Concerning the first time home buyer's credit and mobile homes.......an IRS agent told me that if you owned a

Asked by First Time, North Carolina Tue Jun 9, 2009

mobile home (but not the land it sits on), it depends on local law as to whether or not it's considered a primary residence. If by local law, the mobile home is considered a permanent fixture, then it is considered by the IRS to be a primary residence (and you cannot claim first time home buyer). If a double-wide was titled (not deeded over because it was set up on rented land) and was not on a permanent foundation, can anyone tell me if it is considered a permanent fixture in NC? Does permanent fixture have more to do with anchors and foundation, or with how the home was taxed (real estate vs. personal property)?

Answers

2
Glenda Marks, , Charlotte, NC
Fri Jun 12, 2009
Unless things have changed in the past few weeks, a double wide is considered personal property, not real property in NC... unless... the tongue is removed, the wheels are removed, and it is set on a permanent foundation. They call this off frame construction. You would also need to own the land.
Melanie McDu…, , 28540
Thu Jun 25, 2009
I have the actual print out from the NAR Government Affairs Update that answers all of the questions. If you would like, I can scan and email it to you. Contact me.

Melanie McDuffie
Melanie.McDuffie@yahoo.com