Can we find a realtor that will help us look at just one house without sining a contract?

Asked by Shawna Waltz, New London, CT Wed Nov 13, 2013

We're looking at a house we currently had made an offer on about two years ago. The house went into forclosure and we lost it. We saw it come back on the market at a huge price reduction and we're interested. We don't want to sign a contract with anyone since we weren't looking to buy for awhile. However, we might be interested in this house again and want to take a look at it.

Help the community by answering this question:

+ web reference
Web reference:


Greg Hanner, Agent, Waterford, CT
Wed Nov 13, 2013
Hi Shawna,

Yes, you can get representation via a Buyer's Broker agreement on just that property for a limited time. You can also view the property by contacting the listing agent directly, but you would then be an unrepresented buyer. They will require you to sign off on a disclosure acknowledging that you understand you have the right to get an agent working for you and watching out for your interests. There should be no out of pocket costs to you as a Buyer to get representation since your Buyer's agent gets paid out of the proceeds of a closing if you buy the property.

You don't have to sign with an agent for many months. You can have an agreement for just that property. You will need to be pre-qualified for the purchase price before scheduling a showing. I'd be happy to discuss this further if you want to contact me.

Best of luck and hope you get your new home soon.

Greg Hanner, Broker, REALTOR, e-PRO
1 vote
Christopher…, Agent, Tarrytown, NY
Wed Nov 13, 2013
Just call an agent of your choice and be totally honest with them. This is how relationships develop and you never know how it will turn out.

0 votes
Tina Luft, Agent, Mystic, CT
Wed Nov 13, 2013
Hi Shawna,
I am an agent in New London county. All agents will have you sign a contract however it can be just for that house. If I showed you a house say 123 Main st I would have you sign a contract saying if in the next 6 months you decide to buy 123 main st I would represent you.
You have nothing to lose. Always best to have an agent represent you and it doesn't cost you anything. My commission comes from the seller.
0 votes
I cover New London and Windham County
Flag Wed Nov 13, 2013
Lisa Orme, Agent, Windsor, CT
Wed Nov 13, 2013
That would have to be the listing agent, or at least a representative of the listing company, if they are willing to show you the house without representing you. And if they agree, they must have you sign a form which says you understand that they are representing the Seller, and NOT representing you. In Connecticut, an agent cannot show you a house listed by another company unless you have hired them to do so by signing a representation agreement. If they DO show you a house without having you sign the appropriate documents, you probably DON'T want to work with them, because they would not be complying with the state real estate laws. That's the general answer to your question.

Now specifically about this foreclosure property that is on the market right now at a "huge price reduction"... The price may be that much lower because the property has suffered some damage since you last saw it...look for freeze damage/broken or missing pipes, etc. Also, if you're really not going to buy for a while, that house may not be available in "a while". Banks are generally noted for pricing a property and selling it quickly. If you're not ready to make a buying decision, the house may not be on the market long enough for you...

Good luck...
0 votes
Marge Bennett, Agent, Fort Myers, FL
Wed Nov 13, 2013
if the price and condition of the house is right, are you going to make an offer? With the agent who shows you the house? Remember, we ONLY get paid when a home is sold.
0 votes
Search Advice
Ask our community a question
Home Buying in Plainfield Zip Codes

Email me when…

Learn more