Can someone tell me anything about Laguna Village.?

Asked by Tony Vega, Irvine, CA Thu Sep 18, 2008

I'm looking at units there and they are lovely but someone told me the HOA board is crooked and there is black mold in all the units....is this true?

Answers

84
Matt Willey, Home Buyer, Laguna Beach, CA
Mon Aug 6, 2012
I am completing a purchase in Laguna Woods. It is a great location, and when I move in lookk for there to be a new Sheriff in town. I agree with the Happy Homeowner comments. All my research has shown me this potentially exquisite community has been managed by either crooks or complete idiots. Some butts need to be kicked and I am just the one to do it. And for those of you homeowners that have no pride in ownership, beware...the fines will stack up. It is time for Laguna Woods to be a community fit for the surrounding area...not the ghetto is is due to lazy homeowners and incompetent board members. This is a warning for the new management company as well. I will be watching you, so you better do your job and I better not find out about any conflicts of interest. You will see my name on the next ballot, but you will all hear from me soon.

Finally, to answer Tony's question, "black mold" was an issue in early construction defect litigation (1980's). The HOA was awarded $2 million, but I do not have verification the HOA in fact took care of the problem. You can go to the Orange County Superior Court website and get additional information.
To: theusualsuspectsloses, everetteveretteeveret,

you are the freak that lives on Mescalero !
Flag Wed Mar 30, 2016
Why has this yahoo crap
not been taken down after 3 years ?
Flag Tue Jul 14, 2015
This is to Ironfist who thinks he is the new Sheriff in town. Since he seems to be new to the community, we will let him know that the Orange County Sheriff before Sandra named Mike Corona went to prison for a variety of crimes. Plus a cop named George in this county and some of his buddies all went to prison for dreaming up fake charges to have a federal witness arrested then had him beat to death by the cartel when he got to their jail, so their has been ongoing corruption problems in this county that you need to be aware of. These condos are run by new people trying to do their jobs. The security tries very hard to do their jobs to keep the parking rules and ensure peoples safety. Same crap different day isnt going to be working here, and whoever dreams of being new Sheriff better have different rules and higher qualities than Mike Corona and Cop named George who are in prison.
Flag Fri Jul 11, 2014
To Ironfist - you are not the new Sheriff in town as the lookk out, you seem to think you have more power ironfist than you do. This board and security is trying hard to get things cleared up, and there are people here who talk to CIA and FBI in DC every day, who say you are not the new sheriff, and if anyone gets in anyones condo illegally will be in deep trouble.. There is an ongoing problem with Ironman psychosis, having a Kevin Spacey federal hate crime problem which is reported to CIA and FBI every week in DC so you need to get over yourself. Ironman has been deflated for the good of the world.
Flag Fri Jul 11, 2014
I am on landscape committee and we are looking for new people to help. You sound like someone who could make a difference. Would you be interested?
Flag Wed May 7, 2014
Ocnative, Home Owner, Laguna Hills, CA
Fri Feb 1, 2013
If there are any other residents reading this thread, please flag as "inappropriate" before these people drive away any more future buyers or tenants from Laguna Village.

To the 3-4 respondents engaged in this diatribe: You are doing permanent harm to the community by recording your argument for posterity in a public forum. Please take your discussion offline for the sake of the other 900 owners' property values. Many buyers consult this website and would be horrified to read what you've written here. You do not represent the majority of folks who live in Laguna Village who simply want to live in peace and quiet.

If you hate so much, please sell and move out.

Please....

lot's of complainers, few who will put there money where there mouth is and serve on the Board. One can't help those that won't help themselves.
Flag Sat May 3, 2014
We moved out and let the bank have it. Have fun paying your special assessments and maintenance fees for dead grass.
Flag Tue Jul 16, 2013
I for one - as a prospective tenant - LOVE to read about possible places to live BEFORE I move in. The owner of the condo WON'T tell you the TRUTH...
Flag Fri Feb 22, 2013
That is a great answer, sell (for what price?), and move? Some of us just want change without having to sue for CCR enforcement and don't want to be told to move.
Flag Fri Feb 1, 2013
Buyer, Home Buyer, Laguna Hills, CA
Mon Sep 5, 2011
I want to thank everyone for the great feedback I received on the HOA question. We didn't get the property we were looking at in the LV area, but we are still looking. We really like the 15-1600 square foot 3 bedroom units. We will continue to explore the HOA issue and it will play a large part in our final decision.
We have lived at LWV for 6 years. The lady that moved in above us is issuing several complaints to the Board and so far they are fining us $500. It is her opinion if the tv is too loud. Board members came out and checked the noise level and said they could not determine anything, but still requiring to us pay $500. I want out!!!
Flag Thu Aug 10, 2017
Jane D., , Laguna Hills, CA
Thu Jan 31, 2013
This is a real estate site...not a blog to spew profanity or express your disgust with a long-corrupt BOD and this community's outdated and unmanageable CC&R's.

