Home Buying in Tampa>Question Details

Qbol, Home Seller in Madison, WI

Considering a relocation to Tampa. Looking for a safe child friendly area with the ability to walk to coffee shops, restaurants etc. Any suggestions?

Asked by Qbol, Madison, WI Mon Jun 11, 2012

I would love to know more about Davis and Harbour Island

Hampton Chase at Main Street, Westchase, Safety Harbor, Hyde Park, downtown Dunedin.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Mon Jun 11, 2012
Qbol, try visiting the website city-data.com regarding tampa. At that site you will be able to find statistics, public forums, answers to previously asked questions and even post your own questions for public comment.

Lynn Brock
Brock Realty Inc.
Davis and Harbour Island are both upscale areas of the Tampa Bay area. You could also try South Tampa and Hyde park. If you would like more home for the money but still want waterfront, you might try Apollo Beach, which is about 30 min. south of Tampa. Are you looking for a single family home, a townhome, or condo? Do you want to be on the water or inland? Do you have a price range in mind? Lots of questions and lots of decisions. I'd be happy to help you narrow down your search.
Harbour Island has extremely high fees and depending on your price range you may only be able to purchase a townhouse. Most condos in Harbour Island are not "approved" so you will have to come up with a significant down payment if you're not able to pay ALL CASH. Davis Island has many older homes if you're not in the upper price range so you have to be comfortable with the often lower ceiling heights.

If your price range is in the high end for Tampa Bay, you may want to consider the upscale sections of the Westchase (33626) area. Here's one of my listings in Tree Tops in the Westchase area to give you an idea, this gated community has homes from $700k to over a million:

In Westchase you can walk to the shops of West Park Village and ride your bike to the Citrus Park Mall and Upper Tampa Bay Trail. Some of the most beautiful beaches in Tampa Bay are not too distant, Honeymoon Island and Clearwater Beach.

One other area to consider is the planned gated Waterchase Community (also 33626). You wouldn't be within walking distance of coffee shops and restaurants but they do have a lot of social activities and tennis and ball fields and a community pool with a fun water slide. The residence and children ride around in golf carts throughout this gated community. The assigned elementary and middle school are excellent and the High School, Sickles is also highly rated. We also have magnet and charter schools for high achieving and specially talented students. The International Baccalaureate Magnet Program will provide a (often better than) private school experience if your child can garner a coveted spot.

You're welcome to "browse like a Realtor" by signing up for a Listingbook account on my website: http://www.SoldOnTampa.com

Also if you'll be relocating via a special relocation package, I am usually able to work with most Relocation companies. You may not have to accept a Realtor they "assign" to you.

Alma Rose Kee, PA
Future Home Realty
Both Harbour Island and Davis Island are located downtown Tampa. They are both considered high end areas. I would be happy to discuss these with you. Please call me as I have additional questions that will help me help you. You can reach me at 813-928-2160
Both Davis and Harbour Island are great communitites with easy access to restaurants. Davis Island is a bit larger about a mile in length, depending on the age of your kids may need to use bikes to get to the shops and restaurants on the island. I live in the downtown area myself and we go biking to Davis Island frequently.
Harbour Island has very easy walking access to downtown Tampa. If you are a hockey fan the Tampa Times Forum is right over the bridge...you could walk to hockey games. You would probably want to bike ride from Davis Island.
The link below you should find helpful, click on an area to get community info.
Let me know if I can help you in your search. Tampa is a great city and i'm sure you are going to love living here.
Davis Islands is fabulous with is winding streets and a great place to for biking. Harbour Island is more urban and is mostly townhomes and condominiums but very close to downtown, Channelside, and St. Pete Forum. You may want to also consider Hyde Park which is a mix between condominiums, townhomes, and single family homes. We go to the 1st Sunday Market all the time and love the restaurants as well. I have lived in the area for over 15 years and I have worked real estate in the area for the last 8 years. Please feel free to call me with any questions.
I reccomend Westchase.

Chris Wyland'
Of course Davis and Harbor Island are in the heart of all things Tampa.
These communities certainly conform to your walkable lifestyle preferences.
First, find a home for sale that conforms to your dream home in these communities. Scroll down the page and you will see tabs for area amenities, maps, demographics, schools, crime and trends. Just click the link below

If you want I can send you a list of active listings in those communities to help with your research and to get you started correctly with step one.
Without knowing more about your lifestyle preferences, such as desire for beach access or access to extensive biking and running trails or the performing arts, it's hard to compile a meaningful list of recommendations. There are so many excellent areas to consider.

Best of Success in finding your Tampa home.
Annette Lawrence
ReMax Realtec Group
South Tampa or Westchase would the best places to start.
Jenny Minor
Be glad to help. Send me your criteria and I will look search for a home for you. HOw many bedrooms, baths, sq ft, and payment amount desired.
If you are not committed to those areas check out Westchase.

You did not say what your price range is but both ares are very nice.