Can we request to see this property even if we did not contact a loan officer yet?

Asked by Blanca Santos, Cragin, Chicago, IL Sat Jul 16, 2011

Answers

18
Tatiana Perry, Agent, Chicago, IL
Sat Jul 16, 2011
Dear Iris, you can see any properties @ any price. But you would like to know how much you can afford. Please contact me @ 773 551 6554 or tatiana@conlonrealestate.com for more info. Best regards. Tatiana Perry
Philip Sencer, Agent, Chicago, IL
Sat Jul 16, 2011
You can, but you should at least speak with a couple of lenders to get an idea as to how much you can afford so you do waste time looking at property that is priced too high for you. My web site has a few lender references. It also has some helpful information for first time home buyers.
Joe Schiller, Agent, Chicago, IL
Sat Jul 16, 2011
you can do anything..but you will get much further if you contact a loan officer 1st
Web Reference:  http://www.joeschiller.net
Tommy Hicks, , Dallas, TX
Sat Jul 16, 2011
Hi Iris,
You CAN, but your first step is talking to a lender. Any Realtor who shows you the property will be doing so with the hope of starting a relationship with you and helping you find a house. As a rule, however, must agents will not show a listing to a unqualified buyer.
Robert Pratt, Agent, Chicago, IL
Wed Jul 20, 2011
Hi there, Iris!

Thank you for your question.
If you don't have a real estate agent assisting you, that is absolutely the best bet for you at this point - find an expert to explain how the whole process goes and to assist you throughout the home search.
Generally speaking, you may request a showing at any time.

In this market, because of the complexities of financing, I would strongly urge you to contact a few lenders before you start looking in order to nail down your price range.
Further, any agent who IS listing and/or showing a property is going to ask you whether you are pre-approved yet - it's an important question.

It works out way better for everyone if your answer can be "Yes!"

Best of luck to you, Iris!
Web Reference:  http://www.dreamtown.com
Gene Mundt, Mortgage Broker Or Lender, New Lenox, IL
Mon Jul 18, 2011
Iris: As you can tell by the answers and comments you have already received ... you CAN get an agent to show you the property in which you are interested. As evidenced by the answers too, most do not recommend that for a variety of (my opinion) very good reasons.
As a lender, I would like to ask a question to you. Your answer will definitely be insight and education into a potential buyer's thinking.
Why do you not WANT to contact a lender? Is it just too preliminary in the process of looking for a home? Do you think you will be hounded by a lender? You view the pre-approval process as laborious?
If you could respond and answer, I'd appreciate it. Your views will be appreciated ...
Gene
Web Reference:  http://www.genemundt.com
Carl Ben Wit…, Agent, Upper Montclair, NJ
Sun Jul 17, 2011
Isn't that the point? She may not be a buyer. She just wants to see the property? Is curious. A little service now could make a client in the future. I can see there are plenty of agents who do not want to show houses unless they know they have a solid, capable buyer. I get that already. How's that working out for you? Don't answer. Must be great. Business as usual in Chicago with a lot of agents? Never mind, None of my business.
Note that Iris does not answer.
Iris, call Karen and see the house.
Matt Laricy, Agent, Chicago, IL
Sun Jul 17, 2011
Yes you can, but whats the point? I am sure you will find an agent that has a lot of time so yes, they will help you out. But if a buyers serious, the get approved first. Its the very first step in the process of home buying. Why put the cart ahead of the horse? You may go out looking at homes for 200k, then you find out you can only afford 150k. Now in your mind, you want a 200k house, and you wont be satisfied w/ the 150k house. Every single time I have ever dealt with someone who doesnt want to get approved, never ever ever qualifies for a loan. I dont understand why you wouldnt want to get pre approved first?
Web Reference:  http://AmericorpRe.com
Terry Perdue, Agent, Chicago, IL
Sun Jul 17, 2011
It is not a requirement to contact a loan officer prior to viewing a property. The disadvantage is if you really want this property, someone else may really want it also. Most seller's will not accept your offer without proof that you can purchase the property. So if you see something that you are interested in and then go into the process of procuring a lender someone else may get the property who has all of the seller's initial requirements at the submission of the offer.
Karen Healy, Agent, Chicago, IL
Sun Jul 17, 2011
Thank you for your intest in our property. You can absolutely arrange to see the property prior to contacting a loan officer. Please contact our office at (773) 233-4200 and arrange a showing for a time that is convenient for you.

Karen Healy
O'Shaughnessy Realtors, Inc.
Trudy Holmes, Agent, Chicago, IL
Sun Jul 17, 2011
Hi, lets start with you calling me at my office so we can get you pe approved or you can forward me your approval letter. 773-451-1200. Since you have a property in mind, I'll need that a well. Realtors are professionals and our goal is to give exceptional dedicated service to our clients. So when you decide to seriously move forward with your home search, call get started.
albert burns, Agent, oakbrook, IL
Sat Jul 16, 2011
For what purpose will you want to just see a house? People who think they can afford a house because they have a good income may have other issues ie. high debt ratio poor credit rating. You should talk to a lender first. Its a Realtors responsibility to bring qualified people to his clients property and anybody elses property.
Sat Jul 16, 2011
I see 271 homes for sale, from low to high prices, all types. Call a large broker's office. They have agents standing by for such calls. Maybe some one will jump in their car and show you the house. Most of us try not to do that for obvious reasons. It could be dangerous. How would you like someone walking into your house for sale and the agent knows nothing about your motives? Look on realtor.com for Open Houses. Maybe one is scheduled. Good luck.
Sat Jul 16, 2011
Iris,
you don't reveal which property you are interested in seeing. You must include a link in your post or question.
I think we all assume you are a buyer. I guess you could just be curious? Or have some other reason for seeing a property. Maybe to get ideas? To case the joint? I will look up Cragin, IL and if I can guess. Call one of the IL agents who have replied here.
Ron Thomas, Agent, Fresno, CA
Sat Jul 16, 2011
You are asking a Realtor to take their time to show you a property that you won't identify, that you may not be able to buy, that you won't let them qualify you for,
and demonstrating that you are not averse to working outside the lines,
will not guarantee your loyalty to them, after you are through.

And I to assume that you also want a teriffic price and unbelievable terms?

Good luck and may God bless
Deborah Smith, Agent, Oak Forest, IL
Sat Jul 16, 2011
Why would you waste your time looking at a home that might be out of your price range? If you need help
contacting some lenders I would be happy to send you some very good lenders that would fit your need.
Sellers and listing agents will not entertain a contract that has does not have a pre-approval attach with the
contract. You would be cheating yourself out of bargaining power without a pre-approval. Debbie Bergthold-Smith Classic Real Estate 708-267-5552
Jeffrey Ziga, , Chicago, IL
Sat Jul 16, 2011
HI, Iris,

You can see the property, let me know when you, would like to see it I can help you, with some lenders.
also help you find the property that will suits you. the best, call me, Thank You,

Jeffrey Ziga
Century 21 mcmullen
cell..773-627-0019
jayz551@aol.com
CHECK OUT MY WEB SITE,,,,,,,, http://,www.chicagofirstrealtor.com
Michael Emery, , Minneapolis, MN
Sat Jul 16, 2011
If you found a home you HAD to have and needed to make an offer immediately, you would not be able to as most sellers require a pre approval letter from a lender as part of home buying process. Personally, I wouldn't entertain an offer from a buyer without a pre approval letter because i wouldn't consider it a serious offer.