If you have complaints, post them where they belong. Not on this Trulia site. You are only making fools of yourselves and helping to depreciate any value that may remain for the rest of us!
Jane D., , Laguna Hills, CA
Mon Sep 12, 2011
If that last sentence is true....then this would be a happy relief for the rest of us!
Happy Owner…, , Laguna Hills, CA
Mon Sep 5, 2011
I love the people who complain about what is wrong or what they do not agree with or like when they choose to live in an HOA, whether it is here at Laguna Village or another community, yet never get involved. If a homeowner is unhappy with what they feel is not being handled correctly, then get involved, run for the board, join one of the many committees, however, the complainers never will, complainers just do a lot of barking and complaining.
One thing I have learned from living here at Laguna Village, is that we will be screwed again and again, all because people just want to bellyache about things and by not trying to get on the board, the same old people that have manipulated this community for many, many years, continue to get back on and we will continue to have problems because of this.
During the 2009 elections, we finally got an almost [all] new group of board members, yet those old board members gave this new board nothing but problems and total disruption at board meetings.
Like Katy posted, this is a nice place, centrally located, good square footage, but it needs new blood, so stop complaining and do something.
James, , Laguna Hills, CA
Fri Dec 18, 2009
I have lived in LV for 8 miserable years. It was only until the new Board got in through a recall that I have seen some positive changes. Old signs which were broken and left up for years, have now been taken down. Streets are getting paved for the 1st time since I have lived here.

Also have new onsite mangagement (how the old Board thought a company in San Clemente could manage 900 units from afar is amazing). There is direct contact with Manager and staff, newly formed Committees, and a new community website. Even getting some rules enforced.

All positive steps. If we can keep cancerous guys named Ron, George, and Bill from ever getting on the Board again, things may continue in the right direction.

I would recommend getting your unit inspected prior to purchase. As in any community, you get what you pay for.
Fed Up, Home Seller, Laguna Hills, CA
Sun Jul 12, 2009
I have lived in Laguna Village for 12 years. The HOA has always been a (very expensive) joke. The black mold has been taken care of as far as I know. The problem is that the grounds look worse as the dues go up. Yet again, I have a rat in the wall in my garage. I have been in the mortgage lending field for over 20 years. For what we get for our money compared to other HOA's in south Orange County, it is a crime. There is an HOA association in Mission Viejo that for $185 a month, you get membership to the Lake and it's facilities, beautiful pool, jacuzzi, library, a real banquet room, excercise room, golf, tennis, bocci and the list goes on. The grounds are immaculate. The rules are enforced by the property management. and respoected by the people that live there.

What do we get? Rats, bare grounds where there should be lawn, run down facilities by the pools. And, just for good measure, we have a never ending problem with the Board members. If I had to do it again, I would never buy here. I love my place but the rest of the development - not so much. There have been HOA problems since I moved in - 12 years of them.
Mrs. Sampson, , Laguna Hills, CA
Sun Jun 14, 2009
On a more positive note: they did finally repair both the visible termite damage and the place by the back door where the rot was. We haven't seen any rats since they put poison out for the gophers. And they did fix the roof leaks and are "supposedly" going to put a new roof on soon.
There is a new security company who seems to be writing lots of tickets for parking and other offenses but since the fine system is not enforced by AMMCOR (the current property management company) no one really takes the tickets seriously. The landscapers are still sub-par; lots of barren patches thru out the property.
There was recently a big ruckus in regards to the current board. All kinds of accusations flying at those who are currently elected and those who wish to have them removed. I think there may still be a current lawsuit or two but am really not sure of the details since as a renter I have little say in what happens (and my owner does pay his dues). You should come to one of the meetings and see if you can get additional information.
Mail, Home Buyer, Corona, CA
Thu Apr 20, 2017
At the risk of opening a can of worms...

We are potentially looking to buy in the community. I know this thread is several years old now and am therefore reading it knowing that things may have changed since it was written.

So, to any current owners / residents, how have things been in the past couple of years? Any issues you think a potential buyer should be aware of?

Thanks in advance, and let's all try and keep things friendly if there are varying opinions!
Richard, ,
Thu Mar 16, 2017
I'm in escrow, and they are telling me that there is several litigation's taking place. My first lender wouldn't not fund the condo. Something about infrastructure....
Only 1 pending case that is not holding up any lending.
Flag Thu Sep 28, 2017
James, , Laguna Hills, CA
Wed Mar 30, 2016
to theusualsuspectsloses, everetteveretteeveret,

you are the whacko freak who lives on mescalero!
Seaddress-mi…, Home Buyer, Laguna Hills, CA
Wed Aug 26, 2015
My father lived here in a single story triplex condo with a garage until 2012 and I spent time in LW caring for him part time. I found it to be very peaceful, nicely maintained and no major problems. The units are old and most need remodeling, unless you're buying one where that has been done. The "cottage cheese" ceilings are SO dated and I felt like the place is sort of stuck in a 1970's time freeze.

