Can you list a 1/4 bathroom as a bathroom on the MLS? What if it the 1/4 bathroom is not reflected in the?

Asked by Julie, Pasadena, TX Mon Jul 21, 2008

County Assessor's records?

Help the community by answering this question:

+ web reference
Web reference:


Diane Wheatl…, Agent, Upland, CA
Mon Jul 21, 2008
As long as it is there and you can physically use it, it is there and you need to be sure to list it in the MLS. County assessor's office does not always have accurate data on homes. Common occurance. Just set the record straight by listing the correct features of your home in the Multiple Listing Service and other forms of advertising. Good luck!
1 vote
Keith Sorem, Agent, Glendale, CA
Mon Jul 21, 2008
The real question, particularly because you are in Pasadena, is whether you have a buidling permit for that bath with the city of Pasadena. If you don't, that could be big trouble.
The city has a policy that when properties transfer title everything must be permitted in order to issue a certificate of occupancy, which the buyer needs to occupy the property and get their financing.

In the iTech MLS system you can list a 1/4 bath. Usually that means a sink/.
0 votes
Deborah Lon…, , Torrance, CA
Mon Jul 21, 2008
Hi Julie. There are often fields in the MLS to designate what kind of bathroom is on the property. A full bath has a toilet, sink, shower and tub. A 3/4 bath is minus the tub and a half bath, also called a powder room, is the toilet and sink. If the bathroom is on the premises, but not listed on the assessor's records, then it's ok to show it on the MLS. Does this make sense to you?
Web Reference:
0 votes
KEVIN KEYSER, Agent, West Hollywood, CA
Mon Jul 21, 2008
Hi Julie,
You can list it in the MLS... usually it is listed as a half bath if you are just talking about a toilet and a sink. It is important to make sure you disclose to a buyer that there are not permits if that is the case. You can petition the assessor's office to make a change to your property profile that reflects the half bath as well... we did this with a home recently. You can also try to get a permit retroactively if the work was done up to code. Let us know if you have any questions!
Web Reference:
0 votes
Search Advice
Ask our community a question

Email me when…

Learn more