Considering a move from CO (excellent public schools) to UT...

Asked by camrouns, Park City, UT Sun Jan 6, 2013

and am concerned about the public school ratings in SLC - can someone offer perspective on the quality of public schools in Park City? (3 elementary aged children). Thanks, Cam.

Answers

3
Heather Feld…, Agent, Park City, UT
Sun Jan 6, 2013
Cam,
Typically families that move here from other areas and would have put their kids in a private school in their old area place their kids in public school here in Park City. We have 4 elementary schools and we also have a dual immersion program for Spanish and French.

I have a 12 year old son that has been in the Park City school district since 1st grade at Trailside Elementary and we have had a great experience. Of course, check out the Park City schools website, call the individual schools and speak with the principal. When we were considering moving here in 2005 we walked through the school with the Trailside principal to get a feel.

Please feel free to contact me about any other questions you may have regarding Park City vs Salt Lake City. Check out today's air quality rating. SLC gets an inversion where the smog gets trapped in the valley and air quality is poor. Here in Park City we don't get that at all. Google it. I am sure you will find plenty about it.

Another good thing to know is you can buy a home here for less than you think. You can spend in the high $300's for single family up to multi millions. Condos are available for even less.
Copy the address below to search the MLS here.
http://search.parkcityhousehunters.pcmls.com
Heather Feldman
Equity Real Estate Luxury Group
435-731-0803
heather@parkcityhousehunters.com
Melissa Band, Agent, Park City, UT
Sun Jan 6, 2013
Hi Cam,
I have two children - 4 years old and 15 years old - so I have a wide range of experience in the school district.
http://www.pcschools.us is your best resource for the facts and numbers, but I can tell you that the vast majority of Parkites love the PC school district and many of them moved here because of them. We have high parental involvement in our schools, and a fabulous non profit called The Park City Education Foundation http://www.pcef4kids.org/ that gives teacher grants, supports programs and generally invests in education for the entire school district.
Like buying a home, when choosing a school I highly recommend going to the school and wandering around when there are a lot of parents there. School drop off is a great time. Park City has a lot of friendly parents who will happily bend your ear for hours on the pros and cons.
I am assuming you are planning trip to look around, so make sure you plan setting aside a little extra time for checking out the schools, talking to parents, teachers and administrators.
I have some clients who moved here from Superior, CO two years ago (also with 3 school aged children) and I know that they would be happy to talk to you about what they think of PC vs CO!
Please let me know if you have any specific questions. Even if you choose not to buy in Park City, or use me as a realtor, I am happy to be a resource. I have a friend who was just elected to the school board who is very helpful and I could also put you in touch with her.
Feel free to check out my website http://www.parkcityutrealtor.com and don't forget to look at the testimonials!
Melissa Band
Associate Broker
ABR, RSPS
Equity Real Estate Luxury Group
435) 901-3424
mband75@gmail.com
James Black, Agent, Park City, UT
Sun Jan 6, 2013
Hello Cam,
The Park City school district is generally considered to be one of the best, if not the best, in the state. Overall class sizes are generally smaller, with per pupil expenditures generally higher than the Utah average.
If you would like more detailed specifics I would be happy to send them to you. I am a 33 year resident of Park City and work as an associate Broker with Prudential Utah Real Estate.
Jim Black
JimBlack@Pru-Utah.com
435.640.6177