The cable TV and private local channel were just plain awful, and if I lived there I'd prefer to have DirecTV. The gardeners did a decent job, the grass was green but this was pre-drought, it was quiet most of the time except for the gardeners loud leaf blowers in the morning, there was the occasional ambulance that came to take someone away. Not much water pressure in the 1/2" diameter hose to water anything or maybe wash your car. It was so quiet that it seemed spooky sometimes, except for Korean neighbors that were very noisy when family came to visit. I thought there was a riot in the street at first!
johnlenderol…, , Laguna Hills, CA
Wed Feb 11, 2015
The best way that people can handle their complaints which are not being answered or solved by the HOA Board or the Seabreeze Management is to file HUD Housing Complaints with the government. From what I have seen and heard there at Village Condos is that numerous federal HUD violations are occuring there, and pretty much there is a CULT or cartel attitude that is almost criminal going on of thinking that they are above the law in their housing violations. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but it needs to be told.
denise, Home Owner, Foothill Ranch, CA
Wed Nov 12, 2014
Well...this answer is a bit late for Tony...but maybe it will help someone else. I moved to Laguna Woods from the mountains to transition myself back into Orange County. I had little time to find a new place so thought I would try Laguna Woods since it was so close to everything. I am now counting the days for my lease to end! I call this place "La La" land! The drivers are crazy (in and around Laguna Woods) and most should not be allowed on the road!! I can't tell you how many times one of these "drivers" will just suddenly stop their car, in the middle of the road, for no reason!! And I always seem to be the one behind them! It is very frustrating! They either drive at a snail's pace or drive like a madman! As annoying as this is, it is also a bit laughable! Laguna Woods, at least where I am currently living, is very, very noisy. Expect to hear sirens several times a day...many times on your street! Sadly, this is the nature of living in a retirement community which is a bit depressing, except for the hunky firemen! Also, very important for animal lovers, Laguna Woods is NOT dog friendly! You may see lots of people walking their dogs but be forewarned that most of these dogs have been sick or are sick, from the excessive pesticides they spray on the grass! Everyone complains about this but nothing has or is being done about this issue! I know, I have tried myself to find out why they - the management - continue to spray toxic poisons on grass in a retirement community. Apparently, it is a budget issue. Really? Yes, a budget issue! So...something "green" and good for the environment costs more than the pesticides currently used which kill everything in sight!! Craaaazy!!! Another reason why I call this place is "La La" land! Also, please be aware of the wildlife that roam the streets of Laguna Woods...day... and night! Coyotes are everywhere. I have seen them and they are not the least bit afraid of people! They want your dogs...and cats!! Many people carry big sticks with them while walking their dogs. I tried this but felt like a big goofus. I am not that coordinated so the stick would be more of a hindrance than a help. Oh, and I can't forget the "Gate Ambassadors." These are the people who let you through the gates. Some salute you (am I living on an air base?); some wave and smile big (like I am entering Disneyland, which, come to think of it, is not that far off from what it is like living here...you just never know what is going to happen next); and some are simply too busy talking to whoever is in the secret little office at the gate to even care who you are and why you are entering this retiree paradise...NOT! Gotta go now for I hear another siren...and it's close by. I know I shouldn't be that excited about this but it can only mean one thing! More hunky firemen!
theusualsusp…, , Laguna Hills, CA
Fri Jul 11, 2014
The condos at Laguna Village are nice and clean that we have seen. We are very impressed with our condo and like it much better than other places we have lived in Orange County. Management seems to be doing their jobs and security is excellent and trying hard. Seems to be a little trouble with sprinklers, but looks like they are working hard on that problem too. We looked all over Orange County for places and this was way nicest condos although the rent is high all over Orange County. The people griping about some of the grass dying is an insane gripe as CA is in a drought and hasnt had rain in months, so their is only so much that sprinklers can do. These condos with the sprinkler system is an excellent idea though as they shouldnt have any fires here with the sprinklers so things dont get so dry. As Rodney King would have said "Can't we just all get along?" Lets try to work with management to make this a better place. Work with security to clean up corruption problems in Orange County, and make these condos a quiet, peaceful place to live. Neighbors get along and treat your neighbor the way that you want to be treated. We are happy here and everyone should be thankful for a place to live and food to eat, and not homeless in an illegal immigrant camp.
william_harv…, Home Buyer, Laguna Hills, CA
Fri Nov 8, 2013
By the way, Jane D., Small Claims only costs what the HOA should have done in the first place...no attorneys, no punitive damages. There is another way...throw out the board and the management company.
Fri Nov 8, 2013
Jane D., please. Just look at the overall maintenance compared to other communities. Other HOA's do not allow owners to use their garages as workshops, then take up all the parking spaces. Other HOA's do not allow window torn window screens or junked-up patios for months at a time. Other HOA's fix exterior lights that are broken after one report. This pathetic management company requires numerous calls and they still don't get fixed. I understand maintaining the plants in the front. I re-landscaped, but the sprinklers do not work. I have made several calls to the management company. The landscaper confirmed it was an HOA valve, but after a year it is still not replaced. The trees are overgrown and are not pruned regularly. Pine needles cover plants and cars, and pine cones have actually damaged cars (this IS from poor maintenance). The streets are in disrepair because their has not been regular slurry coats applied...now they need replacement in many areas. Walk around the foundations of many buildings and there is evidence of water damage and land erosion. Shall I go on? Look at the big picture. If homeowners do not start demanding action, this will cost us more in the long run. If money is the ONLY problem, we should all vote for a temporary increase in dues until these and other issues are resolved. We should demand the board get competitive bids from other management companies and hold them accountable.
Jane D., , Laguna Hills, CA
Thu Nov 7, 2013
What some of you seem to assume is that the gardeners serving our community are your personal landscapers. They are not and never have been.

