Comparing 2 properties in North Scottsdale/Rio Verde, one with well, the other with hauled water. How does hauled water affect property value?

Asked by Cathy, North Scottsdale, Scottsdale, AZ Sat Nov 7, 2009

Answers

14
Jeffrey Masich’s answer
Jeffrey Masi…, Agent, Scottsdale, AZ
Sun Nov 8, 2009
Dear Cathy:
Stay away from the "hauled water" if you can. The well water is the way to go.

By the way Rio Verde area is a real gem. Great views and an Arizona rural feel yet close enough to Scottsdale and Fountain Hills for some civilization.

If I can help you in any way, just ask :)

Jeff Masich, Realtor®
Arizona Homes and Land

http://ArizonaHomesLand.com
480-556-0940
jmasich@usa.com
HomeSmart Real Estate
Web Reference:  http://ArizonaHomesLand.com
Dear Jeff, Precisely why is that?? Are you speaking because of cost to haul or are you not concerned with ground water contaminants. Suggest you stick to Real Estate & leave general water statements to those with some knowledge in the field.
Flag Mon Jul 1, 2013
Tonje Kearney, Agent, Scottsdale, AZ
Sat Nov 7, 2009
Cathy,

The difference of buying a home with a good well and one with hauled water is huge! Hauled water is not desirable, and it going to back people off from purchasing your property in the future. That said, there are a lot of bad wells in Rio Verde so if you end up buying one with a well, make sure it is a good one. A well can run from 20k to 50k in Rio Verde depending on where your property is located, and in some areas out there there is no water at all. I would dare to say that the differnce in terms of value can be up to 100k on a property, it is not just the cost of drilling a well (if even possible), but the risk of not finding any water at all.

That said, quite a few people in Rio Verde haul water and is ok with it, but the majority of buyers are not ok with it.
Web Reference:  http://www.TeamKearney.com
scott farmer, Agent, Scottsdale, AZ
Thu Aug 22, 2013
1) there are three different water companies that service the area with hauled water. They make regular deliveries. If you ever run out they make you the very next delivery. There really is not issue. The water is not much more expensive that if you were on city water. They also have systems that can monitor the water level and send it electronically to the provider and they deliver what is needed (the system is $15 a month).

2) Property value. I just had a client refinance a Rio Verde foothills home. He had it calculated with a well and without a well. There was a $100k difference between the two in value (well being better).

3) Scottsdale city water ends at about 136th street. Wells from there are "iffy." Many only producing sludge. The best chance is to use a well drilling company that puts that casing in at the same time they drill the well. This will help a lot. Then they must find the right depth.

You will get more for you money in the Rio Verde Foothills area. Even if it is on hauled water. It is even an area people still wave to you as you pass (very friendly). The views are fantastic (from most lots). I think it is an untapped area and one that will become more and more popular as the valley gets 60k new people coming here each year.

I would suggest you go by what lifestyle you are looking for first. Then compare one home against the other. The hauled water issue is really not as big a one as it might seem at first (I'm told by all my Rio Verde Foothills clients). As far as value, you will know that at the time of purchase and can therefore make the right contract offer.

Having said that there are million dollar homes on hauled water, five acres, pool, with 5+ bedrooms, a den, and an on-suite living area... So, it just depends upon the specific home.

Contact us for more detailed info: ScottsdaleScott.com
jfree2, Home Owner, Scottsdale, AZ
Mon Jul 1, 2013
Cathy, I note that all of these replies are from Real Estate folks. The difference in hauled water vs well water is mostly perceptual. Hauled water generally costs ~$65.00 per 5,000 gallons. Depending on your useage that can become expensive or not. That's the only downside. The water quality you receive is Scottsdale City water and there are no concerns about downstream aquifer contamination, inspections, silting, pump performance, well maintenance, etc. etc..
Do some research with the U of A Extension service & then decide. Stay away from Real Estate Agents for technical expertise.
Daniel Reyno…, , Scottsdale, AZ
Sun Dec 13, 2009
Unless you're getting the home at a rock bottom price, stay away. I think it also depends how long you plan on living in the home. If you're thinking 5 years or longer it could serve as a good investment down the road, despite the water issue.

