Can my wife and I each own a home as a primary residence if we are separated rather than divorced?

Asked by deblackwell, Plano, TX Mon Jul 30, 2012

My wife and I are separated and will stay that way but we do not plan to get divorced. Is there a way for our current home to belong to her and for me to purchase another home for my primary residence (rather than as a secondary or vacation home)? She is self-employed but earns enough to afford the house and I also make enough to purchase a home; we both have good credit.

Help the community by answering this question:

+ web reference
Web reference:


Maria Cipoll…, Agent, Coral Springs, FL
Wed Sep 12, 2012
The first step that you need to do is get in touch with a reliable mortgage broker in your area and ask that question. They normally work with different banks and private lenders. I am sure that they can find a lender that will be willing to give you a mortgage.

Best of Luck,

Maria Cipollone
1 vote
Bruce Lynn, Agent, Coppell, TX
Sat Aug 18, 2012
You'll want to check with your lender about that.
I don't think you can do that, and be careful with homestead exemptions as well.
0 votes
Hunt Holdrid…, Other Pro, Dallas, TX
Wed Aug 1, 2012
You will need to discuss this with your Lender. Are you paying cash for the second home or applying for an additional mortgage?


Hunt Holdridge
Office: (214) 866-0050
Mobile: (214) 457-1639
Fax: (972) 499-2361
0 votes
Susie Kay, Agent, Dallas, TX
Mon Jul 30, 2012
Texas is a community property state so It's better to address your question to an attorney. Let me know if you need referrals.

Thank you!

Susie Kay, Realtor®
United Real Estate
III Lincoln Centre, 5430 LBJ Freeway #280
Dallas, TX 78240

Servicing your real estate need is my priority!
0 votes
Dallas Texas, Agent, Dallas, TN
Mon Jul 30, 2012
I believe IF you paid cash for the home you can do anything you like HOWEVER if it requires a mortgage be both names on title.

You can contact title company inquire.

Lynn911 Dallas Realtor & Consultant, Credit Repair Advisor
Multimillion Dollar Sales Producer

Follow me on Facebook
0 votes
Michael Wilh…, Agent, McKinney, TX
Mon Jul 30, 2012
No. You are still legally bound to each other as a single unit. It takes divorce to make you two units, again.
0 votes
Dixon Wong, Agent, Dallas, TX
Mon Jul 30, 2012
Hi Deblackwell,

This is a lender question.

I would be more than happy to connect you to my lender. Being in Texas, all properties married couples own are community properties. Not sure if you can do what you are trying to do.

You can email me at


JP and Associate
0 votes
Search Advice
Ask our community a question

Email me when…

Learn more