Can you add appliances into your mortgage?

Asked by Tamara, Monroeville, PA Thu Jan 15, 2009

I am a first time homebuyer. I located a property that is perfect for me except for the fact that it does not come with any appliances in the kitchen. Due to all of the other expenses needed to purchase a home, I am unable to purchase appliances. I realize that I can offer a lower bid due to the fact that there are no appliances ,but that does not solve my dilemna. Can the cost of a refrigerator and stove be incorporated into my mortgage if indeed I was preapproved for enough money to cover them?

Help the community by answering this question:

+ web reference
Web reference:


Marty S, , Irvine, CA
Thu Jan 15, 2009
Luke is dead on. Either offer the list price with the seller replacing thestove and fridge, or if there are competing offers, raise your offer a little bit to have the seller replace them.

FHA, VA and USDA are going to require the stove be in place, anyway.

If I can be of further assistance with your mortagge, please let me know.

Martin Smith

Precision Funding
877-238-6324 Ext 704
877-238-6324 FAX
1 vote
Luke Allison, , Asheville, NC
Thu Jan 15, 2009
Why not just have the seller credit you the cost of appliances after the close?
1 vote
Scott Godzyk, Agent, Manchester, NH
Tue Jan 5, 2010
Tamara simply put if FHa you have to have a stove. You have a couple of basic choices each with a pro and con. you can ask the seller to include appliances, you can add the amount to the offer so that they can credit you at closijng to get them (however do you really want to pay them off in 30 years) the interest will be a fortune... or Your best bet is to go to a local store and apply for a store card to purchase them or worst case go to a rent a center type and lease to own them. Good luck with your purchase.
Web Reference:
0 votes
Erica Ramus,…, Agent, Pottsville, PA
Tue Jan 5, 2010
Luke's answer is the simplest way to handle this.
0 votes
Mike Brasco, Home Seller, Jacksonville, FL
Sun Jan 3, 2010
With an FHA loan some lenders if your buying a foreclosure will allow you to do a escrow hold back. THe bank/seller can give you up to 5000 for repairs upgrades to the home. This money is held in eslrow and released as you get the items.
0 votes
Dale Archdek…, , Philadelphia, PA
Thu Jan 15, 2009
Hi Tamara, the home has to come with stove in order for the mortgage company to lend you money to buy it. But it does not have to come with a refrigerator. Unfortunatly you cannot finance anything except for the home with a mortgage loan. You will need to either purchase a used fridge or finance a new one with another means of credit.
-Dale Archdekin

Dale Archdekin
Coldwell Banker Preferred Old City
223-225 Market St.
Philadelphia PA 19106
Direct: 215-370-1236
Office: 215-923-7600
Fax: 215-940-8207
Web Reference:
0 votes
Search Advice
Ask our community a question
Home Buying in Penn Hills Zip Codes

Email me when…

Learn more