Can my wife get an FHA loan when we already have an FHA loan. (The FHA loan is in my name and the title is in both our names)

Asked by Ydr, 89119 Tue Nov 9, 2010

Answers

9
Sandy Van, Agent, Las Vegas, NV
Fri Nov 12, 2010
Ydr,

Hi, YDR, sorry it took me so long to respond, but I went one step further and contacted my lender to ask for the answer to this question. Here is his response....

Answer: Even if the title did not have her on it, she would not be able to purchase a home using an FHA loan. There are only certain circumstances that allow a couple to purchase using FHA while currently having an FHA loan. Your business moved you out of state to a new job or you just got married and your family sized increased beyond the capacity of the current home.

If you have any further questions, please feel free to call me or email me, and I can also put you in contact with my lender.

Sandy Van
Realtor/Broker Salesman
Realty Executives
The Van Group
702-334-2488
vangroup@realtyexecutives.com
Capelker53, Home Buyer, Las Vegas, NV
Thu Jan 14, 2016
Carol ....If I purchased a home back in 2008 with my husband ( it may have been an FHA loan). But since we have divorced. Can I purchase my own home with an FHA loan now
Jessica Hood…, Agent, Gambrills, MD
Wed Aug 22, 2012
Hi Ydr,

She should be able to but you'll want to make sure by clearing this with your lender and making sure all information is properly disclosed including disposition of the other home.
Sbkarmen, Home Owner, Rancho Cucamonga, CA
Tue Jul 10, 2012
I'm not a genius but here are the guide lines for exceptions for a second FHA loan for a spouce. I believe its intended design was to help a spouse in a divorce situation.

Exceptions for Divorced Persons and Co-signers

Exceptions to the single-loan policy may apply if the person looking for a second FHA loan is a co-borrower on an existing loan. The FHA handbook mentions two circumstances where an exception can be made. If a borrower is divorced and the ex-spouse is living in the couple's insured mortgage home, the borrower can get another FHA-insured loan for a new primary residence. The other exception involves an individual who assisted a family member qualify for a FHA loan as a co-signer on the loan and then applies for a FHA mortgage for his own residence.
Chris Gubb, Agent, Ridgewood, NJ
Fri Nov 12, 2010
Thanks Sandy for doing the research and teaching us all something new.
Makes perfect sense.

Chris Gubb
Tarvin Realtor
Ridgewood, NJ
201-362-6344
1, , Las Vegas, NV
Wed Nov 10, 2010
Mr. Ydr

The information above sounds like a scheme to beat the system and it won't work.

Your deal will be put under a micro scope by any underwriter so don't be mislead by believe it can be done if your and wife are still married and in good terms, if you can prove anything to the contrary I would get pre-approved before going out to see homes.

Thanks.

Marvin
Certified Expert Negotiator, Realtor
702 807-3247
Web Reference:  http://redrockliving.com
Jillian Batc…, Agent, Las Vegas, NV
Wed Nov 10, 2010
This can be a complex answer. FHA loans are for primary residence's only. So your wife would need to qualify for her loan but being that you are married they would pull your credit and your debt too and she would need to qualify with that debt as well. But she would also need to show that it would be her primary residence and if you two are married why would you be living separately? We would need to go more in depth with you and get more details to really make this happen. I am aligned with an amazing team and have an amazing loan officer that might be able to assist you. If you would like to look into this further please contact me at anytime.

Visit my Website
http://www.LasVegas1RealEstate.com

Jillian Batchelor,
The Batchelor Group
702-595-8036 direct
Chris Gubb, Agent, Ridgewood, NJ
Wed Nov 10, 2010
Hi Ydr,
I suggest you contact a local bank or mortgage broker to get full details of what FHA will or will not accept.
Upon reading your question, a question of my own comes to mind.

I believe FHA requires the home to be your primary residence and not a rental property or second home. Since you already have one FHA, a second might not be possible if my info is correct. Again check with a bank or broker who handles FHA loans.

Good Luck,
Chris Gubb
Ryan Smith, Agent, Murrieta, CA
Tue Nov 9, 2010
Hi TDR,

Yes she can still get an FHA loan, assuming she qualifies on her own. However, FHA will still run your credit. The always run the husband and wifes credit.

Chris Blasic
Realty World