You "paid out of your own pocket to plant some nice plants there." The catch phrase is...YOU PAID TO PLANT. If you have plants you chose to plant in your entry flower beds, YOU need to plant them yourself or hire a landscaper to do so.

Having lived in this community for over 25 years, you tend to get the hang of these things rather than complain about them. There are plenty of other things for us to focus on regarding our Association, its structure and its cost.

About 10 or 11 years ago I had a beautiful tree removed from my entry yard because it suffered from a disease that many of our old-growth trees have been afflicted with. When they finally removed the stump, never was any ground cover or plants put in to replace it. After a year or so I selected and paid for my own plants of choice and spent a few very relaxing days creating MY entry yard the way I wanted it to be. My neighbors have also been doing the same for longer than you have lived in the community.

So sitting there complaining that our community gardeners didn't follow your specific instructions then contacting the office to report that is really out of whack, and I'm not at all surprised that you were met with rudeness by the management representative when you decided to gripe about it.

Hire your own gardener or get a little dirty yourself but please don't redirect our gardeners to focus on your personal landscaping layout -- they have plenty of community acreage to cover as it is, and frankly we pay to be doing exactly that.

This isn't an apartment complex...its OUR homes!
Thu Nov 7, 2013
If you are smart and energetic, you have an opportunity. This can be a great investment if we can replace this board and the management company. For all those below who are dissatisfied, we need you to get on the board. If not that, flood the management company with calls. Consider filing Small Claims suits. The court is right around the corner and it is easier than you think. We could improve the financial situation simply by imposing fines on those who will not comply with the rules...especially those who are stealing from the rest of us by bring down our property values and not parking their cars in the garages. GET INVOLVED!!!
Most of us have been here long enough to know that a multitude of lawsuits always ends up costing every one of us...you, me, our neighbors -- so perhaps you'd do well to come up with other suggestions. Many of us have.
Flag Thu Nov 7, 2013
coachneela, Home Owner, Laguna Hills, CA
Thu Nov 7, 2013
I love my home and I love most of my neighbors but the HOA IS A JOKE!!!!!!!!!! RUDE RUDE RUDE!!!! I just got off the phone with KAREN in the front office. I have called her only once before regarding my garden in front of the house that is a part of HOA. I paid out of my own pocket to plant some nice plants there (the gardeners had ripped out the bush that was there before) After several weeks of the plants just sitting there, I cornered a gardener one morning to put them in before they died. He did but not correctly. So I called Karen and she said it would be taken care of. Its now been two weeks and my plants are dead. No sprinklers, not put in the ground all the way, etc. So I just called Karen back again for the second time. She went off on me like a crazy woman, no joke!! She literally yelled at me like I was her kid and said I have called several times and they keep telling me the same thing. A complete lie. I cannot believe the unprofessionalism this lady displayed. This is one of the many hundreds of issues and the type of people we have to deal with here. It has to stop. KAREN needs to be fired. I have been a homeowner here for over 10 years and I DO NOT RECCOMEND anyone to buy here. I know I am hurting my own property value by doing this, but us homeowners have had enough. We pay our ridiculous dues on time every month and this is the type of nonsence we have to deal with.
reddit, Home Buyer, Laguna Hills, CA
Fri Aug 30, 2013
They really need to bulldoze this place.

-Leaky roofs with blue tarps on them.
-Rat infestation
-Rotten construction
-Black toxic Mold
-HOA bankruptcy
-Geological issues, units sliding down hillsides.
-Grafiti
-Derelict amenities
-Most units are rented to a "changing demographic"
-Many are abandoned and don't pay HOA.

*340$* a month HOA somehow can't fix these issues.

