Natenate, Home Buyer in Bethpage, NY

Closing process in New York State

Asked by Natenate, Bethpage, NY Sat Jan 22, 2011

I am aware that different states do the closing differently. Sometimes the buyers and sellers meet together. How it is done in Upstate New York?

Answers

3
First Last, , 90002
Sun Jan 23, 2011
I've closed on two properties in Monroe County. My experience was similar to Nassau County in that both sides had a lawyer involved, but otherwise there was less paperwork involved. I only attended one of the closings in person; the other my lawyer did for me without my being there.

You may be asking, in essence, do you need a lawyer? I just wouldn't close in New York State without a lawyer. If you hire a local lawyer, you will probably pay a lot less than if you hire a Nassau lawyer, and the local lawyer knows the local practices. I paid a flat fee of about $600 to my lawyer.

Of course you will want title insurance and I always obtain a market value rider on my title insurance. It adds little to the upfront cost of the policy, but it protects your investment for current value if a claim is made after the property has appreciated.

Karla Harby, VP
Charles Rutenberg Realty
New York City
kharby@crrnyc.com
Anna M Brocco, Agent, Williston Park, NY
Sat Jan 22, 2011
The best person to answer your question is your agent and or attorney, therfore consider asking either party the question....
Century 21 P…, Agent, Massapequa, NY
Sat Jan 22, 2011
Check with the agent you are using Upstate. They will give all of the details.