Can you negotiate the price when buying a new Shapell home in San Ramon? If yes, up to how much? Do I need an agent to do so?

Asked by Dob10, San Ramon, CA Mon Mar 14, 2011

Does it help if you are able to put 30% down payment? Can you pick the lot you want?

Answers

12
Meena Gujral, Agent, Pleasanton, CA
Mon Mar 14, 2011
Dob 10,

I strongly believe that you need an agent when buying a new home in any development. You should have your own representation to negotiate the price, terms and options. The people in the sales office are working for the builder. They will not advice you that the price is negotiable. Your agent can tell you how much they sold for in the last few phases so you can comprae and offer accordingly.

Having your own agent does not cost you anything. The builder pays your agent's commission. So if it can save you thousands of dollars in getting a better price, terms and options, I don't see why you would not get an agent to help you.

I have represented many buyers with new developments and have been able to get a price thousands of dollars less than the price list, in one case $80,000 lower. I am not saying that much is always possible, but it depends on how many lots are realeased in each phase and what sort of demand they have.

If I can help, you can reach me at 925-425-9491.

Meena Gujral
Help-U-Sell Achievers Realty
925-425-9491
http://www.helpusellachievers.com
Amy, , San Ramon, CA
Fri May 6, 2011
Hi East Bay
I cannot seem to send you an e-mail right now, please e-mail me at:
amstellamy@aol.com

Thanks!
East Bay, Home Buyer, Palo Alto, CA
Fri May 6, 2011
Amy- can you contact me, I may be interested but can't see your email anywhere on your profile.
Thanks.
Amy, , San Ramon, CA
Thu May 5, 2011
HI Dob10
Good luck with your search. If you have not bought a home yet, please feel free to contact me. I worked for Shapell for 7 years and can be a great help!

Amy, , San Ramon, CA
Thu May 5, 2011
HI Dob10

Kamal Randha…, Agent, El Sobrante, CA
Mon Mar 14, 2011
Hello Dob,

You certainely can negotiate on the price and putting down 30% isn't going to help you getting the price lowered. Knowledge of the market will. If you like, I can send you a list of homes sold in the last 3 months.

Kamal Randhawa
"straight answers all the time"
Vickie Nagy, Agent, Palm Springs, CA
Mon Mar 14, 2011
Hello Dob10,

I am local agent and have successfully negotiated great values for more than one home buyer with Shapell. Although you do not have to have an agent, it's true that the builder pays for buyer representation...IF you register with your agent initially. If you sign in and start negotiating on your own, you're a 'house client' and the builder will likely not pay for your buyer representation.

The higher downpayment is not an incentive to the builder, by the way. As for chosing a lot, the neighborhoods are already planned. Each lot has a home model and elevation (look) specified for that lot. and it cannot be changed. It is not possible to get the builder to change a home specifed as 'Spanish' elevation to 'Italian', no matter how much you wish it to be done. The builder will follow the community plans as specified and approved by the city.

Respectfully,

Vickie Nagy
Suzanne Look…, Agent, Lafayette, CA
Mon Mar 14, 2011
I was just able to negotiate a purchase for clients on new construction. There is an adage in sales, "if you don't ask, the answer's no". I would suggest you consult with a realtor before signing in at the Shapell office to insure that you have your own representative to assist you with all the details.
Good luck to you,
Suzanne Looker
Web Reference:  http://www.suzannelooker.com
Robin Brooks, Agent, Austin, TX
Mon Mar 14, 2011
HI Dob10,

Generally, everything is negotiable and really just depends on how motivated the builder is to move the property off the books. If the property is complete or almost complete they may by more willing to negotiate price. If it is a recent start or still in foundation then they have "all the time in the world" to sell it so they generally be less flexible. They may offer $$ worth of upgrades during this phase. I would work with an agent because an agent can help you accurately price the home and negotiate on your behalf. If you know what's out there and how much they are being sold for then you at least have a better starting position to start negotiations. Typically it does not cost you anything to have professional representation on your side.

If I can help let me know. I specialize in Danville and San Ramon and would be more than happy to discuss your options with you.

Robin Brooks
(925) 212-2446
robin@agentrobin.com
Web Reference:  http://www.agentrobin.com
, ,
Mon Mar 14, 2011
New construction is always negotiaible. Price and upgrades are always on the table. If you would like a referral to a local agent who has a proven track record let me know.

Happy shopping

Brian
., , San Ramon, CA
Mon Mar 14, 2011
It depends on the home. If it is an inventory home, there are chances you will be able to negotiate price but if they have just poured foundation, or if they are still further off from completion of the home- chances are they won't budge on price.
Web Reference:  http://www.RamaMehra.com
Phil Rotondo, Agent, Melbourne, FL
Mon Mar 14, 2011
Dob10;
You may want to consult with a local Real Estate agent how has sold a new Shapell home. You may be able to negotiate for either price or upgrades....in some cases only upgrades.
Good Luck.
Web Reference:  http://www.321property.com