Can anyone offer a comparison between SM Village and Shoreview in regards to a home for a young family?

Asked by Raymond Pun, San Francisco, CA Sun Jul 5, 2009

I cannot affrod a 3/2 on the "westside" so looking for the next best thing on the "eastside"

Answers

6
Isabel, Home Seller, San Mateo County, CA
Sat Apr 9, 2011
Check out 3642 Santiago Street in the Village. A beautiful home with wonderful neighbors and a great location. This is the best for the eastside. You need to look no further!
Marilynne Pr…, Agent, San Mateo, CA
Sat Apr 27, 2013
Clarification: Shoreview is built on fill land.
Marilynne Pr…, Agent, San Mateo, CA
Sat Apr 27, 2013

I concur with the advice from my fellow agents for the most part. However, I think the Village would be a better investment when all is said and done. It's a wonderful family community and the schools are somewhat better. In addition, shopping and amenities are in abundance.....Whole Foods, Trader Joe's, Hillsdale Shopping Center and easy access to 101 and 92 and Caltrains. Lots of parks for kids. But more importantly, when the Bay Meadows development is completed in about 5 years, it will be an even more desirable desirable neighborhood with a shopping village, restaurants and green space.

The homes in Fiesta Village are a bit more spacious than the homes in Shoreview. But they were developed on fill land which can be some cause for concern. Please let me know if you would like more information. I enjoy working with young homebuyers!

Kind regards,
MARILYNNE
Robin & Les…, Agent, Burlingame, CA
Tue Jul 7, 2009
San Mateo Village has a more central location than Shoreview. Besides having a neigbhorhood school and park, it is close to the CalTrain station, Whole Foods, and Hillsdale Mall. In comparison, Shoreview is a bit more isolated, east of 101 freeway and closer to the Bay. The shopping is not nearly as nice or convenient.

Shoreview has several different subareas: North Shoreview, Shoreview, Parkside, and Lakeshore. The homes in these areas tend to have more open floor plans than you find in San Mateo Village. The architectural style is more contemporary, often with flat roofs and large windows. Parkside and Lakeshore tend to have larger homes with 2 car garages, some with 2nd bathrooms and even family rooms.

Another thing to consider is the geology of the area. Much of Shoreview is built upon landfill. Numerous homes there have settling problems, and supplemental flood insurance may be required.

There are other areas to consider in the vicinity in the same price range: Sunnybrae, Fiesta Gardens, Sterling Downs, north San Mateo, San Bruno, and east side San Carlos or Millbrae. When looking for homes in a specific price range it is important to work with an area with extensive experience in selling homes on the Peninsula. Robin & Les Wrigley have 20 years experience helping first time buyers here on The Peninsula.
Web Reference:  http://www.wrigleyteam.com
David Tapper, Agent, Burlingame, CA
Mon Jul 6, 2009
Hi Raymond, I think both areas are a great place for a young family. If you are thinking of Shoreview, maybe you look in the Parkside area.

What I like about the Village area is the closeness of the neighbors. It's a tight knit area.

If you have other questions about the San Mateo area, please feel free to ask. I have a team of 6 agents who specialize in San Mateo.

As for schools, please visit http://www.greatschools.com

Dave Tap Tapper
Cashin Company
http://www.DavidTapper.com
http://www.TeamTapper.com
redt4u@aol.com
650-403-6252
David Martin, Agent, San Mateo, CA
Mon Jul 6, 2009
Hi Raymond,
Depending on your long term plan and the age of your children, you are going to want to look at which schools your children would attend. San Mateo village is an excellent neighborhood and provides very easy access to commute corridors.

The other thing I always recommend to my clients is to contact the police station or their website to get crime statistics for a neighborhood. That will also give you some comfort when you are making a decision.

David Martin
Coldwell Banker