Can you have a city building inspector present at the time of your home inspection before purchasing a home?

Asked by Jhancob, Long Beach, CA Thu Feb 16, 2012

Looking in Summerlin, The Lakes and Red Rock areas of Las Vegas, NV.

Help the community by answering this question:

+ web reference
Web reference:


Robert Ernst, Other Pro, Reno, NV
Tue Aug 14, 2012
Local Building Inspectors or AHJ are there to inspect code issues and life safety issues. They are often called out during construction or to properties where complaints are filed. Unless you had a permit for work or a complaint to address it would be difficult to get one to show up. With budget cuts here in Nevada it's hard to get an appointment even for when you have a permit.

The best thing to do is hire a good Home Inspector and them if something is found you can choose to call out a person that specializes in the trade the potential issue is found. If a Home Inspector finds something of concern there recommendation is a suggestion. If the AHJ finds something there recommendations are mandatory and usually would require a permit to be pulled and repairs performed by a licensed professional before signing off on it. If you want to contact me I can give you references to 3 of the best Inspectors in the Las Vegas area.
0 votes
Dawn Barrier, Agent, Las Vegas, NV
Tue Jul 17, 2012
Yes, you could, but unless you know the inspector personally, getting them out to the home could be a challenge and will be an added cost to you.

Good Luck!
0 votes
Kurt Grosse, Agent, Las Vegas, NV
Fri Feb 17, 2012
Hello Jhancob!
Of course you can have anyone you hire present at an inspection but I have another option you should consider. 16 years ago before I became a Realtor here in Las Vegas, I was a Nevada Professional Engineer. (Called Structural Engineer in other states.) As an engineer I told builders how to build their homes, did structural inspections and met regularly with city inspectors and engineers. If you choose me to be your Realtor in your Las Vegas home purchase, I attend all appointments and while showing properties I am looking for signs of problems and pointing issues out to my client. As your Realtor, you will not need to hire a city building inspector or a Professional Engineer because you will not put in an offer on a questionable property without you knowing there are issues. As your Realtor, I work for you, and I bring all of my old and new degrees, designations and skills as a Realtor, Engineer and Appraiser to the table. The best part is that the seller will pay me to work for you. I only work with committed clients so give me a call and we can start the process of possibly working together. 702.656.1818 Kurt
0 votes
Jeff Wallenf…, , Las Vegas, NV
Thu Feb 16, 2012
Scheduling might be a challenge. Remember that you'll only have 5-10 calendar days after getting your accepted offer to get your inspections done, depending on your contract and the counter-offers.

I am guessing that you are from a part of the country where you can't close on a property without a Certificate of Occupancy from a city inspector. In places like Michigan, for example, they are picky about windows being glazed properly, plumbing and renovations being up to code, and fire safety issues. Please be advised that we don't require that sort of city inspection in Clark County and no C of O is required.
0 votes
Suzie Marqua…, Agent, Las Vegas, NV
Thu Feb 16, 2012
Hello From Las Vegas
I would say you could have a city building inspector at your home inspection if that was your choice and you could persuade a building inspector to be present. My thought that the city inspectors supervision would not allow them to be there. I think they may have a liability issue. If you have a licensed home inspector you should findout what you need to know and feel confident that you are purchasing a sound home. I hope this answer helps.
Thank You
Suzie Marquardt
0 votes
Bill Eckler, Agent, Venice, FL
Thu Feb 16, 2012

Why not?

I can't see a city building inspector jumping at the opportunity to do this but if you can persuade them to join you, the more eyes that look things over the safer you should feel about the condition of your purchase.

The city inspector will certainly view things from a much different perspective than your home inspector. You can expect the sity inspector to view things from a regulation, safety, and code stand point while your home inspector will view the various operating systems (HVAC, electrical, appliances, roof, windows etc.)within the home.

Hope this is helpful.

0 votes
Corey Toushin, Agent, Henderson, NV
Thu Feb 16, 2012

This is a great question. There is a reason why the period in which you perform your home inspection is called the "due diligence" period. As it's YOUR due diligence, you can have anyone you want present at your home inspection for support. However, if you request that the seller make repairs to the home you must submit an inspection report from a licensed residential home inspector.

If you have any more questions or need help with your home search please feel free to contact me.

Corey Toushin, REALTOR
Realty One Group
0 votes
Search Advice
Ask our community a question

Email me when…

Learn more