Can we start working with a new agent while we have another short sale offer submitted with a different agent? Do we forfeit our place in line?

Asked by Katie Jackson, Cottonwood Heights, UT Fri Aug 9, 2013

Our current realtor is doing nothing as far as trying to get us the short sale house we are wanting and is not doing anything in the way of finding us a different house either. We would like to start working with someone else, but we are still hoping that one of our previous offers (we have two short sale offers) will come through.

Answers

9
Danette Land…, Agent, Provo, UT
Thu Dec 12, 2013
Hi Katie,

In answer to your question.. once you sign a buyer agreement with a specific agent you are not allowed to sign an agreement with another agent unless you severe that tie first. Short Sales do take more time, however if you don't feel they are working for you as you hired them, then I would fire them and move on! I am sorry you are feeling abandoned... that must be very frustrating for you!
Danette Suker @Home Realty
Mike Burns, Agent, American Fork, UT
Mon Aug 12, 2013
The most important thing to do is have a frank discussion with your current agent about what is going on. The agent may believe that you are content to wait for the existing offers and not pursue other options. If your agent has lost the interest or desire to serve you, you should make sure that your agency agreement is terminated before proceeding to work with another agent. I am sorry you have had such a tough experience.
Chris Bennett, Agent, Orem, UT
Fri Aug 9, 2013
Like mentioned below, it depends on the contract you signed with the agent. I as an agent would never want to put myself in that position of working with a client signed to someone else. I would talk to your agent first to let them know what your expectations for him would be. I have found that most problems like this comes down to a communication problem. I would make sure that he/she knows that you want to continue looking. If you have already done that, go to or call the brokers office and explain your situation and i am sure that the broker would work something out.
Derek Seal, Agent, Sandy, UT
Fri Aug 9, 2013
The longer your short sale hopes go on - the less likely it will happen. I recommend you take the advice of some of the people below and move on.

If you have signed paperwork with the agent - it is best to call his Broker and explain your frustrations.

Both parties to a broker agreement have a responsibility to each other. Those agreements are generally legal and binding agreements and you may need to seek legal counsel, however Agents can't put in an offer and sign a broker agreement and then fall off the face of the earth. At the same time the buyer who signs this agreement does have an obligation to be loyal.

In your situation, I would start with trying to contact the agent's Broker and express your frustrations. You will be able to discuss with them your options. Either the Broker will release you from the contract you most likely signed so that you can find another agent OR he will suggest you work with the same agent or help find another agent in the office to help you and that can get the ball rolling and help you get a home.
Faye Hall, , Utah
Fri Aug 9, 2013
Great advice from Darren Watson
Faye Hall, , Utah
Fri Aug 9, 2013
Did you sign a Buyer Broker agreement with this agent?
Darren Watson, Agent, Sandy, UT
Fri Aug 9, 2013
If you have any follow up questions feel free to mesage me.
Darren Watson, Agent, Sandy, UT
Fri Aug 9, 2013
It really depends on what kind of agreements you've signed with yiur current agent. If you have signed a buyer-broker agreement with him/her then you will have to honor that agreement. If you want you can always request to be released from that contract. Just contact the brokerage and explain your situation.

These kind of situations can be tricky. You may want to consider carefully reading over your contracts with someone familiar with these forms.

Just because you start searching for another house with a different agent won't nullify your current offer.

The biggest danger you run into here is the possibility of having to pay a commission to that other agent while at the same time being liable to the new one as well.
Tanya Ess-Yo…, Agent, Marietta, GA
Fri Aug 9, 2013
If your agent isn't doing their best for you, and you are making offers I say move on.