoot me an email, I would be happy to respond with some listings to browse through or feel free to visit my website.

Amber Carrillo, Broker/Owner
It Homes
832~643~5632
ambersells@sbcglobal.net
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sat May 8, 2010
Rick gave you a lot of nice information. I would recommend subdivisions such as; Rock Creek, Blackhorse Ranch, Towne Lake, Kluge Lake, Enchanted Valley Estates, Lakes of Fairhaven, Cypress Creek Lakes, Fairfiled and Brideland. You will find spectaular newer homes, golf is abundant here, and private pools are also abundant. These are newer subdivisions, with newer amenities, larger lots on most, and some have gated entries.

Let us know if we can be of service!
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sat May 8, 2010
Cypress would be a great location because of proximity to his work. Neighborhoods like Coles Crossing and Longwood are very nice. Trips to Austin and the Texas Hill Country would be convenient from there, too. Your biggest drawback would be Highway 290 going into Houston itself. It gets very stacked up and at some point there'll be massive construction on it in order to widen it and make the traffic flow better. There has been a lot of growth, and there continues to be, in the northwest Houston area and 290 can't handle it. Luckily, since your husband will only be going as far as Jones, he won't have to regularly suffer the rest of the trip into Houston.
There are other desirable neighborhoods such as Bridgeland in that northwest corridor as well. There is a very nice little gated community off of Telge called Stable Gate, too. I have a friend that lives there and he's got a beautiful Village Builders home.
You can get a lot of house for $600k in the Houston area, by the way. Here you can get a very nice home in the $250-$300k range, $600 would buy you an exquisite house with many custom upgrades.
Also, you might want to check out The Woodlands - it is more north of Houston but there are ways to get to the Jones/290 area depending on where you'd be in The Woodlands. It has many great amenities and is more of a giant master-planned area than Cypress, which is more of a lot of different neighborhoods and developments with strip centers in-between. Also, The Woodlands offers 45 and the Hardy Toll Road as options to get downtown if you're going to an Astros game or whatever. And it has some nice upscale dining choices and GREAT shopping. There are awesome neighborhoods in the back of The Woodlands that you would be very happy with buying a $600k house in. Also, the back part offers some shortcuts over to 249 to be able to get to Jones/Beltway.
There is a really neat subdivison called Old Mill Creek north of Tomball that would correlate to your budget and isn't that far off 249. Your husband could go 249 to the Beltway to 290.Jones pretty easily from there, I think.
I guess I'm saying don't limit yourself to Cypress, though it's nice and would be the best commute to 290/Jones, if you go up 249 you are going to get a lot of buying power for your budget and still have a reasonable commute, too.
Hope this gave you some ideas of specific neighborhoods to look at online - really, the far north/northwest areas of Houston are great places to live and are good for families so you are already looking in one of the good spots. I'm not a realtor, I'm a mortgage guy, so I'm not trying to sell you on an area that I sell houses in - I'm just telling you my impressions and where I like in the Houston area from my 24 years of living here since you said you don't know Houston at all. I admit I'm biased towards the north/northwest because of all the trees but I live in The Woodlands and know it and the northwest side of town very well. The far west and far south are ok, too, just not enough trees/forests for me in those areas. You are NOT going to want to live in the near north, west, east, or south of Houston unless you are inside the 610 loop, just FYI (and then you'd really better stick to the near west). The problem with inside the loop is that your $600k won't go near as far there.
Sorry to ramble so much, been a long day! Good luck! Rick
1 vote Thank Flag Link Fri May 7, 2010
Copperfield and Hearthstone are close by and are nice neighborhoods. Hearthstone has it's own golf course. Longwood is also a nice place and it too has it's own golf course. I also agree with the previous post, Bridgeland, Coles Crossing or Black Horse Ranch. Letme know if I can be of any other help.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Fri May 7, 2010
Go out to Bridgeland, Coles Crossing or Black Horse Ranch. The Schools are excellent there. Do NOT live off of Jones Rd. I just sold and moved away from Jersey Village, and the schools around there are rough.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Fri May 7, 2010
Hello Lori,
You are the perfect client, you know the location, and the kind of house and amenities you want and you have a set budget. It will be a pleasure to work with you. In your price range you can purchase a perfect estate for you and your family in Cypress, even if you have to drive a little longer to accomplish you criteria, or to get to work.
One of my favorites Subdivision around Cypress is Blackhorse. It has beautiful homes built by well known builders and has a private Golf Club that features thirty six holes, carved with lush landscape of lakes, wetlands and majestic trees.
Although there are several others public Golf Clubs in Cypress. Cypress also counts with an excellent school District. You can also choose from a variety of private schools.
For specific and detailed information, please contact me I will be glad to help you. Rosa
http://www.rosaburk.us.com
http://www.har.com/RosaBurk
rosa@rosaburk.us.com
I don't know if you have picked a Realtor yet since it has been a while that you posted this question. I do know that if you move to the area that you have the opportunity for your children to go to some great schools and for your husband to have a very reasonable commute.
Fairfield, Lakes of Fairfield, Bridgeland, and even Rock Creek are great options for your price range.
If you still havent moved to Houston yet, check out my website and send me an e-mail.
I can send you specific searches along with maps so that you may see the areas and how they corresponde to the rest of Houston...

Oh, and my office is still in the 77070
Welcome to Houston!!! You will love this town with so much to see, do and enjoy. If you are from Alburquerque, You will miss the mountains and altitutude but after a little adjustments, you will acclimate well. I have lived here over 30 years and know the city and suburbs well. You may even consider outside of the city if you prefer some trees and water surroundings. Please contact me at 832-287-4778 if I can assist you in any way.
My office is on Grant Road in zip 77070 close to Jones. The area is a great family area with good schools, a family YMCA, library, and numerous churches. I know of the perfect neighborhoods for you and would love to send you some personalized searches, just send me an e-mail and I can send you much more information.
Feel free to check out my website,too!
Hey Lori,

I know its been 3 months already since you posted. I don't whether you already moved to Houston and found house you are looking. I live off Jones/Grant road and its a nice place but there are no big master planed communities around that area. You got either go to Cypress in 290 or Spring/TOmball area using 249. You can go either way and find real nice houses with waterfront. With your budget, you can get real good house in Bridgeland, Townelake or Champion Lakes...