I see many selling in the 200s these days. A tad to high I think.
I have lived here for 7 years & I am sad to report that the situation here as been steadily going down hill - landscape has been cut back - signs throughout the Village are pitiful often faded & impossible to read. I could go on but I think you see what I'm saying
Flag Wed Jan 29, 2014
Chiefand1stm…, Home Buyer, Laguna Hills, CA
Wed Aug 14, 2013
Two words, Look elsewhere! I have lived here for 17 years and getting the association to do anything is like pulling teeth. The contractor who built these homes has been sued several times and is now long gone leaving many problems. I had a severe leak every time it rained that took five years o repair. I complained for 15 years that water was flooding my dirt cave area and seeping through the foundation. They just now did the repairs and the landscaping to finish the repair around the house is still not done. I'm going down today to complain again! Many questions have been raised over the years about where the money goes and numerous elections have been held with the same people it seems getting re-elected. Nope, look elsewhere! As soon as the housing market goes back up a little, we will try and get the hell out of here!
linda adams, Renter, Oceanside, CA
Tue May 7, 2013
There were a few units that suffered mold issues, do to rain gutters not been installed on the front of unit. When mold is found by law they have thirty days to remediate. We had damage they replaced the whole front of our home as well as others. The HOA board is made up of homeowners they get elected by the tenants. In 2005 we had looked at several of the units they were priced at 500-700. Many of the folks had purchased the homes at the height of the real estate scam. I can remember walking into the units we were looking, I knew we made more than them how could they afford this. Well as we all know realtors sold them 5 year low rate, then BAM there mortgage double, they had over 100 foreclosures. We waited until the prices went down and purchased. The previous owner bought at $550K. prices even went lower people walked away from the homes or refused to pay the HOA fees. Our value went down so we waited for prices went back up. So the previous Management CO. filed bankruptcy. Now the homes sell fast they are priced correctly and they are making improvements due to they don't have empty homes. Our unit has received multiple offers, we purchased in 300K.
James, , Laguna Hills, CA
Tue May 7, 2013
I saw your Cam Costo listing on Zillow... "shuffleboard, volleyball courts and community center"? You mean shuffleboard with no equipment, volleyball with no net or ball, and community center with a pool table that has old boxes of records stored on it. How the Mgmt. company shows up to work each day and looks at stacks of boxes in the window speaks to their efforts, or lack there of.

Please be accurate when describing community. Your description is as far off base as ones that tout "plenty of guest parking" !
Sat May 4, 2013
The board is incompetent and needs to be replaced, as well as the property management company. There is no black mold. This neighborhood could be a gem, but the do-nothing board and management company have allowed it to be like a ghetto.
Josh Barnett, Agent, Carney, OK
Sat May 4, 2013
Check out the "Local Info" Tab at the top, great info on all communities.

That is if you are still interested after 5 years.
linda adams, Renter, Oceanside, CA
Sat May 4, 2013
Again, we had our remediated, and retextured the walls replaced they the stair rails, paint new carpet and we have landscaped the back patio, great for growing herbs the back patio sits out side master I miss our little oasis. there are granite counters in the kitchen and guest bathroom plus it's an end unit so we have 3 bedrooms, two baths and room had been built in the basement great for storage plus a two car garage. Our neighbor is OC sheriff Detective which everyone knows. Also right before we left we saw several neighbors putting in gardens in the front of their homes. Again ours just went on the market after we had Dennis who live at the end of the units do the work. Excellent skills originally from Canada where building is art form he is very trustworthy he did his home and others there too.
Our home is up for sale located at 22492 Caminito Costa and is larger than most.
linda adams, Renter, Oceanside, CA
Sat May 4, 2013
No there isn't black mold in all the units, we did have an issue because rain gutter not be installed over the front window, they did a complete remediation, to out the main header replaced all the drywall and exterior. And this was only a few units. the rest had the gutters. Other than that if the occupant like in home does maintain an drips or repair inside that is problem. However I went into many of the homes up for sell here, We just put ours up only because my husband was transferred to Florida. 22492 Caminito Costa. As far is the HOA you do have notify them any issues, and if there is mold they have 30 in which to remediate and they do. That is the law.
Please contact me! We looked at your condo this afternoon and we're very interested. - jgundahson@gmail.com

