Considering move to NYC with family...working near Freedom Tower...where to live?

Asked by KC Jones, Leawood, KS Sun Mar 2, 2014

2 kids, kindergarten / elementary ages. Moving from Midwest...would love to understand where to live and what the cost and commute differences are like. I'd be open to any recommendation of a site that shares this type of information. Thanks.

Answers

15
Anna M Brocco, Agent, Williston Park, NY
Sun Mar 2, 2014
Where to live is subjective and the area should be defined and dictated by personal preferences and budget; therefore don't simply just entertain what other people think or say, another's opinion may not be anywhere near the best thing for you, therefore research the neighborhood(s) of interest on your own and take the time to visit more than once; you can also ask your employer for suggestions, and go from there. As for commuting check out http://www.mta.info/fares/ For school information check out https://reportcards.nysed.gov/ or http://www.greatschools.org or http://www.schooldigger.com or http://www.homefair.com/
Agreed, thanks for the links. Very helpful!
Flag Mon Mar 3, 2014
Debra (Debbi…, Agent, Livingston, NJ
Fri Mar 7, 2014
Hi KC!

To follow up with your additional questions - some of the towns in my area include, but are not limited to, the following:

Livingston, Millburn/Short Hills, Maplewood, W. Orange, Summit, N Caldwell , W Caldwell, Roseland, Montclair, and the list goes on..........other towns, could include New Providence and Berkeley Heights and Morristown

My "area" is northern NJ - Essex and parts of Union and Morris Counties (if you're doing your due diligence that will help give you an overview).

I have a number of links on my website wthat offer town, area and school information - please feel free to take a look http://(www.DebbieRoseSells.com)

All the best - email me with any specific questions.

ps
Each of the towns I mentioned has its own unique "flavor".
Several of the towns are what we call "train towns" as they are on the train line that offers direct service into NYC's Penn Station - those towns usually have attractive, "walkable" downtown areas with shops, boutiques, movie theaters and restaurants.
Debra (Debbi…, Agent, Livingston, NJ
Thu Mar 6, 2014
Hi KC

If you share your price range it will really be helpful in eliminating, or expanding, your numerous options!

Get ready with smelling salts if you're looking to buy an apartment in Manhattan that will comfortably accommodate a family of 4!!
Not kidding!

:)

As Alan mentioned, moving to the "suburbs" may be a more viable option than looking to buy in Manhattan - your money will go much further.....it will offer you multiple bedrooms and bathrooms, plus a larger variety as far as price ranges go...........not ot mention a backyard for your children.

Many people working in Manhattan live in and commute from various neighborhoods in Ct, NY suburbs and NJ!

My area is approximately 17 miles from NY - many commuters live here - the commute via train or bus can range from 30 - 50 min. There are a number of options available for commuters.
Price ranges, in the towns I cover, depending on the town, can start as low as in the 300's, and range up to multi-million dollars. Lots of choices.

I think you need to speak to several agents in several locations in and out of NYC - get an idea of what your price range will buy, and then start exploring your options.

I have worked with many transferees over the 29 yrs. I have been in the business, and would be happy to help you sort it all out, and narrow down your choices.

Best wishes!

