Can buyer ask his agent a copy of the Trend list that shows whether it is a SHORT sale and the commission offred (6% or less)?

Asked by FirsttimeHomebuyer, Downingtown, PA Mon Jul 18, 2011

Can buyer ask his agent a copy of the Trend list that shows whether it is a SHORT sale and the commission offred (6% or less). Is that Copy confidential to Agents ONLY?

Answers

6
Nick & Trudy Vandekar’s answer
Nick & Trudy…, Agent, Devon, PA
Fri Jun 8, 2012
Of course you can ask to see the MLS sheet, many agents give a copy of the full sheet, that printed for the agent regardless, and if any bonus is offered this must be disclosed to you the buyer. However, be aware, that the commission is not 6% usually to the buyers agent, the listing broker may have a listing contract for a set percentage level, but the bank in the short sale may require a lower commission to accept the short sale. Very common today is for listing agents to note to agents that any commission reduced by the bank will be split 50/50 between listing and buyers brokers. When signing your buyer agency agreement, you were able to negotiate what your agent was willing to accept by way of payment, either from you, or from the listing broker. In some states agents require a retainer fee, in advance which goes toward the total commission paid at settlement to prevent buyers using their services and then dumping them to negotiate a better deal. If you don't go to settlement with the agent you lose your retainer fee.
Joanne LaFle…, Agent, Fort Meyers, FL
Sat Dec 24, 2011
Sure they can. As previously stated that information is public knowledge on Multiple Listing Service. The buyer does not pay the commission on a sale unless it is written into the contract.
Erica Ramus,…, Agent, Pottsville, PA
Fri Oct 28, 2011
I don't see why a buyer's agent would not give you that info!
Arleen Pecone, Agent, West Chester, PA
Fri Oct 28, 2011
This is not confidential information, in fact, the information is stated on the MLS. Regarding the commission, it is a "sale expense" that the bank puts into the transaction and the Buyer's Agent should be able to get paid in the transaction.
Spirit Messi…, Agent, Tucson, AZ
Mon Jul 18, 2011
Yes you can ask and they should have no problem telling you. I tell all my clients if any listing is a short sale or not, in fact I try to have a conversation very early. If they are not interested in waiting for a banks response, I will use no short sale as a criteria when sending listings. We do have our agent view vs the client view and the few times a property pays "less", I tell them as I would not want to them to think I was using that as a reason to not suggest it if they want to put in an offer and etc. I try to disclose as much about a property of interest to my clients, as I can.

I don't think I have ever had a buyer ask about the commission, because here in Tucson, AZ buyers don't pay my commission regardless of what it is, in other words they dont care what I make on the property they are buying since they are not paying it. best of luck.
Spirit
Alan May, Agent, Evanston, IL
Mon Jul 18, 2011
You can certainly ask your agent to show you the listing, with the co-op fee that's offered to the buyer's agent. Yes! And, no, it's not confidential. Your agent should be more than willing to share that information with you, and if for some reason, he's not forthcoming with it, go over his head to his managing broker.