Can we ask the seller to pay for a competent person to come out and complete the items that were unable to be inspected due to utilites not being on?

Asked by KL Yipster, Flagstaff, AZ Wed Jun 9, 2010

Help the community by answering this question:

+ web reference
Web reference:


Angelo Pappas, , Flagstaff, AZ
Sat Aug 7, 2010
I agree with Mr. Grannan. Those details should be included in your contract in writing. Your real estate professional knows this and should be able to guide you on the best course of action. Good Luck!

Angelo Pappas, Licensed Real Estate Associate
Prudential Northern Arizona Real Estate
0 votes
Jonathan Dal…, Agent, Glendale, AZ
Sun Jun 13, 2010
Everything depends on your contract. Were the utilities supposed to be turned on? If so, there's a certain course of action your agent should take. Is this a bank owned home and did the addendum or the contract itself say the utilities wouldn't be turned on? If so, asking likely isn't going to get you anywhere. Has your agent really made the suggestion to just go with whatever the inspector paid for by the seller says is wrong or isn't wrong? I kinda hope not.

If you didn't use an agent, consult with a real estate attorney to see what the contract really says.
0 votes
Andy Grannan, Agent, Flagstaff, AZ
Sat Jun 12, 2010
Those types of details are worked out in the writing of the contract. You need to work closely with your realtor to negotiate what you want from the seller as well as what the seller is willing to do to complete the sale. Of course this largely depends on the price, short sale?, bank owned?- so many variables. This process is a balancing act - be sure you are working a realtor you are comfortable talking to and gives you the time to discuss your concerns. Of course your realtor works for you- you can ask for anything during this process. It doesn't mean it will happen or that the transaction will go through but, yes you most certainly can ask.

Andy Grannan
'Results through Performance"
Russ Lyon Sotheby's International
0 votes
Anna M Brocco, Agent, Williston Park, NY
Wed Jun 9, 2010
What is your agent adivising--is the property bank owned, short sale, traditional can try asking and see where it leads--again, your agent can best advise as it relates to your specific situation.
0 votes
Search Advice
Ask our community a question
Home Buying in Flagstaff Zip Codes

Email me when…

Learn more