Can any one give me an idea of the cost of a Sewer Lateral in Oakland? The last one I had for a duplex was $4300.

Asked by Claudia Muller, Fremont, CA Fri Oct 18, 2013

Answers

6
Jackie Care, Agent, oakland, CA
Wed Oct 23, 2013
Many many homes fall into the $5-6K range. However.....you really need to have a reputable plumbing company who does this all the time come out and video the line and take a good look at the location.
Lisa is correct in that depth is a huge factor. Also, the lines can sometimes be configured so that part of the actual house flooring needs to be disturbed to redo the line. If you're on a hillside, if there are large trees, if there is any indication of something unusual make sure they have really confirmed the depth and location of all the lines. I've had 2 houses recently with bids closer to $20K, one was correct and the other was not. A second opinion is not a bad idea.

http://jackiecare.com/
Shane Harter, Renter, San Francisco, CA
Tue Oct 22, 2013
I have a recent quote for a 65' run for $7700. That seems high to me but I really have no idea except my own gut feeling of it. I, too, would love some data to work with for comparison.
Certainly good advice Pacita.
Flag Wed Oct 23, 2013
Perhaps you should call several plumbers and get estimates --- including trenchless....
Flag Tue Oct 22, 2013
Matthew Smith, Agent, Oakland, CA
Fri Oct 18, 2013
Most are $4-10K depending on how far they need to go to get to the main.
Pacita Dimac…, Agent, Oakland, CA
Fri Oct 18, 2013
Claudia,

$4300 actually sounds quite reasonable.....

But there are questions that will be asked --- for example, is there only one line?

And where is it? We've heard of situations where a line was actually going through someone else's property and as such involved a little more work (and agreement from the neighbor)

How long is the line from the house to the curb? I had a client whose sewer line was 100 ft long. The video showed that it looked fine, and the sellers were hopeful that it will pass the city's test. At around 90 ft....it failed. So they had to replace the line.

What kind of sewer line are you looking for? Trenchless is another option.

So there isn't one answer to your question.....best that you get estimates from at least two plumbers. YOu may be surprised at the difference.
Lisa Cartola…, Agent, Oakland, CA
Fri Oct 18, 2013

Sewer laterals can vary widely in price and will depend on the length, depth and location of the lateral line. I have also seen laterals that will have more than one section, so each one will really vary. Different companies bids can also vary widely. I am currently working with a buyer where there were two bids for the sewer lateral. One company came in at over $12,000 and the other came in at $4,500....

So unfortunately there is not really a general set price but depends on the sewer lateral itself and the company performing the work.

Hope that helps!

Lisa Cartolano
Alain Pinel Realtors
BRE 01715440
http://www.ViewOaklandHomes.com
http://www.ViewOaklandHomesBlog.com
Brian Ripp, Agent, Fremont, CA
Fri Oct 18, 2013
City of Oakland has a list of approved plumbers, might go through and call a few. $4,300 seems a little high.

It will depend on the property, so you might need a few plumber to visit the property.