Thank you
Flag Sat May 4, 2013
Wed Jan 30, 2013
I certainly can see the frustration. I understand that historically this HOA has been completely inept and possibly corrupt. The board members themselves have been some of the worst violators of the CC&R's. I do like the simplicity of W.H.'s message. Can we not start by just enforcing the existing rules? We need revenue. Fine people who, after a polite warning do not comply. If they do not comply, file liens. That is what everyone agreed to when they bought in here. The people who follow the rules have a right to insist that everyone else do the same.
Tue Jan 29, 2013
So, here is my advice to all of us frustrated homeowners: Go around the corner and start filing Small Claims actions. Here is an example, we'll start with the caves. Step 1. Write a letter to the HOA demanding repair of the slope and copies of all reports/estimates for water proofing each unit. They won't comply. Step 2. Get your own estimate to correct your unit only. Step 3. File a Small Claims Action for the max. ($10,000). Step 4. Subpoena all records regarding the slope failure and waterproofing. They won't comply. Step 5. Go to the hearing. You will either get a judgement or he will order a production of documents, or he will order a reasonable continuance for the HOA to correct the problem. Never be unreasonable with a Small Claims Judge. You can do that for things like water damage to paint from leaky roofs too. Anything that pertains to your unit. The CC&R's is a contract. If they don't fix a problem after you request in writing, hit them with Small Claims.
Sat Oct 20, 2012
Sat Oct 20, 2012
I do not know if the board is crooked, but they have been historically incompetent. There is a record of black mold, but I don't think it affects all the units. There is also a history of soil erosion and other structural problems. There is a history of mismanagement of money, poor maintenance and lack of CC&R enforcement. The HOA typically is not very forthcoming about these problems. You can take a peak at the Orange County Superior Court website for some information. A new concern is new Fannie Mae rules for lending to people who want to buy condos. It will not lend if HOA reserves are not adequate. We must elect board members who have some business background and who will hold the management company's feet to the fire. This lack of maintenance will snowball into litigation, or preventable damage. As they say an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure. Hopefully the ounce of prevention will just be better management and/or a modest increase in dues. If homeowners do not act, it won't be a pound of cure; it is more likely to be a ton of cure in the form of special assessments.
CA, Home Owner, Laguna Hills, CA
Sat Oct 20, 2012
Please excuse my spelling errors, thought I caught them all.
CA, Home Owner, Laguna Hills, CA
Sat Oct 20, 2012
Obviously, you have not been keeping up with what is going on in the community as our home values have gone up and have been happy to see units are now beginning to sell over the three-hundred-thousand mark again and owners are getting re-financed. Maybe if you would start looking at the good instead of the petty bad, the community will continue on this course.
Yes, there has been years of abuse and questionable actions of some board members and when new ones get on that have never been involved with those questionable board members have fought to do a good job to work forward, not backward. However, it will be a long road and will not happen overnight, just as with the damage that was done to get us here.
What gets my goat now though, is why did owners who lived here YEARS ago during the worst times when the neglect and questionable actions were happening, just sit idle and do nothing. Do not put all the blame on just these past few years, the damage was done years ago and it was allowed. I for one am glad that there are the few who get on now are are really trying to do good for our community and thank them them for fighting to do good while havwing to put up with the eveils of the long aga past boards.
I hope they continue to persevere and we continue to get more like them and it all started in 2009 when a new board got elected and stood up to evils of the past boards, my hat goes off for all of them.
You need to get a clue. Maybe there are better board members since 2009. But all one has to do is walk the property and see the numerous and repeated violation for maintenance. Look at the foundations of buildings that are being undermined by water erosion. Do you have any clue as to the amount of a Special Assessment if foundation damage occurs? You are right, this slide started years ago. But we do not have the luxury of years for it to turn around. The board needs to start hitting people (especially absentee owners with tenants) with violations and fines. More likely than not, we all are going to have to pony-up another $50-$100 in dues to get the common areas up to par. We have pavement problems, roof problems, soil problems...these are the things is not maintained now will cost us all big time in the future.
Flag Sat Oct 20, 2012
Sat Oct 20, 2012
All due respect, the video makes an excellent point. We are losing the value of our investments because owners will not get involved. And we do not have a board that has the guts to enforce them. Once a few fines are sent out and the word gets out things will change.

for those of us who want to turn things around, I think we can start by contacting the maker of the video. You may not agree with everything on video, but the intent is clear...let us get some solidarity and turn this community around. Make it painful for those absentee landlords. Make the tough decisions that those before us did not for the good of everyone.

James, you need to come out of retirement!
CA, Home Owner, Laguna Hills, CA
Fri Oct 19, 2012
Are you serious, is that the best you could come up with as to the "DEMISE" of Laguna Village?

One thing is correct, owners who rent and do not do their due diligence when screening potential renters, causes undesirebles to come into "ANY" community.

Also, the shot with the Sheriffs, that unfortunately happens more often in our society today and it happens in "ALL" communities, not just what the ignorant idot who made the video calls the "GHETTO."

Also, if I did not live in this community, I would not be wasting my breath (or my fingers) on making any comments on or about Laguna Village.