Debbie Rose
Prudential NJ Properties
email: Debbie.Rose@PrudentialNewJersey.com
This is great thanks, what areas are you recommending. Prior to taking the step of working with a realtor I need to do initial research that let's me determine if the school systems, cost of living and commute times are in appropriate.
Flag Thu Mar 6, 2014
allan erps,A…, Agent, Pearl River, NY
Thu Mar 6, 2014
With all due best wishes on your move East this is my take. If you are looking for a home in Suburbia, I would truly suggest the Rockland & Westchester County areas. Some wonderful School Districts in both. Commute time 30 minutes to 1 hour basically but also great family areas of interest, parks, recreation, etc. I can send you some listings to see if interested(of course criteria of budget, type of homes, Bedrooms necessary, etc. needed). You can check my Profile, email me at allan.erps@randrealty.com or call my cell (845) 304-3040. Best of luck in your endeavors, Allan
This is great thanks, I had looked at Westchester, very appealing. In other forums I saw most suggesting it is an hour on a good day, but most days would be 1.5 hours? Perhaps I am misinformed?
Flag Thu Mar 6, 2014
Masha Sales, Agent, NY,
Thu Mar 6, 2014
I live a few minutes walk from the Freedom Tower and i my daughter is just finishing middle school, so went thru school search process quite recently, it was fun:) I will be happy to help, i am a broker and work all over NYC but downtown is my stamping ground, feel free to call/email.
Cheers,
Masha Sales
CitiHabitats
37 Third Avenue NYC NY 10003
Mobile 917.658.3667
masha@citihabitats.com
Joan Brothers, Agent, New York, NY
Mon Mar 3, 2014
Battery Park City and Lower Tribeca are lovely places in NYC and have many activities for families and people of all ages! If you want us to share anymore thoughts with you, you may contact Joan Brothers of Manhattan Boutique Real Estate at 2123082482 or visit http://www.mbreny.com
Terry Bell, Agent, Santa Rosa, CA
Sun Mar 2, 2014
I grew up in the suburbs of NYC and when I was a kid I believed that everyone worked in NYC!!!! That's because everyone I knew commuted to the city, even my Uncle who traveled from Wesport, Conn. everyday! The New York Central and subway system helped everyone move to the suburbs like in the TV series Mad Men! I suggest you google some transportation routes of the NY Central and subways and see where all the commuters live. Commuting may take a little time, but will not be as big a change for the family if they can have a nice home outside the city. I've lived in the city too, but that's a whole nother type of life that can be very expensive, and may be a culture shock!
Tom Dawson, Agent, New York, NY
Sun Mar 2, 2014
Its a difficult queries to answer but you might want to check out Battery Park. Walk to work. Walk to school. Lots of apts to choose from.
My cell is 3109518993 if you want to call. Moved here from CA almost 4 years ago so can definitely relate to what you're dealing with.
Martina Ryan, Agent, Bayside, NY
Sun Mar 16, 2014
You could actually live in any of the Boroughs. It really depends on how much space you need and what your budget is.
James Scacal…, Agent, Brooklyn, NY
Mon Mar 10, 2014
KC

Welcome to NY! It all depends on what sort of neighborhood you want to live in -- a short commute near the Freedom Tower, or one of the outer boroughs, like Queens, which has lower rent, low taxes, and all the benefits of being in the city, but a little more suburban. If you let me know which you prefer, the size house, your price range, I would be glad to send you things to preview.
You can email me at jscacalossi@regis.org

James Scacalossi
Charles Rutenberg Realty
Sales Representative
917 755 1877
Samantha Yak…, Agent, Short Hills, NJ
Mon Mar 10, 2014
Hello!

If you look on a map of NJ, you see this triangle made from I-78, I-287, and Rt 24, around central/northern NJ. There are so many towns (Millburn, Chatham, Summit, Madison, Bernards, and Warren, to name a few) in this area that range in price and have good school systems. Almost all, if not all, of these towns have direct transportation to NYC via NJ Transit. The time for the commute would probably range from 40 minutes up to an hour or so.

I see that you mentioned that you're doing some research on towns, and I think that's awesome. If you have any questions and would like to know more about any of these areas, please feel free to send me an email: samanthayakobchuk@kw.com
, ,
Sun Mar 9, 2014
Hi KC, New York City itself is comprised of 5 boroughs, thus start with Manhattan where you work - there are terrific options within walking distance of the Freedom Tower that is ideal for you. That could include Battery Park or Tribeca. Within a 25 minute subway commute in Manhattan the Upper Eastside has some of the finest private schools in the nation and access to best parks in Manhattan. That's just
a couple of suggestions - look to the Upper West side too where the commute is a straight shot on the subway and the housing choices are more eclectic. Of course your budget will dictate your needs and there is great single and multifamily housing that's more affordable in Queens and Brooklyn as well as the Bronx - all easily accessible and quick and cheap to get to and from downtown - hundreds of thousands do it every day! Staten Island is a great inexpensive choice from downtown but requires an express bus ride. No need to leave NYC to find what your looking for without a very expensive and tediously long commute each day - good luck - call me to discuss your many great choices here in NYC!
allan erps,A…, Agent, Pearl River, NY
Thu Mar 6, 2014
In addition, further commute(mostly Rockland) offers much better pricing/taxes as well.
Mark Zussman, , New York, NY
Sun Mar 2, 2014
Call me I am a broker and would like to help. You have many options depending on your budget.
Mark Zussman
Halstead Properties
mzussman@halstead.com
C. 646 522.1230
Jonathan Abb…, Agent, New York, NY
Sun Mar 2, 2014
Hi there,
I specialize in relocation and I will be happy to help you with the process.
Have many happy clients with similar situation to yours I helped.
please feel free to call me when you have a few minutes to chat 973-908-3084 or email me jabbou@citihabitats. Com