Canarsie flooded homes...what about mold? and will owners/seller disclose flooding to buyers or hide! it? from them...flooding due to Hurricane Sandy!

Asked by May, Brooklyn, NY Thu Nov 1, 2012

2012...Hurricane Sandy flooding home issues?...what can they be besides...mold???

Answers

3
Daddymagyver, Home Buyer, Brooklyn, NY
Wed Nov 28, 2012
Hello May, I have friends & family who live in the canarsie area who were affected by Hurricane Sandy. I know a few people personally who have structural damage on their home due to Hurricane Sandy. Sink holes were created on some properties (that tells you that the earth or soil shifted). I consider structural damge to be a major factor in purchasing a house. also it seems that FEMA is denying a lot of claims in Canarsie & the insurance companies are playing that usual game of trying not to pay you. As Anna said a reputable & licensed home inspector/engineer is the best bet if you must move into Canarsie. People say this is a freak storm but we have had Hurricane Irene last year & Sandy this year. with the affects of global warming I am wondering if this is the new norm for this part of the country. Not trying to scare you, but like I said I was (still contemplating) considering a purchase in Canarsie recently but these are some of the things that concern me & may ultimately make me change my mind.

Good Luck
Anna M Brocco, Agent, Williston Park, NY
Thu Nov 1, 2012
Hire a reputable licensed home inspector/engineer before entering into contract....
Great! advice....thank you, May.
Flag Sat Nov 3, 2012
Mitchell Fel…, Agent, Brooklyn, NY
Thu Nov 1, 2012
Dear May:

This to shall pass. Once the home is emptied of water and the power comes back on, the insurance companies and FEMA will pay for the repairs. They will probably be in better condition after the fact than they were before hand, at least that is how I look at it. The is an act of nature and a rare occurrence, it is not indicative of an ongoing problem. The mold and everything else will be addressed. For many homes, Hurricane Sandy was the first time water even entered the basements.

Most homes will get back to normal within the next couple of months. Before this hurricane, often times a home would sell with mold problems and the new owners would take care of it. It is nothing that a little money can't fix!

Most of the time when you purchase a home you hire an inspector to check out the house. These inspectors can tell you if there is presence of moisture and/or mold. If it is really a concern, you can even hire a mold specialist to check it out for you.

Because this is not something that is a material defect with the house and/or an ongoing problem, the homeowner may not have to disclose it. But if it is a concern for you, you can always ask the homeowner, then they would have to answer you honestly.

Mitchell S. Feldman
Associate Broker/ Director of Sales
Madison Estates & Properties, Inc.
Office: (718) 645-1665/ Cell: (917) 805-0783
Email: MitchellSFeldman@aol.com
Thank you....Great!!! reply, it really helped me understand and I know it will help many others with the same question.
Flag Thu Nov 1, 2012