Not that it is anyones business, still live here and have been here for going on fifteen years.
Mon Aug 13, 2012
My apologies...Laguna Village. And yes, I am serious. It is disgraceful. There has been a level of incompetence that is incomprehensible. Bringing it back will be a challenge, since so much money has been squandered. . But it is doable...tough love.
I am also a recent buyer and would like to join forces with you . Current Board members show little concern for the appearance of the place. (Just look around!) Contact me directly at allbulkhere@yahoo.com.
Flag Thu Aug 16, 2012
James, , Laguna Hills, CA
Mon Aug 13, 2012
Hey Ironfist, do you have the right community? You say Laguna Woods.

If you are as serious as you sound, your approach is just what that place needs.
New owner here. Contact us and we'll be happy to help kick this place in shape! mzamora32@hotmail.com
Flag Mon Aug 27, 2012
Ocnative, Home Owner, Laguna Hills, CA
Mon Jun 18, 2012
Yikes... Came across this thread while doing another search and felt compelled to reply not just to the original post but to help provide some type of perspective for those who land here on future searches.

I am a second generation owner. My Dad bought a Santa Barbara unit (the 3 bedroom units that sit on top of the 2 car enclosed garage) in 1980 - original owner. He passed away last year and lef the unit to me. I've been around the whole 30+ years and can tell you that like most discussions, there is some truth to all the arguments here. The dues are excessive for value received, yes that's due to not one but 2 board fiascos (the recent one resulting in bankruptcy and the $2M judgement plus another back in the 90s) and yes for whatever reason we do seem to have had problems in the last 15 years or so electing boards that get a bit to activist and agressive. I've owned all sorts of properties including condos and detached with HOAs, and I can relate well to the comments that you get out of them what you put into them. Most people in our communities are not extremists, they are well-balanced people just like you who have managed to learn how to play well with others in the world. The problem is that most of us believe we have better things to do than deal with these problem children who seek these positions, whether on your HOA, or some other community association. We rationalize that we don't have time, that we'll wait until things "really get bad" and then boom - the wake up call occurs. Then of course, it's all too overwhelming, nothing can be done, etc.

The way Laguna Village returned to balance in the past was through reasonable, moderate, sincere owners stepping forward to reclaim the middle ground and finding ways to manage what needed to be managed and leaving the rest alone. Minimalist approach. Simple. HOAs work best when you see people using the language of neighbors, "we" instead of "they", "us" instead of "them". The best run associations promote a sense of community, of being in the boat together rather than as some semi-governmental organization that seeks to lecture, penalize and control a group of the less worthy or uneducated. Fiscal prudence has been at issue, since as one of the largest HOAs in Orange County (the largest?) with over 900 units, the board controls a very significant budget. There have been many mangement companies, accountants, lawyers, insurance agents and the like who have sought to parlay influence into increased billing by their business. That often means inexperienced board members or even sometimes people with conflicts of interest are acting upon inadequate or tainted advice.

By the way - Laguna Village was hit quite hard by the recession, with significant numbers of owners defaulting. This means the HOA isn't receiving dues and is in fact incurring cost to go after the back dues, fees, penalties and such. That fact is driving some of the recent increases as well.

If you can get past the HOA dues, the area and the community are very nice. The area is unique in that it abuts permanent open space to Irvine Ranch. For about the first 10 years after we moved there, each spring you could see the Irvine Rach cowboys moving the cattle through the hills. There are also many other benefits to living in the area. While it is true you might find other HOAs with more amentities for less dues, there are not too many other developments that can offer the same value as Laguna Hills when you consider climate, location and community. Keep in mind that in 30+ years there really have only been the a couple of disastrous boards. Let's hope that some new folks buying in during the dip will refresh the community spirit as oftentimes it is new owners who bring a sense of optimisim and a desire to shape the community into something more ideal. A key to this would be to somehow restore approval status with the FHA for loans. If future boards can put a lid on expenses and mange frugally (those grounds may not be what they once were or could be for a while) peace, tranqulity and stability are not far out of reach.
Home Buyer, Home Buyer, Lake Forest, CA
Thu Feb 9, 2012
*UPDATE*

It appears that the Laguna Village HOA has just recently REMOVED all the documents pertaining to the problems that BOB had mentioned from their website.

BUYER BEWARE!!!
Home Buyer, Home Buyer, Lake Forest, CA
Tue Jan 10, 2012
Thank you for the information BOB. It was very helpful. I went on the HOA website and verified much of what you stated. Your posts have been very helpful to me as a home buyer. Your posts are very much appreciated! :)
Katey, Home Buyer, Laguna Hills, CA
Tue Sep 13, 2011
Yes, I was able to obtain financing with a standard loan to value ratio of 80%
Bob, , Laguna Hills, CA
Tue Sep 13, 2011
That is good news Katey.