Daniel Reynolds, Realtor®
Broker Executives, Inc

http://evmls.com
480-297-2008
daniel@brokerexecutives.com
Broker Executives, Inc
Web Reference:  http://evmls.com
David - Appr…, , Maricopa, AZ
Sun Nov 8, 2009
The market dictates the affect on market value. There are many other factors involved in determining how much the affect is - in terms of $.

Generally Speaking -- -- A residential property with an "on site" water source (public or private) will command a higher value (or price) than a residential property without. As stated before - the market dictates how much ($)...

Many wells in the Rio Verde market area are shared wells. The reason being, the amount of available ground water is less in some areas than others, so the number of permitted wells in an area is limited. The number of residential properties sharing a specific well can and does vary. If a buyer is using FHA for financing purposes - the maximum approved number of properties sharing a well is 4.
Stew Keene, Agent, Scottsdale, AZ
Sat Nov 7, 2009
Hi Cathy,

I live in Rio Verde foothills and have owned 2 homes one with a well and one with a water district/well in Granite Mountain Ranch which is where I live now.

On average, the differential of cost for a home with or without a well can range 20-30 thousand dollars roughly and perhaps more.

If you have horses or livestock and intend to have a pool and landscaping be prepared for a lot of water usage from irrigation, pool water evaporation and horses if more than one consuming a lot of water here in the desert.

Costs monthly with a family can run as high as 3-400 per month depending on how large the home and how many are in the family.

Hope this helps you...

Stew Keene - Home Smart Realty
Member Master of Real Estate Society
Scottsdlale and North Phoenix area Specialists.
(480) 220 -7491
Web Reference:  http://www.stewkeene.com
$300 to $400 a month for hauled water? That is over consumption and a extremely high estimate. I personally know people who have hauled water and the cost is between $60 and $75 a a month.
Flag Thu Jul 2, 2015
Gardenguy, Home Buyer, Scottsdale, AZ
Thu Aug 11, 2016
I too live in Rio Verde and have had hauled water for over 12 years. Started with a well and switched to hauled water after it started pumping brown water. I have never had a problem with the haulers and always found them to be more then prompt if I felt I needed water on short notice. After owning several homes with wells I prefer hauled water due to less maintenance and you can pay for a lifetime of maintence fees and the cost of drilling a well for the price I pay for hauling water. Go with hauled water and don't look back it is on par with city water and sewer cost and less taxes to boot.....
Gardenguy, Home Buyer, Scottsdale, AZ
Thu Aug 11, 2016
Sean Heideman, Agent, Phoenix, AZ
Mon Sep 22, 2014
Cathy,

A property with water rights will sell at a higher price than hauled water because hauled water is an inconvenience. Its like buying a car without an engine. To use the car you have to put an engine in the car. I would not recommend buying land without water rights.

If I can be of any further assistance with your real estate needs, please feel free to contact me.

Sean Heideman, Broker
Position Realty
Office: 480-213-5251
Fax: 866-232-2256
Web: http://www.PositionRealty.com
wjfann, Home Owner, Scottsdale, AZ
Tue Sep 16, 2014
I live in Rio Verde and we have hauled water. No big deal. A little more costly then city water in town. A well would be nice but out there you never know if it will dry up. We had friends out on Carefree Hwy with a well and it dried up and now they have hauled.
You just have to keep track of usage. It helps us as consumers be more conscious of conserving water here in AZ.
Ryan Buckley…, Agent, Fountain Hills, AZ
Thu Feb 7, 2013
Ryan Buckley Realtor®
Turning your Dream into an Address
Coldwell Banker Residential Brokerage
480-440-4541
ryan.buckley@azmoves.com
http://www.liveinscottsdale.com
http://www.facebook.com/rcoldwellbanker
twitter @rcoldwellbanker
Ryan Riedy, Mortgage Broker Or Lender, Scottsdale, AZ
Tue Jan 5, 2010
I lived in Rio Verde for 10+ years! Definitely a great place to live.

My experience is with a well, although im not sure as to the affect on property value, it is definitely nice to have.

The well water tastes great!
Cathy, Home Buyer, North Scottsdale, Scottsdale, AZ
Sun Nov 8, 2009
Thanks for all the replies, very helpful.