Can anyone recommend an engineer to do a sutrctural home inspection?

Asked by christopher.ryan, Providence, RI Wed Jan 30, 2013

My wife and I purchased our two story colonial 7 years ago. The home was built in 1945, and has settled very significantly (our neighbors have settling issues as well, though not as extreme). We had a strucutural engineer inspect the house at the time of the purchase, and he had also inspected the home two years prior for the previous owner. He stated in the report that the house had not appeared to have settled additionally in the two years since the last inspection and the house was in standard condition for a house of it's age. He also noted, (which is true) that about 2/3 of the basement is covered in paneling and is not visible.

However, over the past couple of years I've grown increasingly concerned about the house. Cracks that I have repaired have opened again, and cracks have also appeared in the recently renovated kitchen. We had a contractor in to work on the bathroom and he essentially freaked out about the settling. I also noticed a large crack in the foundation a couple

Answers

2
Nprasad2, Home Buyer, Pawtucket, RI
Mon Feb 4, 2013

I was looking to buy a house in providence with similar issues, just last month. A good friend and neighbor, also a builder, recommended Mr. Paul Gadowry. His analysis made good sense and was able to suggest remedies. Unfortunately, I couldn't get the buyer to sufficiently factor the situation and reduce the price. But, then I found another opportunity and jumped on it.
good luck,

prasad
Prasad here again. I forgot to give the ph#. You can reach Mr. Paul Gadowry at 401-744-5781.
Flag Mon Feb 4, 2013
Rita Danielle…, Agent, Providence, RI
Wed Jan 30, 2013
Hi Christopher - we recommend and use Loren Yoder in Providence or Yoder & Tidwell:

333 Smith Street

Providence, RI 02908

401.751.2460 (t)