Were you able to obtain financing with a standard loan to value ratio of 80%?
Katey, Home Buyer, Laguna Hills, CA
Tue Sep 13, 2011
I received funding in Laguna Village with the help of Anthony Ivy. With his approval, here is his contact information:
Anthony Ivy, aivy@cupartners.com
NMLS# 244066
Loan Officer
4 Hutton Centre Dr, Suite 500
Santa Ana, Ca. 92707
(714) 513-7042 Direct
(714) 513-7043 E-Fax
(949) 436-2005 Cell
(866) 469-2717 Office

The Realtor I would recommend is: Jill Murty, http://www.JillMurty.com
Bob, , Laguna Hills, CA
Mon Sep 12, 2011
And by the way, I'd put money on Jane D. being short for Jane Doe. Good luck finding Jane Doe the Laguna Hills Realtor.
Bob, , Laguna Hills, CA
Mon Sep 12, 2011
So much for "Happy Owner Too's" previous comment: "Moreover, this will be my last reply to you as I will not play in your angry bitter game with LVOA."

I made my last comment because you've been directing your comments at me all the while quoting other people's posts, implying that I have been the one saying the things you've been quoting. You are not calling me "Richard" but are implying that I SAID THE THINGS HE HAS SAID. This is not the case.

And, for what it's worth, I think Jane is most likely telling both of us off as this is getting ridiculous.

Have a nice night.
Happy Owner…, , Laguna Hills, CA
Mon Sep 12, 2011
Sorry to disappoint Jane D., and if you are a working realtor, I will be sure not use anyone with those initials, if and when we decide to sell.

Again “BOB” where here or anywhere in my posts, did I call you “Richard?” In fact, if you go back through the blogs, you will see you were the one who got confused and attacked me for replying to a “Richard” and because of your ignorance, continued to rant at me for a reply I made to “Richard.” I will admit though, that instead of going back to see if I did write your name wrong, I “Assumed” you thought I did.

Moreover, and so sorry to disappoint you again “BOB,” we are one of the lucky ones who bought cheap and are lucky enough to not be “Upside down.”

Also (and not to burst your bubble roll here), we like it here, we have remodeled and updated the unit, have great neighbors, and a beautiful view, and all the other amenities I mentioned in my earlier post is why we like it here.

If you really want to rally the forces of you opinions, research and negativity, then why don’t you march up and down Santa Vittoria with big signs informing “un-informed” possible buyer’s, to the evils of this community instead of here to the same handful of people who posted on this site since the original post from Tony, back in 2008.
Bob, , Laguna Hills, CA
Mon Sep 12, 2011
Please stop misquoting me "Happy Owner Too." It's getting very boring and repetitive. You seem to have a really hard time understanding I AM NOT RICHARD. READ THE COMMENT HISTORY.

I enjoy research, learning and sharing my findings with others. Recently, real estate has become a particularly interesting topic. I am not motivated by anger as you seem to so desperately want to believe. I will admit though, when I see people attempting to argue on emotional or non-factual grounds, I do find it enjoyable to present a more fact-based focus to the discussion.

I have no ill will against LVOA. It is simply a fascinating case study in good intentions, grandiose plans and the pitfalls of HOA mismanagement on a large scale. YOUR COMMENTS have motivated me to continue my postings and research.

It's unfortunate that your home's value has declined in recent years, but as a result of your statements, it seems likely that I was correct in my previous conclusion: your whole point for debating the issue was an attempt to paint LVOA in a more positive light and an attempt to create the facts to back up that conclusion. My conclusions have followed my research whereas you seem to have a predetermined motivation and desired outcome.

As I have mentioned previously, those people originally asking about LVOA have since moved on. You have stuck around, as has Katey and have I. We have now debated the this ad nauseum.

I apologize for my misguided attempt to assuage some of the anger I sense in you by using a bit of humor (the "doom and gloom" comment). I was clearly mistaken in doing so.

I stand by my original comment though:

If you or Katey truly want to assist in the re-establishment of LVOA as a viable HOA, providing the names and contact information for lenders willing to underwrite conventional loans in the community IS A GREAT WAY TO START. I, and I think many others, am/are under the impression that there are currently NO lenders willing to touch LVOA. I sincerely invite you (namely, "Katey") to provide evidence to the contrary.

P.S. For the record, it looks like some of your ("Happy Owner Too") comments have been deleted.
Happy Owner…, , Laguna Hills, CA
Mon Sep 12, 2011
Listen Bob,

Your first email was saturated with nothing but emotion along with your follow up emails.

I also still stand by my opinion of why you are so angry and bitter and is why you have to argue your point so desperately.

As for livelihood, when you own a home, it does become part of your "livelihood" and can make you money or lose you money, which has been a sad reality for so many people and not just in this community.

Again, you are gone (supposedly), moved on from this community to a "much better" community, if I was as angry about something as you are about this community, I would be taking a big sigh of relief and enjoying my "much better place" and glad I was no longer associated with the place or the people "You can only imagine where they came from before.”

Moreover, this will be my last reply to you as I will not play in your angry bitter game with LVOA.
1 2